A birthday present for my wife - a Laguiole pocket knife

As we get older, it is harder and harder to find a good birthday present for my wife. Normally, she picks something out and I buy it and wrap it up. Lately it has been art and I did buy her a lovely print this year. But, I was feeling pretty inadequate. Not sure why this idea jumped into my head but I decided to buy her one of these. She likes quirky, quality things so I think this might pass muster.

Laguiole is not a trade name; rather it refers to a small village in France where knives of varying quality are made. This one is from a higher end maker where each knife is made by a single cutlerer, from start to finish. The craftsman is identified by a code on the rear of the blade.

I took a chance on it and ordered it from a dealer in Germany. It arrived today and is scrumptiously beautiful. It has juniper side plates and a matte stainless finish. Nice edge.

Anyone have experience with these?

Re: A birthday present for my wife - a Laguiole pocket knife

SailDesign wrote:I bought one years ago from one of the "lesser" makers, and the steel was not good. THEN I found out about the whole Lagouiolle "thing" and realised my mistake. I have never had another, but that looks awesome! My tastes run to shorter, stubbier blades.
You bought a Pakistani Laguiole. The French ones generally use Sandwik 12C27.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

Marlene wrote:Excellent choice!

My understanding is that these aren't meant as general use pocketknives, but specifically as knives for eating. After looking at that sad soulless round-pointed serrated "steak knife" at the restaurant, she can pull her proper knife and eat her meal without ruining the meat by giving it fuzzy edges with the blunt camp saw that passes for a knife in American restaurants.
+1
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

nigel wrote:
SailDesign wrote:I bought one years ago from one of the "lesser" makers, and the steel was not good. THEN I found out about the whole Lagouiolle "thing" and realised my mistake. I have never had another, but that looks awesome! My tastes run to shorter, stubbier blades.
You bought a Pakistani Laguiole. The French ones generally use Sandwik 12C27.
Sadly, I feel you might be correct...
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Marlene wrote:Excellent choice!

My understanding is that these aren't meant as general use pocketknives, but specifically as knives for eating. After looking at that sad soulless round-pointed serrated "steak knife" at the restaurant, she can pull her proper knife and eat her meal without ruining the meat by giving it fuzzy edges with the blunt camp saw that passes for a knife in American restaurants.
Right?!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk