Any other Sig 229 owners here? Let's talk holsters.

I'm not having much luck finding a holster that works for me. Too bad there isn't a holster library or rental place that would allow me to test drive different models.

If any of you all have one for a 229 I could borrow for a bit, I'd happily pay for shipping and a drink or two of your choice.

I'm mostly interested in a comfortable IWB holster. The Galco Summer Comfort and Milt Sparks VM2 are high on the list to try.

Any other Sig 229 owners here? Let's talk holsters.

senorgrand wrote:The 229 is really hard to ccw, imho. With an IWB holster, it's like carying a lead brick in your pants.

YMMV, but it is possible that you might not find a holster that works for you.
I'm starting to reach that conclusion too. I love this gun but damn, it's a fat little bastard. Haven't found a spot that is comfortable to wear in all situations.
Last edited by Maccabee on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Any other Sig 229 owners here? Let's talk holsters.

I had a cheap OWB holster that I carried my p229 around in for a day. Damn, that was a heavy bastard, even with a California-neutered magazine. It also stuck out like a sore thumb.

There isn't much difference between a 226 and a 229, and the 226 is a full size service pistol. The 229 probably requires a shoulder rig to ccw.

Maybe just buy a paddle holster for oc/home defense?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

i've got a crossbreed supertuck IWB, and i think it's well made and sturdy if you've got the right belt. my one complaint, aside from how fat the pistol is, is that if you carry anywhere on the back of your waist and sit down, your going to release the mag when you lean against the back of whatever you're sitting on. so when you stand up you have to reach back and re-engage the mag.
please don't take anything I say personally, I am an idiot.

sean wrote:i've got a crossbreed supertuck IWB, and i think it's well made and sturdy if you've got the right belt. my one complaint, aside from how fat the pistol is, is that if you carry anywhere on the back of your waist and sit down, your going to release the mag when you lean against the back of whatever you're sitting on. so when you stand up you have to reach back and re-engage the mag.
That is a pretty serious design flaw, imo.

Maccabee wrote:
sean wrote:i've got a crossbreed supertuck IWB, and i think it's well made and sturdy if you've got the right belt. my one complaint, aside from how fat the pistol is, is that if you carry anywhere on the back of your waist and sit down, your going to release the mag when you lean against the back of whatever you're sitting on. so when you stand up you have to reach back and re-engage the mag.
That is a pretty serious design flaw, imo.
Agreed, giving them a call to figure out a resolution is on my to-do list..

Have you looked at AlienGear? http://aliengearholsters.com/iwb-holsters.html

Good quality product at reasonable rates and great warranty and I believe still have their 30 day trial. Plus it can swap shells if you change pistol.

http://aliengearholsters.com/warranty
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I carry a double stack IWB and have found the most comfortable spot to carry is about 2:30. Just ahead of the 3:00 position (which gets in the way of my arm while walking and seems to just stick out more somehow), that way it's in a reachable spot while driving and in a place where I'm not leaning back on it while sitting (in the car or anywhere else). Any further forward and it's digging into my belly or front of my thigh, plus I'm not a fan of pointing the muzzle any closer to my femoral artery than I have to. I always thought I'd carry at 4 or 5 o'clock, but when I actually started daily wear, 2:30 works the best for me. So far, even people who know I carry haven't noticed it.

Hope that helps. But everybody's different!
-Kat
Illinois Chapter President
LGC Certified Instructor, Intro to Pistol and Range Safety

Look what I just discovered about my new Blade-Tech Classic OWB during class yesterday:

https://youtu.be/SdqeqvQTDzA

Maccabee wrote:Email from Blade-Tech:

"I am very sorry to hear about the miss in production on the Classic OWB. Looks like it was not sanded down quite enough and that is causing the issue. I am more than happy to get it back to us and fix it for you. I can send a FedEx return label as well."
super late follow-up, but that's nice of them. i decided to take a knife and dig into the leather a little bit to hollow out a spot where it gets pressed...which was easy to find because the knurling had embedded a mark into the leather haha.
let us know how it ended up for you.

sean wrote:
Maccabee wrote:Email from Blade-Tech:

"I am very sorry to hear about the miss in production on the Classic OWB. Looks like it was not sanded down quite enough and that is causing the issue. I am more than happy to get it back to us and fix it for you. I can send a FedEx return label as well."
super late follow-up, but that's nice of them. i decided to take a knife and dig into the leather a little bit to hollow out a spot where it gets pressed...which was easy to find because the knurling had embedded a mark into the leather haha.
let us know how it ended up for you.
I took a dremel to it and it’s been fine since.

I had the very same problem with Sig's OWN holster for the P320 Compact. I have the RX model and Sig told me "Oh, we never intended the REGULAR p320 Compact holster to fit the P320 RX Compact! Sorry!"

So I took a sawzall with a hack-saw blade, and slowly thinned the front-sight slot that was jamming the pistol. I was able to remove enough material that the RX fits in both nicely and snugly, the way the regular P320 Compact would fit. Cheapest solution, and it WORKS! :mrgreen:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I AIWB carry a 229 SAS in a Trex Arms kydex holster, small one. It does well. I wouldn't recommend them anymore even though the product is great based on Lucas' dumbass homophobic rants on social media, etc. But a low profile kydex holster does well. I also use a Milt Sparks VM2 on occasion for a 1911 and it's a nice piece.

Please stay away from Alien Gear, that stuff is amateur hour and dangerous. I owned one for about an hour once and at least they have a good return policy.

jamhand wrote:How is the Alien Gear holster dangerous? Curious because I have one of their OWB holsters on order for my 229.
Poor fitment is common around triggers and safeties with AG. I have a buddy on another forum that had one and it kept taking the safety off his 1911. Too bulky and that neoprene has no business on a serious holster in my opinion. And who wants a less-than-serious holster? No personal experience with the OWB model though.

Someone posted a link the other day (on one of our Facebook groups, i think) and now I can't find it, was about a guy who shot himself using an AG holster and was blaming it. Of course, it well could have been operator error.