Re: It begins.....

mahkagari wrote:
nigel wrote:What is it, where did you buy it, how much finishing will you be doing? We need to know this!
Will be a Hawken replica .58 caliber percussion lock. Got it from Pecatonica River. No idea how much finishing is still needed until I really dig in. Had as much machining done as they offered in trying not to work beyond my limits.
Each project should stretch your limits a tad because there's always another project, perhaps more challenging than this one.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

One of my dads friends is a Large animal Vet , and his hobby is building these things. He has been doing it for a couple decades and produces some amazing pieces of work. My dad went and gave him most black powder guns collection, which included 4 all original civil war era rifles and a couple scatter guns. Now my dad tells me he has some parts and barrels laying around for percussion BP, no wood though. I think next trip down Ill see if I can scrounge enough to build one.

I was thinking of a kit rifle, but they are not cheap. At least for me. I saw on Dixie gun works complete built ones are sometimes even cheaper than a kit of the same gun. I cant figure that one out..

Here is a wheel gun kit that burned up when my neighbors house burned down 4 years go. He gave it to my dad for parts. My dad fixed it up, made new grips, shot it. Then last year he converted it to a 22lr.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

mahkagari wrote:
lurker wrote:that's going to be nice. what kind of wood?
Maple.
Funny, I could have sworn it was Morning Wood.

Man, I want to do a Hawken build, with Native American embellishments so badly.. uhnnnghhh..
I figure it will be the project I use to teach myself both some woodworking/finishing and metalworking skills.
Brian in StL

mahkagari wrote:
stl303 wrote:Man, I want to do a Hawken build, with Native American embellishments so badly.
How do you mean embellisments? Like decoration or period appropriate customizations?
yes, like decoration / art as I've seen several in museums. Brass tacks arranged in a design, even some turquoise inlays and so forth.. The iron of the barrel is pretty soft as well, which makes it good fodder for some engraving and "wedding bands" etc..
Brian in StL

It's been a few days now, lets hear some more info like who made the barrel, the lock and other hardware. From the pic it looks like a full stock, three barrel keys? Are you going to attach the staples on the barrel or was that done by Pecatonica? Do you have any books on building a "parts set rifle"?

Remember this, there is no place for a dremel tool in a gun building work shop. Many en expensive kit has been ruined with them.

Save your sawdust and shavings, you will need them for mixing with glue to fill in the screw ups later.

Sure would like to hear some details on how the build went, how about the staples for the barrel keys, how are they attached and did you do it your self?

You were wise to choose the full stock version rather then the half stock, the half stock with a tapered barrel is the most difficult build. Tough one for a first build.

Bet you cant wait to shoot it. Feel proud.