garand accessories

when i can't afford guns, i buy accessories. these are for a garand.

grenade launcher, "projector". accepts hand grenade. had a pair of inert dummies for it but gave them away. if i still had them, i'd call them Donald and Mike. (inert dummies, donald and mike, get it? i'm such a card).
grenade launcher rifle attachment, "spigot". locks onto bayonet lug. projector slides over the end. this one's missing a spring.
30-06 blank cartridge, used to launch grenade. i believe they used a special blank, not just any old blank would do.
on left, cleaning kit oil dipper. on rt., pull-thru and bore brush.
old-style chromed brass cleaning kit. 2 compartments. issued with m1903s and early ww2 garands. fit in the hole in the stock.
left: late- and post-war cleaning kit, plastic. right: two grease tubs. yellow grease is ww2 vintage. brown grease is post-war. yes, that grease has been in there for 70+ years.
rifle multi-tool. bolt wrench, gas cylinder wrench, chamber brush. fit in the other hole in the stock.
LUGO0790.JPG
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: garand accessories

I want a Garand buddy that you slip in to hold the bolt open and to catch your cleaning patch. I've got my buttstock filled with the proper stuff, but don't have the grenade launcher attachment. You gotta get a bayo, though, a must-have accessory--like a Rolex on a pimp.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

if i ever get a 2nd garand it will be for a special project, involving modifying the receiver to accept my BAR mag. would require shaving the inside of the receiver legs, modifying the clip release to hold/drop the magazine. it's been done, but not sure it's a good idea. want to try it, even though it's sacrilege to mutilate a garand. someone stop me, please.
i have a bayonet, just didn't bother to get it out. also have the ammo belt and a couple of bandoliers. and some more ww2 vintage non-garand items. i'm a packrat/collector.
shit of goat is reserved for the AR15 :shifty: not for the garand.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I bought a Garand that had the grease pot in the butt and a piece of cloth stuffed down on it, I imagine to keep it from banging around. The cloth was floral, I think with cherries. Not sure if those were standard issue or arsenal rebuild addition.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:I bought a Garand that had the grease pot in the butt and a piece of cloth stuffed down on it, I imagine to keep it from banging around. The cloth was floral, I think with cherries. Not sure if those were standard issue or arsenal rebuild addition.
yes, very likely to keep it from rattling.
pretty sure the floral print was not issue. however, as i'm fond of saying, what is camo, but a floral print?

not necessarily garand, nor even ww2.
US M1 helmet, late ww2. liner not original, 50s i think. came with a note:
"former property of (helmet shell only)
Hudson D. Gill ###E. Holmes Rd. Memphis, TN
HQ co. 714 armored tank Batt 12th Armored Division -Hellcats-"
12th landed in france after d-day, liberated Landsberg concentration camp, was involved in "Battle of Castle Itter"
captured wehrner von braun, adolph eichmann
shell:
LUGO0791.JPG
liner:
LUGO0794.JPG

next up, a ww1 US m1917. used into start of ww2.
don't know much about this. rough copy of the british ww1 helmet. many americans wore british helmets early in the war, british did not wear american helmets. lots of subtle differences, but the tell-tale is the rivets on the sides. this is american, british used split rivets. notable feature is name "Heldenstrom" written in pencil on chinstrap. this one's in pretty good shape.
LUGO0792.JPG
LUGO0795.JPG

this one makes me sad.
this was my grandfather's ww1 m1917 helmet. he was a sgt. in the US signal corps, learned to fly while in england, (don't know that he ever flew again until we scattered his ashes from a balloon) on his way to france. he told a story of helping catch a german spy signalling to enemy troops across a valley with truck headlamps. don't know if true. i have some of his papers.
this is in terrible shape as you can see. my brother kept it for 20 years in a drafty humid garage next to a pile of scrap metal. :cry:
LUGO0793.JPG
LUGO0796.JPG

