Re: Reloading - The Time vs. Money Trade-Off

That's been my experience. But, also, I really enjoy reloading for its own sake.
Then there's the the insurance of being able have ammo when I want it, not when I can find it at the store.
Sorry if this was addressed upthread...
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I can spend as much as I want on ammo, but don't need much.

I've been shooting all kinds of weapons all my life and a little fine-tuning now and then is
all the practice I need.

I have intentionally trimmed my caliber list to the most common and available calibers and
have no desire to own a .35 Whelen or a .225 Winchester again.

Thus, reloading holds no allure for me.....plus I don't have the time for it.

(Truly, I think I'd be really bad at it......my absent-minded mind could cause a lack of attention to
detail that could be harmful to my health.)

:albert: :albert: :albert:
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off to conserve energy.

I have been thinking about this reloading thing and it is not a "one size fits all"...Personally I have not fired a factory round in over a year and even then it was only to accumulate the brass. For me, and it's different for everyone, the biggest reason I reload is that it allows me to shoot super premium SD rounds (we carry what I load as well) for like 15 cents a round as opposed to over a $ a pop for super duper factory SD ammunition.

I practice with the exact same round that I will defend my life with...if, Gaad forbid, I *ever* have to pull the trigger in SD I will be shooting the exact same round I have sent down range thousands upon thousands of times without fail. That brings a Peace to me that cannot be purchased. I build SD rounds for the exact gun it will be fired in and depend upon to save my life or my Wife's life.

That's just part of the concealed carry for SD thing for me.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Before I took up handloading, I wasn't so sure it would work in my favor. Now I know it clearly works in my favor, and how.

Then, I took it further and started casting bullets. All I can say is, "Daaaamn". Even if I'm paying $0.60 per pound of lead, I can crank 50 rounds of 255 grain 45 Colt; bullets (not ACP), for $4.31. And it gets better; there is no leading at all, and my groups are better than I could gotten with any factory ammo, or by using commercial cast bullets, which by the way, are unbelievably crappy due to their mega hardness and shitty lube.

Of course, there is a cost to this: time, and that is something that is in short supply for a lot of folks.
But if you have the time, casting beautiful bullets is a pleasure that must be experienced to be believed.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

Simmer down wrote:Reloading benefit for me is more than money. ... What I get is a relaxing activity that lets me expand my shooting experience. It is a way for me to get my Tinkering Fix. It fulfills my inner miser. I like to try to master things and this is often a challenge.
Exactly this. I was explaining to a person I know that by reloading, I not only save money on ammo, I extend the amount of time I get to engage in the shooting hobby. Instead of going to the store, buying some rounds, and popping them off in an hour -- I get a chance to think about what I want to shoot, how I want it to behave, I get to listen to audiobooks while I make it, compare different loads, and so on. In this way it not only stretches the dollar (I would reload even if it was more expensive though), it helps me understand the firearms better. I think ammo is generally thought of as consumable when reality, it is an integral part of the machine.

Inquisitor wrote:It begs the questions, which one of my friends is the "one old guy who barely knows what he is doing" you are talking about.
I do not agree with the practice of using brass more than 8 times.

I believe brass needs to be kept in the lots it was acquired in.

I do not believe in not trimming cases to the correct length.

I do not believe in not checking head space

i do not believe in not using a manual to work up loads

different powders have different burn rates,

I do not believe in using any die but a full size die

I do not believe in not cleaning brass, it has nothing to do with bling,
dirt scratch's the die, which marks the brass

yes I said these things on another forum, i stand behind what I say, I do not run and hide

you are making a bomb and setting it off next to your face.

I am a member on a couple more forums and a mod on another, If you want to know where just ask

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdispla ... ion-Boards

http://www.plumbingforums.com/forum/index.php

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php

2 more that i will not tell you about.

anything else you want to know ?

