Re: California legal high capacity magazine

Marlene wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I can never make those things work as designed.
Don't feel bad. Me neither.
that's what you deserve when you try to circumvent the law.
was shooting my '59 paper-cartridge sharps carbine yesterday, had to explain that it was the high-capacity assault weapon of its day with its 10 or 12 round per minute capability.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Marlene wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I can never make those things work as designed.
Don't feel bad. Me neither.
I'm hoping practice will make perfect. The inline capper I have seems to drop about 2 caps out of the 10 it holds.

I think cappers might be picky about how they are used relative to gravity. Which come to think of it, I'm not sure they would work in a zero-g environment. Maybe we can write a space station proposal for an experiment. Wouldn't that be a hoot if they actually tried it?

In space, no one can hear your muzzleloader's discharge...

:albert:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

I didn't have good luck with either the inline capper or the one pictured. Seems like caps were always turning sideways,jamming the whole thing. Someone turned me on to leather cappers like this one: http://www.octobercountry.com/leather-capper/
I made several and after a little bit of a learning curve I'm now finding the metal cappers gathering dust. The down side is that I doubt the leather capper would work for a revolver. The up side is mine only hold nine caps so would be legal in CA :D

lurker wrote:with musket caps, some of us get an old leather belt or flat strap, punch holes of the appropriate size in a 3/8ths grid and tie it on the wrist of the stock. officers frown on this because we're supposed to use cap pouches, but if it increases rate of fire they overlook it.
I wonder if I need to change the nipple to use "top hat " musket caps..

Range report:

No dropped caps out of about 12 shots.
No Jams so far.
Operation was reasonably intuitive. There is a lever to drop a cap into the spring loaded capping chamber. This mechanism also seems to keep caps from spilling out. There is a very solid feeling to pushing the cap on to the nipple. The shape and size of capper provide some leverage.

This was also the maiden voyage of a new Creedmoor Range ramrod. ooooooh...doggies! As Jed Clampett would say.

Reloads were by comparison, effortless, compared to the regular ol' wood ramrod.

I got both items from Track of the Wolf.

Off to the turkey shoot on sunday at Richmond Rod and Gun club!

Marlene wrote:Tell us about this ramrod?
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categori ... OD-C-36-10

I have seen similar rods used by the other muzzleloaders at the range. After having loaded most of box of 100 .490 balls with the wooden ramrod that fits into the gun. it is Muzzle loading Joy... Much more rigid than a wooden rod, with a big wooden handle and a brass bore guide.

I kept wondering when my wooden ramrod would split on me and I would have the pleasure of going to the emergency room with a splintered ramrod through the palm of my hand...one less thing to worry about!

However, this last trip to the range was my most carefree muzzleloading session since the first time I shot the rifle. (out on the east side of the sierra).

No misfires, no ball pulling, no water injection to deactivate powder, no worrying if I lost the cleaning outlet screw in the sink, no double set trigger shenanigans, no excessive fouling from pyrodex, no complete disassembly in the range house right next to the TV with Fox news blaring, no one shooting my target up because "It looked like I had left"(really? all my stuff was sitting right in front of it). I actually had a day like that... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I also discovered that my CO2 bike tire inflator is exactly the same thing as a muzzleloader CO2 unloader when you put an old tire stem on it...

oooooh doggies!

Now the real question is do I wear a turkey costume to the club turkey shoot this weekend or not?

I think the muzzleloaders presence on Miz Gabby's hit list are a giveaway for the purpose of demonstrating that allowing them would be a "reasonable compromise" to get everything else banned.. Good Luck With That! :sarcasm: