Thoughts on the Thompson Contender/Encore?

There is a $75 rebate on Thompson Contenders and Encores. I've been looking at these for awhile.

What are your thoughts? I was thinking of getting a pistol frame, because federal law apparently allows it to be converted back and forth to a rifle configuration, but rifles cannot be converted to pistols.

I'm thinking a 22lr pistol and maybe a 357 rifle would be a hoot.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Thoughts on the Thompson Contender/Encore?

senorgrand wrote:
Mason wrote:I really like my TC Triumph smokepole. It is my most carried hunting rifle by far.
What makes it get so many trips in the field?
Mainly hunting regs around here. I get a two week longer season for using it. During general firearms season I can use shotgun or muzzleloader - no centerfire rifles. I find the Triumph much more accurate and much more pleasant to shoot that my 870 or Baikal u/o. It's very light and streamlined to carry. Also, it was a complete surprise from my wife my first fathers day.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I have a TC that I bought back in the 80's, it came with a 14" heavy barrel in 222rem. I then bought a 10" bull barrel in 44mag and I took 2 deer with it.

I have since bought a 10" tapered octagon barrel in 222rem that is my favorite, I load cast lead bullets at rimfire velocity and it is very enjoyable to shoot.

The 44 barrel is unpleasant, I like shooting my BFR 45 at Casull velocities much more than the TC with standard 44mag velocity. These guns are very accurate

and with the right ammo they can take game way beyond normal handgun ranges. They also cause some people to act like obsessive crack addicts collecting

as many barrels as they can. Prepare to be taken over, they're worse than 1911s in that regard.

I had to replace my 44 barrel. Paladin broke mine at the annual meeting a number of years ago.

I have a 22LR rifle barrel, a 223 rem rifle barrel, a selection of pistol barrels, 44, 45lc/410shot, 22 lr, 357mag and 22 hornet. I believe they are all 10 inch barrels. Never fired the hornet, it scares me. I want (but have been advised against) a 45.70 rifle barrel for it. I like it because it satisfies my caliber urges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Inquisitor wrote:I had to replace my 44 barrel. Paladin broke mine at the annual meeting a number of years ago.

I have a 22LR rifle barrel, a 223 rem rifle barrel, a selection of pistol barrels, 44, 45lc/410shot, 22 lr, 357mag and 22 hornet. I believe they are all 10 inch barrels. Never fired the hornet, it scares me. I want (but have been advised against) a 45.70 rifle barrel for it. I like it because it satisfies my caliber urges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I think you might find the hornet to be a virtual ear drill factory ammo. If you reload ammo you can find something that is far more pleasant and efficient. With lead bullets and unique or other like powders you might like it better than the rimfire barrel.

My experience with the TC is that I would shoot the big cals in the rifle. I do not think you can do them justice with a 10" barrel.

Thats the barrel length that I like. The 14" super Contender that I have is just a clumsy carbine with out a shoulder stock, holster carry is stupid and they don't even carry well with a sling.

The 10" barrel is actually quite handy since over all length is no more than a super blackhawk. I don't haveany pics of mine with the short barrel but this is mine with the long barrel.
Attachments
100_1983.JPG

senorgrand wrote:There is a $75 rebate on Thompson Contenders and Encores. I've been looking at these for awhile.

What are your thoughts? I was thinking of getting a pistol frame, because federal law apparently allows it to be converted back and forth to a rifle configuration, but rifles cannot be converted to pistols.

I'm thinking a 22lr pistol and maybe a 357 rifle would be a hoot.
I own 2 pistol frames. A G1 and a G2. The G1 was discontinued several years ago. The G2 has the same mechanism as the Encore and can handle higher pressures. I get 3 inch groups at 100 yards with a Super 14 barrel with iron sights in 7 mm TCU and .30 Herrett. I also have a 12 inch .357, Super 14 in .223, and a 10 inch .44 Mag

I own an Encore - stainless, inline muzzleloader in .50 cal. Love it!

You'll have to confirm this and depends on your laws, but if you ever plan to try a pistol barrel, you may have to buy it as a pistol first then add a rifle barrel. In many places pistols have to be registered. I didn't know this, bought a pistol barrel (making it an unregistered handgun), learned of my error, and quickly sold the pistol barrel.