First outing - S&W 48.

Well, this little guy, a 48-7 in 22WMR, had its first outing today.
_SCB1639_resize_resize.jpg
I had some ammo saved up for the Ruger Single-Six, so I dug into the stash and found some CCI Maxi-Mag (30 gr), a bunch of CCI's "Chute 'Em" WMRs (the 200 bulk packs, 40 gr) and some Hornady V-Max Varmints in 30gr.

To start with, the Maxi-Mags in the nickel-plated cases were appalling in this pistol. All over the place. The Chute 'ems were reasonable (see target below)
CCI Chute em.jpg
I wish I could claim the centre group was one cylinder ,and the outliers were the second, when I was tired, but no such luck...

Best of the bunch was the Hornady, which I expected to be the worst. Such is life.....
Hornady V-Max.jpg
The flyer was the first shot, snapped when the guy next to me decided to let one go before I expected him to. <sigh>

Operationally, it was silky-smooth as one would hope. I did not try to DA trigger pull, but the SA felt about 2.5 to 3 lbs which is perfect for a range toy. The grips were good, but I have a second set of Ahrends' finger-grooves on the way to see if they improve things.

Oh - all shooting done standing, 2-handed, at 10 yards. Close enough to see what's happening, far enough to see the spread. Ypu - moar sight adjustment needed, but I was happy enough to just see the groups form.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Re: First outing - S&W 48.

Bucolic wrote:Nice! You gonna use that for the next bullseye match?
It would allow me to enter the rimfire open sights division, leaving the Ruger for the glass division. :)

If Ruger get me "updated" from the recall in time.... Still have 3 other types of 22WMR to try out, including their A22, developed for the Savage of that name. Should work fine in a pistol...

Marlene wrote:I thought a 48 was a J?

J is smaller and grips don't share with larger frames. K&L share grips.
Aaah - MY S&W noob-NESS shines through. :)

Yes, the 48 is a K, and you are absolutely right (as you knew)- it is the "L" that is shares grips with...

I've never shot a 48. That's a neat gun. Love the target front sight!

Modern J-Frame (numbered model) guns are made for informal carry, so they have stiff mainsprings to prevent accidents. They often have really fine SA pull, however. K-Frames can be given a buttery smooth DA pull. I can shoot my Chow tuned 19-3 in DA almost as good as SA.