Winchester 97 Project Log

Literally a box of parts. In there were the big stuff and two ziploc bags--heavy duty bags, mind you. But bags.

What I know: serial number tracks to 1906. Barrel is 22 3/8" from the shoulder to the muzzle. There's a hole to attach the bead sight. Magazine tube is there, slide is there. No mag spring nor plug.

I have not yet made an inventory of what's here. Just got it from the FFL today, so pics.

This says 12 GA then CYL. On the other side it says CYL 37

When things settle down for the night, or if I wake up at all hours, I'll start to see what I've got.

I'm pretty slow at projects, so those among us who live a life of leisure can follow, well, at your leisure. I'm writing it down so I remember what I did.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Win 97 Project Log

Thats a good start.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Win 97 Project Log

SailDesign wrote:Phew!! My first thought was "Dear God, he's not still using Windows 97 is he?" :)
I think Fingers actually still uses DOS 3.0. Or is that Linux ?

CDFingers wrote:Literally a box of parts. In there were the big stuff and two ziploc bags--heavy duty bags, mind you. But bags.

What I know: serial number tracks to 1906. Barrel is 22 3/8" from the shoulder to the muzzle. There's a hole to attach the bead sight. Magazine tube is there, slide is there. No mag spring nor plug.

I have not yet made an inventory of what's here. Just got it from the FFL today, so pics.

This says 12 GA then CYL. On the other side it says CYL 37

When things settle down for the night, or if I wake up at all hours, I'll start to see what I've got.

I'm pretty slow at projects, so those among us who live a life of leisure can follow, well, at your leisure. I'm writing it down so I remember what I did.

CDFingers

- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

Re: Winchester 97 Project Log

I'll have you young whippersnappers know I still have Netscape 1.0 on floppy. And I have a machine in the closet running Windows 97. So I went in and changed the title to Winchester.

Some assembly required.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote:I'll have you young whippersnappers know I still have Netscape 1.0 on floppy. And I have a machine in the closet running Windows 97. So I went in and changed the title to Winchester.

Some assembly required.

CDFingers
Hah! I still have a 1909 Burroughs adding machine in the basement - mechanical, accurate, make a great boat anchor some day.
I started putering in '72 with IBM, running HASP on a 360/75. Streaming tape drives, Winchester disks (cos they had 30 tracks, 30 sectors...) and (gasp!) a special 20 by 20 foot room housing the world's first ever floppy disk. :)

Happy days!
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote:
CDFingers wrote:I'll have you young whippersnappers know I still have Netscape 1.0 on floppy. And I have a machine in the closet running Windows 97. So I went in and changed the title to Winchester.

Some assembly required.

CDFingers
Hah! I still have a 1909 Burroughs adding machine in the basement - mechanical, accurate, make a great boat anchor some day.
I started putering in '72 with IBM, running HASP on a 360/75. Streaming tape drives, Winchester disks (cos they had 30 tracks, 30 sectors...) and (gasp!) a special 20 by 20 foot room housing the world's first ever floppy disk. :)

Happy days!
Friend of the family helped install the first computers for the state of Illinois. He still has 25mg hard drives the size of large suitcases, along with a ton of other things filling a 25 x 40 shed. He lives up by Queenie and is in talks with the college on setting up a museum .

He also has a nice collect of Dessert Eagles and other hand cannons.

- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

valen wrote:One of these Winchesters is high on my list of guns to purchase next. There is a gunsmith near me that refurbishes them for cowboy shooting and I'm saving my pennies to get one of his before he retires.
Southside pawn on broadway here in st.lous has a couple. 2 break downs too. Range from 330 to $399. Asking price. They do haggle down.
- Me -

-Me-

I must proof read more

Rather than start a new “Winchester 97 Project” thread I’ll just revive this one, if CdFingers doesn’t mind.
Yesterday I picked up an old (1916 production) Winchester 97E for a song. It’s in rough shape, with a chunky aftermarket stock that is itself pretty old (1950s maybe?). It shoots fine though, after generous cleaning and lubing. I plan to cut the 30” full choke barrel down to 18 1/2” with internal chokes, put on a new stock, an Evil Roy 6 round conversion kit, and some other tweaks to make it into a SASS cowboy action shotgun. It needs rebluing (I’ll pass on the gunstore’s offer to Cerakote it :o )
Stay tuned.

Missing a butt plate. Will go with an original-like steel replacement, not rubber. My shoulder may hurt, but I’ll be correct!
EC25FCCD-7B6F-47C1-B837-FED02EDE634B.jpeg
C8983277-98E9-47E1-A169-E356B5ED162D.jpeg
It’s a takedown model! Thinking, if the need ever arised, it would fit in a bug out bag ;)
3E438DF5-1E76-4F05-9819-858B278561CA.jpeg

Cold blue it your self. I've done a couple of shotgun one I got from a fire and the other out of a old barn both came out pretty good. Prep is key.the one from the barn had some pitting and came out ok blue was satiny but not even between the parts. The gun from the fire I spent days polishing the barrel mag rude and receiver and hot damn it looked hreat sadly I sold it to pay some bills but I know where it is.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

UPDATE: After a little research I’ve reconsidered shortening the barrel. So many people are chopping up ‘97 barrels that original longs are getting harder to find. I’ll keep the 30” full choke barrel for casual trap shooting (this model ruled the roost for trap around the turn of the last century). I’ll look for another short barrel to swap out when I need to. There are a lot of nice original and aftermarket barrels, stocks and butt plates available. (I hate seeing classic cars chopped up too, so staying stock suits me better).

Marlene wrote:Given how cheap and good the Chinese 97s are, that’s probably a better choice for competitive shooting anyway.

As the owner of a chopped 97 that I wish was longer, I fully support your call.

Can you link to aftermarket barrels you’ve seen?
I looked again, and the new aftermarket barrel is a 40” match barrel for $125, but it’s for a std fixed stock not a TD, sorry.
This guy has several used TD barrel lengths. The 30” costs $200 though:
http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/winchesterbarrels.htm

FrontSight wrote:CDF - Are you familiar with how the wear ring works on a '97? If not, get your google-fu going; because you need to know that.
Thanks for the heads up. I am ignorant--in general, but particularly here. I've been distracted from the project by non hobby life. Yet the box of parts sits at my feet this very minute. Nice to see this.

CDFingers