Re: Red dot v traditional scope

I love red dots my arms length vision sucks. I have a 2x red dot which is great but I also have micro red dots For a 10/22 go with a 50-60 dollar one and you will have a great plinking shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

Maccabee wrote:I was hoping for <$100. I haven't tried a red dot yet and want to test the waters before committing to a larger sum.
I like my Bushnell TRS-25 very much, <$70 on Amazon. It's a little clunkier than a Primary Arms, but costs less than 1/2 as much and works very nicely with a 3MOA.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I have had good luck with TruGlo and Sightmark red dots. I have two of the Sightmarks on my lightweight Kidd 10/22s and they work great. You can get them for under $100 They are pretty big for a pistol but would allow you to evaluate. If you do decide to go with one, I would strongly recommend one you can mount on your dovetail rather than on a rail. Mounting them up high means you will be doing a lot of adjustments to height as a function of range. Similar triangles and all that...

Maccabee wrote:Bumping an old (but not quite zombie) thread here...

I'm looking for a cheap red dot to try out but there are a zillion options. So, having said that, any recommendations for a cheap sight?

Edit: I should clarify that it's for my S&W Victory and mostly bullseye/target shooting.
I have a spare in a box in the garage that came on a used gun purchase that I don't/won't ever use. Don't recall the brand but it's definitely cheap--good for plinking and/or evaluation to see if a red dot is right for you (it will be, but you'll want to upgrade). Let me look this weekend to see if I can find it and I'll post a photo. I believe it is a rail mount-type. Free to good home if it will work for your purposes and you want it (I do have to find it first!).

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Maccabee wrote:I was hoping for <$100. I haven't tried a red dot yet and want to test the waters before committing to a larger sum.
I like my Bushnell TRS-25 very much, <$70 on Amazon. It's a little clunkier than a Primary Arms, but costs less than 1/2 as much and works very nicely with a 3MOA.
I found a used TRS-25 for $45 that is headed my way. Hopefully trying it out next weekend!

Bob3 wrote: That being said; when shopping for red dots, there's a big difference in dot size among the different brands & models, try to find something that maintains a smaller dot at distance, it's a place to start, at least... and some magnification wouldn't hurt.
I've been shooting a red dot in competition this year. An 8 MOA dot is fine for 30 yards, on either pistol or rifle. A red dot isn't for precision but it isn't hard to group within an inch offhand at 25 yards with a rifle.

Maccabee wrote:
YankeeTarheel wrote:
I found a used TRS-25 for $45 that is headed my way. Hopefully trying it out next weekend!
Look forward to your review. It's pretty simple, but it does work nicely on my Beretta Cx4 carbine.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."