Re: surf fishing

I kept that one because it swallowed the hook, it seemed too big for eating but it actually turned out quite well on the grill.

My wife caught one much bigger but I wasn't able to get a pic on my camera because I was in the water and it was out of the water just long enough for the wife to get a pic on her phone and then it was released, I estimated its weight to be close to 20lbs. We were using 40 pound braided line with 30 pound mono for leaders and cut mullet for bait. Red Drum fight so hard it took a few times experimenting with different knots before we had any success. Much harder fight than any Musky or Norther Pike that I've ever caught.

Wow! Good job! Looks like Florida has awesome fishing. I dsid a lot of surf fishing here just after the Santa Barbara oil spill, and all I caught were sand sharks and stingrays. Oh, and one 3 inch halibut that got hooked through the side.

I wish I could do that. Looks like fun and a great way to tune out the world . even if you dont catch a thing.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

eelj wrote:Red Drum fight so hard it took a few times experimenting with different knots before we had any success. Much harder fight than any Musky or Norther Pike that I've ever caught.
Just use your normal knots but begin with overlapping / doubling the line

DragonPost wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 am I know this is an old forum, but I would like to know an area with beautiful and big fish ? Can anyone advise me?
draggin' will probably be back in a couple of days with links to rods and reels or vacation trips to bali. patience.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

DragonPost wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 am I know this is an old forum, but I would like to know the area with the beautiful and big fish ? Can anyone advise me? I was planning a vacation alone to go somewhere and go fishing. I want to get away from everything and everyone for a few days so that I can collect my thoughts, and one of the ways is: fishing and surfing. But surfing is when I want the adrenaline. I've been surfing since I was a little kid, and I have my own collection of boards on this site glidesup.com . Fishing is when you want to recharge only with quiet energy and put all your thoughts in their place and thus become more motivated and efficient.
here it is. reported.
spam.JPG
coincidentally ;), leliel is back, too. and marduk.

cooper wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am :thumbup:
i'm not always first on the scene, but i'm persistent. and my technique is evolving, i'm finding it useful to write down the usernames (on paper) based on the profile and search their posts every day or so.
Last edited by lurker on Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've only had a few chances to fight a tough fish--Mahi Mahi, and barracuda. You need a steel leader for 'cuda, because they bite right through anything less. Fresh caught and deep fried it's delicious--but you can only eat it if there's no reefs around...otherwise there are toxins they ingest that make it too dangerous to eat.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 am I've only had a few chances to fight a tough fish--Mahi Mahi, and barracuda. You need a steel leader for 'cuda, because they bite right through anything less. Fresh caught and deep fried it's delicious--but you can only eat it if there's no reefs around...otherwise there are toxins they ingest that make it too dangerous to eat.
Have never caught barracuda, but have eaten it in Abidjan years ago. Yummy!

Surf fishing here means walking to the beach (5 or 10 minutes) and trying for blues of stripers. Bluefish need a wire leader for the same reasons barracuda do, but in general stripers won't touch metal. You have to just make up your mind which you're trying for before you start. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 am I've only had a few chances to fight a tough fish--Mahi Mahi, and barracuda. You need a steel leader for 'cuda, because they bite right through anything less. Fresh caught and deep fried it's delicious--but you can only eat it if there's no reefs around...otherwise there are toxins they ingest that make it too dangerous to eat.

Surf fishing here means walking to the beach (5 or 10 minutes) and trying for blues of stripers. Bluefish need a wire leader for the same reasons barracuda do, but in general stripers won't touch metal. You have to just make up your mind which you're trying for before you start. :)
But when you eat as leftovers it degrades noticeably. Barracuda fight like hell but they don't have a lot of stamina.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 pm

But when you eat as leftovers it degrades noticeably. Barracuda fight like hell but they don't have a lot of stamina.
Yup. They're like greyhounds - sight hunters who rely on speed and not much else... But Oh, so yummy when bought fresh off the boat an hour before eating. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

SailDesign wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:34 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:36 pm

Yup. They're like greyhounds - sight hunters who rely on speed and not much else... But Oh, so yummy when bought fresh off the boat an hour before eating. :)
I've only eaten those I, my sons, or a friend had caught.