Re: Flashlight geeks, lemmie have it!

I like my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. It is my EDC flashlight and is just about the right size. Your pockets can fill up really quickly with stuff sometimes..

It's modestly powered 350 lumens, but can also be used at 75 lumens. It has a tail cap switch which you can set up the sequence of light modes: 350 lumens, strobe, 75 lumens. The tail cap can also be used as a momentary on switch.

It can take either Lithium CR 123 A or 1 AA battery. For maximum output you need the lithium battery.

It also has a nifty pocket clip that doubles as a hat clip for hands free use. I use mine all the time to look for stray parts that make their way on to the garage floor, when I'm an Range Safety officer it's useful for looking into Dark Places. (wooooo..scary)

It's around $40.00 or so on sale. I got mine at Midway..

best of luck!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Maccabee wrote:Imma gonna bump this dusty thread to ask for some advice:

I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

The one prerequisite is that is has to have a tail switch with a momentary on feature.

Any help is appreciated.
My current EDC is an Inova XP. It is probably one of the most rugged pen lights out there, at half your budget. I carry it over my titanium Thrunite because this guy has an almost flat tail switch. Why is a flat tail switch important? Because in my jeans pocket it won't be clicked on accidentally when I sit.

It has both momentary and permanent on. It is heavily biased for momentary on though, because it almost takes a gorilla thumb to make it click. I rarely use the constant on, so the heavy recessed switch doesn't bother me.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Maccabee wrote:I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

The one prerequisite is that is has to have a tail switch with a momentary on feature.

This site might be useful:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index ... ntary+tail

How big is "smallish"? I've got a Nitecore P12, 1000 lumens, runs off of an 18650. It was around that price with charger and battery. Size-wise it's about an inch in diameter and about 5 1/2" long.

PiratePenguin wrote:
Maccabee wrote:I’m looking for a bright, affordable, EDC/smallish flashlight that won’t break the bank (+/- $60ish?).

This site might be useful:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index ... ntary+tail

How big is "smallish"? I've got a Nitecore P12, 1000 lumens, runs off of an 18650. It was around that price with charger and battery. Size-wise it's about an inch in diameter and about 5 1/2" long.
That’s about as big as I would go. Looks like a great option, too. Thanks.

I have a TerraLUX TT5 I've had for several years. No problems and good light albeit on the expensive side. Have been looking at the following, primarily as it has the momentary on feature which I like, as an addition to my flashlight family. Have several brands of CREE lights around the house (we have power pole "grasshopper" switch problems during storms and utility has to come out to reset) and in autos (slowly replacing Mini-Maglites as they fail)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EI ... _qh_dp_hza
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

drigeba wrote:I like my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA. It is my EDC flashlight and is just about the right size. Your pockets can fill up really quickly with stuff sometimes..

It's modestly powered 350 lumens, but can also be used at 75 lumens. It has a tail cap switch which you can set up the sequence of light modes: 350 lumens, strobe, 75 lumens. The tail cap can also be used as a momentary on switch.

It can take either Lithium CR 123 A or 1 AA battery. For maximum output you need the lithium battery.

It also has a nifty pocket clip that doubles as a hat clip for hands free use. I use mine all the time to look for stray parts that make their way on to the garage floor, when I'm an Range Safety officer it's useful for looking into Dark Places. (wooooo..scary)

It's around $40.00 or so on sale. I got mine at Midway..

best of luck!
DavidMS wrote:I have a Streamlight ProTac 1AA. It sounds like it will fit your needs.
Just got my Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendations.

highdesert wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:21 am Should have found this thread sooner, I have flashlights all over but a small bright one is what I need. Good recommendations.
Zebralight, my man. I carry an SC64 every day. The thing is tiny, powered by 18650 batteries which are rechargeable and last damn near forever, and it's blindingly bright at full power. The day I got mine my girl wanted one for her purse, and one of their headlight models. They're all top-notch. Zebralights are on the pricier side, but just like firearms, "buy once, cry once"

Waiting. :popcorn:

Hit some big box stores yesterday, since my usual hookup for ammo just hiked prices again. Picked up a cheapo three-function AAA LED penlight at Walmart for $8. 160 lumens on white light, a red light option - oooh - and UV, which is just too much fun. Lights have come a long way. Probably won't EDC, but it's handy.

Need a flashlight that lasts. I have a recommendation.
This is a seventy year old flashlight. Since this is a gun board notice who made it in USA. Still works great and has the original glass lens.
Flashlight 1.jpeg
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,
Attachments
Flashlight 2.jpeg

I just can't grok LED flashlights if I have a choice, so...
DSC02100 (1).JPG
DSC02101 (1).JPG
My Cyclops, a 12V, 130W halogen flashlight. Amazing power there, uses a H4 100/130W lamp and gel cells.
DSC02102 (1).JPG
The 3-cell metal job is a Chinese copy (under license, they say) of an Eveready. Got it for $1 at a hamfest. Works great.

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

drexelhub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:48 am Hi, thanks for the question! I only use a headlamp, because it is very convenient and practical. The light follows the movement of my head and wherever my gaze turns out there is light. I ordered mine from here https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Headlamp-Fl ... B07ZWK5QKM. This flashlight is waterproof and protected from falls, as well as a powerful battery, it holds well. There are several modes from low to very bright. I usually use it on night hunting or on hikes and descents into the cave. I'm not going to change it yet, I'm happy. If you need comfort, then I advise you to choose a headlamp, this type of flashlights is very convenient. Good luck to you!
Here you go, lurks!