I have not brought up my political affiliation, I do not believe it is any of your business or anyone elses

but since you seem to be pushing. I am conservative/republican not real sure

i vote on issues not party lines

I believe in the constitution
I believe in God and my country
I am against abortion for birth control but for it for emergencys and rape/incest
I believe in small government
I believe LEGAL immigrants should come here and prosper
but ILLEGAL aliens should have to leave
I believe christian values are being attacked
I really do not give a damn who pees where...just put a male sign on the door so i am not confused
I do not give a damn who marries who or what they do. just do not do it in front of me.
I believe a baker should be able to bake a cake/ or not for who ever he wants. it is his business
run it the way you want.

Marlene wrote:I believe you are mistaken about a great many things.

One of them is that a lead sled is anything but garbage designed to collect the money of people who can't shoot.

I too agree that Christian values are under attack, but I expect we disagree as the where from.

''I believe you are mistaken about a great many things. ''

LOL >LOL yeah, story of my life, I am not perfect,

I agree with you on the lead sled, It is not to be used to target shoot,
I use it to accurately gather information when shooting thru the chrony

It holds the gun and takes the human factor out of the equation, lets you work on the balistics alone

I do not know if i explained that correct.

christian values are being attacked from with in, our family unit/values are broken down,

we as a nation need the family unit to be strong, the only way to achieve this is jobs and education

Frodo wrote:
Marlene wrote:I believe you are mistaken about a great many things.

One of them is that a lead sled is anything but garbage designed to collect the money of people who can't shoot.

I too agree that Christian values are under attack, but I expect we disagree as the where from.

''I believe you are mistaken about a great many things. ''

LOL >LOL yeah, story of my life, I am not perfect,

I agree with you on the lead sled, It is not to be used to target shoot,
I use it to accurately gather information when shooting thru the chrony

It holds the gun and takes the human factor out of the equation, lets you work on the balistics alone

I do not know if i explained that correct.

christian values are being attacked from with in, our family unit/values are broken down,

we as a nation need the family unit to be strong, the only way to achieve this is jobs and education
Dint family units take care of each other when in need? Until we can get the education and jobs you speak of, we need to help our family unit members who are less fortunate. Not just the ones we personally like or agree with, but all.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

I enjoy the art of reloading working up the load to match the gun.
I use a Auto Progressive press. So when I'm loading rifle cartridges I hand drop and measure my powder I can load about 20 rounds in 30min. When I'm running hand gun ammo I and run 100 to 150+ in a hour.
When I did the math I'm about 1500 buck in to the equipment and when you look that I shoot Cowboy action and 45LC that cost close to $.95 a round for factory loads I can load them for 10 to 20 cents a round and I and when you figure I shoot 3000 to 4000 rounds of 45LC so yes it is worth the time and cost.

Also my daughter likes to reload with me so if it cost me 5 dollars a round it was worth every cent.
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

I'm a big reloader of .308 Win, .30-06 Spr, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt.

I've taken it a step further - I swage my own bullets for these loads.

While I might stockpile components ( a little bit; I keep ~1000 primers and maybe a pound of pistol powder and a pound of rifle powder handy) I don't really stockpile rounds. I tend to start them the night before a day at the range and finish them off before I head out to the range. This being said I don't load up a whole lot; ~20 rounds for a benchrest day is plenty!

While case sizing and priming cases kinda sucks, I love weighing out powder (trying to get each round to +/- 0.1 grains) and seating the bullets.

Swaging the bullets is REALLY cool though - cutting little pieces of lead, adjusting the die set just right, and squeezing these little random pieces of lead wire into perfect bullets (in the case of .45) or making cores for .308 bullets which then get seated into jackets and point formed. As the .308 process is fairly finicky, involves a bunch of different dies, and a whole lot of attention - needless to say I'm NOT stockpiling here, but very carefully making just enough for a range day and enjoying all of the steps in the process. (Except priming which I've always found frustrating.)

Cost savings? Nah. I just enjoy the process as I think it adds to the whole shooting experience. When you achieve sub-MOA groups at 100 yards with rounds you know you've pretty much made yourself - it's a satisfying feeling!