SIG Suppressor - the long wait begins

My birthday gift to myself this year is a SIG 556 QD suppressor. Stopped by the LGS this afternoon, filled out the paperwork, had my picture taken, and fingerprint cards completed. The guys at the store are very experienced with the process, so everything was done quickly and efficiently, but with great care. Now I have to sit and wait until.. Spring of 2018? I want instant gratification, dammit. :yucky:

Re: SIG Suppressor - the long wait begins

You can get any number of suppressors on Amazon for $15 to $45. If you think about it really hard, you'll realize that you run about the same risk having an undocumented suppressor as you do having a fully blessed one. You're also likely to discover, about 15 minutes after getting one, that it's about as much fun as a flat basketball. You could buy a case of ammo for what you spend on a blessed one.

Just my cranky opinion, of course. Based on having a friend who is Federal DOJ who goes shooting with me, and long discussions resulting therefrom.

pokute wrote:You can get any number of suppressors on Amazon for $15 to $45. If you think about it really hard, you'll realize that you run about the same risk having an undocumented suppressor as you do having a fully blessed one. You're also likely to discover, about 15 minutes after getting one, that it's about as much fun as a flat basketball. You could buy a case of ammo for what you spend on a blessed one.

Just my cranky opinion, of course. Based on having a friend who is Federal DOJ who goes shooting with me, and long discussions resulting therefrom.

I spent a lot of time leading up to my purchase considering the pros and cons. The months long wait time, paperwork hassle, and fairly substantial expense associated with a suppressor definitely caused me to think hard about: Why do I want it? Is it worth the money and aggravation? I would definitely appreciate a lower decibel level when shooting an AR indoors at my usual range. Muffs + plugs combo for pistol shooting is okay, but still seems inadequate when I shoot rifle indoors. Plus my short barrel 5.56 pistol is obnoxiously loud, even outdoors. It would be nice to tame the noise if possible. I have no hearing in my right ear, so I am very careful about protecting my left ear and making sure it still works in my senior years. And there is an undeniable coolness factor in owning an accessory that is not easily accessible to the rest of the public. I had some extra cash on hand after selling off a highly marketable but seldom shot gun, so I decided to go for it.

I have yet to hear of the suppressor police sweeping through local shooting ranges to verify proper documentation. Someone illegally using a suppressor could very well operate undetected. But what if that person gets in trouble with the law for some other reason, even a minor offense, and they discover an undocumented suppressor squirreled away in the gun safe? Suddenly you're looking at whole lot of trouble that threatens your right to lawfully own firearms from that point forward. Not worth the risk.

I own three suppressors. Knowing what I do now about the process, paperwork, and expense; I have to tell you, that I would do it all over again in a heart beat. I don't shoot the 30-06 enough to "justify" the purchase, but what it "adds" to the experience is worth it. In that platform, the reduction is recoil is amaz-balls. Like you, I have a short barreled 5.56. The soul shaking boom is a life changing event. However, sometimes you just want to shoot the thing with out jarring the fillings out of the guy shooting next to you. My third suppressor might have been the store owner talking me into it. he showed off the quietness by shooting a round inside his store. He has a rig set up for just such displays. The price was right, so I put it on the front of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. With sub-sonic rounds, it sounds like you're shooting a pellet gun. The biggest problem with all of the ATF paperwork is if you ever sell the stuff, same waiting period for the buyer. Also, heaven forbid you die. Your executor will have to deal with the transfer.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote:I own three suppressors. Knowing what I do now about the process, paperwork, and expense; I have to tell you, that I would do it all over again in a heart beat. I don't shoot the 30-06 enough to "justify" the purchase, but what it "adds" to the experience is worth it. In that platform, the reduction is recoil is amaz-balls. Like you, I have a short barreled 5.56. The soul shaking boom is a life changing event. However, sometimes you just want to shoot the thing with out jarring the fillings out of the guy shooting next to you. My third suppressor might have been the store owner talking me into it. he showed off the quietness by shooting a round inside his store. He has a rig set up for just such displays. The price was right, so I put it on the front of a Ruger 10/22 Takedown. With sub-sonic rounds, it sounds like you're shooting a pellet gun. The biggest problem with all of the ATF paperwork is if you ever sell the stuff, same waiting period for the buyer. Also, heaven forbid you die. Your executor will have to deal with the transfer.
Yeah, both the resale and inheritance issues did cross my mind. I went into it assuming I'm never going to recoup any money by trying to sell it.

I considered buying a second suppressor at the same time to use on 9mm pistols and possibly a future sub gun or pistol caliber rifle. They're not cheap though, so I will wait and see how it goes with the rifle suppressor.

TxChinaman wrote:I have yet to hear of the suppressor police sweeping through local shooting ranges to verify proper documentation. Someone illegally using a suppressor could very well operate undetected.
My local range checks paperwork when folks come in with suppressors, SBRs, and other toys, and they're small enough that undetected isn't likely to happen.
TxChinaman wrote:Not worth the risk.
Agreed.

I set up a trust for the suppressor and put all of my firearms on/in it. If anything happens to me in the next three years and my dad's still around, he secures my toys until my son turns 18 when everything transfers to him. Trusts are nice tools and pretty inexpensive.