securing a pistol in the car

There are times, like the post office, where I need to secure my gun in the car. Neither the glove box nor the console box have locks. I looked at a variety of small lock boxes with cables that secure around the seat frame and can slide under the seat.
However, on my Corolla there is a hump in front of the seat and nothing can be slid under the seat. I could put the lock box under the seat from behind, or put it in the trunk. But then I have to get out of the car and let everyone see I am hiding something.

Anyone have some good, safe, secure ideas for stashing a gun from the drivers seat??? All answers greatly appreciated.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Re: securing a pistol in the car

Cheap & easy? One of those cable gun locks attached somewhere under the passenger seat, through the trigger-guard.

You're not gonna drive with it secured there are you?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Not familiar with your car, but if it has door pockets that's what I use to hold my NV300 with security cable around drivers bottom door hinge arm (F150 PU). It won't stop a thief with cable cutters or a good pry bar, but will slow them down enough to move on or stop a snatch and run.

http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/nano-vault.html

Edit: It can also be screw mounted to backside or inside center console (if you have one) or in the glove box if big enough.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

+1 for the nano vault, though it may not work with the hump. Here is the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200-N ... =gun+vault

It lives out of sight under the front passenger seat. While I could access it from inside the (truck, in my case), I usually choose a discreet moment to open the back door and deposit the firearm into the box. I use it only for those times when I cannot carry, or it would be impractical to carry, when I am close to my vehicle and only for very short term. It's not the kind of storage solution where I would be able to access it rapidly from inside the car.

Good luck on your search and let us know what solution works out!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Addendum to my earlier post:

While I'm discreet placing pistol in NV when forced to, I'm not when it comes to reholstering. It's easy to unholster, but dangerous IMO trying to do so when seated (I carry condition 1), so I stand by my truck with door open, remove pistol from NV, and then reholster (under untucked shirt OWB) semi-discreetly - don't really care if anyone sees me at this point. The lone exception is Post Office, since it's illegal (as I understand it) to even have a pistol on postal property in any fashion.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

My NV300 took a dump yesterday and way out of warranty. The plastic stem that holds internal twist locking latch ears/lugs broke off which releases "C" clip that holds latch in place. My first lock failure was shortly after buying when combo dials wouldn't work, but was replaced by warranty.

Don't know if this is a recent happening, but appears Gun Vault is now part of Cannon Safes. So I fill in a web questionnaire to see if I can buy parts to repair. I get a response that tells me my problem is solved and to go to their web sight and create an account under the email addy I used and all would be well. NOT! Canned response and no answer about parts availability. said to see FAQs are ask community. I'll opt for calling.

So call this morning. Get Cannon, explain problem - he was confused as apparently didn't hear me say it was an NV300 Gun Vault, so said it again - they transfer me to Gun Vault rep. I explain problem three times as obvious they had no idea what I was talking about. Finally think we got on same page as he took my name, address, and then gave me a order confirmation number. But I still didn't know what they were shipping. Pinned him down as to what he was sending - said basically entire lock - couldn't determine if that included combo lock portion, too. Said it would ship soon and it was no charge (I have two units, both bought in Feb. 2012). So now I wait to see if I get what I need to repair. If I do I will be surprised, but will give them kudos if the get it right.

In the interim, I jury rigged the latch retainer system using a self tapping screw, flat washer and a plastic spacer from an under cabinet mounted coffee maker (I never throw anything away that appears it could be useful) I didn't use some 15 years ago. The ears are lugs that position/orient the latch itself are intact, it was just the ears/lugs that "C" clip needed to keep all together.

Received new combo lock on 8/11. Won't work. Unable to move A-to-B lever switch to set combo and while new combo set to 000 it still won't allow moving of knob to open and close NV300. So send web site message telling Cannon/GunVault. Rec'd response yesterday on web site asking when I bought and if I have original receipt. I'm thinking this is going to turn into a cluster fk.