US ww2 vintage pistol belt markings, illegible.
1911 mag pouch, 1945.
holster, post-korea.ww2 holsters were brown leather
canteen cover, 1945
canteen, 1968. aluminum ww2 examples are getting a little rare, so much so that you can buy reproductions. i remember having one as a kid, and a gas mask and bag, too. back when actual www2 surplus was ubiquitous and cheap. who knows what became of it?
LUGO0800.JPG
ww2 vintage ammo belt, illegible.
LUGO0802.JPG
post ww2 bandolier, loaded clip in cardboard insert, en-bloc clips, cardboard insert.
LUGO0803.JPG
Last edited by lurker on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and finally, the 10" m1 bayonet. some bayonets were cut down from the ww1 vintage m1905 16" bayonet. this is originally made for the garand by Utica Cutlery which made bayonets from ww1 through the korean conflict.
the scabbard is post-ww2 danish, marked with a crown and "HTK', to go with garands given to re-arm denmark after the war.
LUGO0804.JPG

lurker wrote:if i ever get a 2nd garand it will be for a special project, involving modifying the receiver to accept my BAR mag. would require shaving the inside of the receiver legs, modifying the clip release to hold/drop the magazine. it's been done, but not sure it's a good idea. want to try it, even though it's sacrilege to mutilate a garand. someone stop me, please.
i have a bayonet, just didn't bother to get it out. also have the ammo belt and a couple of bandoliers. and some more ww2 vintage non-garand items. i'm a packrat/collector.
not for the garand. shit of goat is reserved for the AR15 :shifty:
Lurker have you seen these https://www.classicfirearms.com/bm-59-s ... 08-caliber

It's a Garand .. originally converted by the Italians by Beretta to magazine fed and to 7.62 x51

20 minute video with history and how they were built these are built on new receivers and no existing Garand's were harmed making them.... https://www.classicfirearms.com/video/i ... bm59-rifle

drigeba wrote:Lot's of goodies for budding WW2 re-enactors...

:thumbup:
true. i'd do it myself if i were younger and didn't mind shaving. i do know a couple of 20-somethings who do ww2, gave them my dummy grenades, grenade pouch, bandage pouch, e-tool and a 1918-dated khaki 1911 mag pouch when i left TN. i'm just not dead/ready to part with this stuff yet.

lurker wrote:
HuckleberryFun wrote:Since I have the accessory I must now get my Garand from CMP. It's the Law. ;)
20171024_192045_resized.jpg
yes, it is. doesn't matter where you get it, though. cmp is good. gun shop is good. it's all good.
I think it does matter where you get your Garand. Some folks that have Garand's like to fiddle around with them and swap parts trying to hump up an "all correct" Garand and a lot of those folks lose interest or find an easier Garand to fake and sell the rifle on to whoever.. here is the problem, swapping bolts and other pieces, for safety reasons, require head spacing and with Garand's sometimes also timing adjustments, .. those checks are often not done.. and many folks, some of which I know, don't give a damn if a part is worn or serviceable so long s it has the correct markings .. they will replace otherwise perfectly good parts with worn or ( formerly) rusty pitted parts that they tried to make look good if the part numbers make the rifle "correct" It isn't about how well a rifle shoots or the actual condition of the parts.. some of these people never shoot the rifle.. they just buy it as cheap as they can and start swapping parts until they can claim it is "all correct" and sell it for as high a price as possible

Read this classic article by Ernie Pyle https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/mism ... nds.39091/

CMP Garand's are inspected for serviceability and safety and gauged and checked to be within tolerances and repaired with good parts if needed.

US WW2 Rifles have got to be the most humped and faked guns in the world, and with little or no care about safety or function.. no profit in that.. what brings in the bucks is the rifle be "all correct" which is about the most unnatural condition for a rifle that has been in the war as possible.

CDFingers wrote:lurker, you need a 1911 to go with that groovy black holster.
A 1911--the ultimate Garand accessory.
CDFingers
have a springfield armory milspec, tarted up with aftermarket grips, etc. still have the old parts. close enough for me
Sarge wrote:
lurker wrote:
HuckleberryFun wrote:Since I have the accessory I must now get my Garand from CMP. It's the Law. ;)
20171024_192045_resized.jpg
yes, it is. doesn't matter where you get it, though. cmp is good. gun shop is good. it's all good.
I think it does matter
:coffee:

CDFingers wrote:
lurker wrote:have a springfield armory milspec,
Pulled the trigger on one so to speak, that exact model in stainless; pick it up Sunday evening. No groovy gripz yet.

CDFingers
they seem to be good pistols.
mine is parkerized. it was my first handgun. grips are hogue, heavy grippy rubber.
there's a pic here somewhere, i'll see if i can find it.
here, 6 or 8 posts down
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... 37&t=26153

shinzen wrote:Damn. They won't ship the BM 59 to California. You'd think they'd have a 10 round option and be happy to ship them here.
Hmmm. Well it's just the version with the grenade launcher they won't ship. They have something similar to a tanker that ships to CA. Heavily pondering...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou