Re: What did you reload today?

I received .32 H&R dies a couple days ago. I'm waiting for the jacketed bullets and brass to arrive in the mail, and the revolver to get out of jail...

In the meantime I'm trying to track down some .32 Bear creek supply lead bullets. I'm betting even money that the LGS with the slogan "try us for the unusual" has them in stock.

:geek:
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

drigeba wrote:I received .32 H&R dies a couple days ago. I'm waiting for the jacketed bullets and brass to arrive in the mail, and the revolver to get out of jail...

In the meantime I'm trying to track down some .32 Bear creek supply lead bullets. I'm betting even money that the LGS with the slogan "try us for the unusual" has them in stock.

:geek:
I am hoping to start reloading some 32 H&R mag in the next month or two. I hope you will share with me powder/loads used, and how you liked the results.
I'm going to load the Lehigh 32 Xtreme Cavitator round.
https://www.lehighdefense.com/collectio ... 3336852996

All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

The leigh defense bullet for .32 might be a good round for the woods since I need lead free for a hunting round. Will order a box and see what happens. There doesn't seem to be any load data for the .32 H&R, though. May just try 70 grain data.

edit: this may the only lead free option for .32 handguns... will get a box and test sooner rather than later since they will likely be discontinued in the future sometime..

Will keep you posted. In addition to the Leigh mentioned, I'm planning to develop 3 rounds. a 90 grain wadcutter, 90 grain sierra sportsman jacketed full house magnum round, and a 100 grain RNFP lead plinker.

But please, don't load them yourself to use as a self defense round. If poop goes sideways, your legal problems will be multiplied. Any lawyer will argue that you "made extra lethal rounds" by loading them yourself. Use factory ammo only for self defense...

FINALLY on Wednesday I received the box of bullets I ordered three months ago from Western Bullet (only bullets his website showed as "in stock.") A new low by a large margin, although I've learned to expect erratic shipping times from him and expected it might be a few weeks. Some 200 grain .430 and 75 grain .358 wadcutters. I've used the 200 grain wadcutters before with good results.

The tiny .358s are intended for having my spousal critter try my Model 19 as her first firearm event. I'll give these guys a test first, maybe this weekend. I loaded Federal .38 brass, 12 each with 3.5 grains or 4.7 grains of Trail Boss. I seated the bullet with the shoulder slightly below the case mouth, so about half of the button-top is protruding, and gave them a fairly light crimp I will chrono these six with powder tipped forward, six with powder back.

These little bullets are a pain! Fiddlier than most to get them started straight since they're so short. Also had to pick through them since only about 1/3 had both lube grooves even partly filled. Those with only the lower groove filled I will probably roll across a layer of Lee Alox before using. I should probably have just done that to all of them, since it can't hurt.

edit: OK, it can hurt, in that it will make them sticky and smoky. I can live with that.

BTW, I based the loads on Hodgdon's website's data for 95 grain LRN bullets, which calls for 3.0 to 5.0 of Trail Boss. Matt's Bullets page for the same bullet has an image of some oldish data from a manual, but not for powders I have now (although I could probably have faked it and used Universal with their Unique data without TOO much danger). Last night I found a thread at Arfcom or Glocktalk or something that described poor results with this bullet and 4 grains of Trail Boss. But I already bought them, so I will try a few.

I accidentally picked up a bag of primed .357 brass instead of .38 at first and measured out the powder, then dumped those and started over with .38 brass. In retrospect, I regret not trying the .357 brass, to protect the sides of the bullet base and the limited lube capacity from the hot gases as the bullet passes the empty part of the .357 chamber. I have enough worries about leading without that. I'll just have to remember to shoot these at the end of the day at the range in case it makes a mess of the bore or the chamber.
Last edited by Buck13 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote:FINALLY on Wednesday I received the box of bullets I ordered three months ago from Western (only bullets his website showed as "in stock.") A new low by a large margin. Some 200 grain .430 and 75 grain .358 wadcutters. I've used the 200 grain wadcutters before with good results.

The tiny .358s are intended for having my spousal critter try my Model 19 as her first firearm event. I'll give these guys a test first, maybe this weekend. I loaded Federal .38 brass, 12 each with 3.5 grains or 4.7 grains of Trail Boss. I will chrono these six with powder tipped forward, six with powder back.

These little bullets are a pain! Fiddlier than most to get them started straight since they're so short. Also had to pick through them since only about 1/3 had both lube grooves even partly filled. Those with only the lower groove filled I will probably roll across a layer of Lee Alox before using. I should probably have just done that to all of them, since it can't hurt.
Yesterday I spoke with a bullet caster out here in California. They are developing a .358 125 grain HBWC bullet and a .313 98 grain HBWC. The bullets won't be in production for a few months, but will let folks know about them.

I'm particularly looking forward to the .313 HBWC, since they are hard to find and expensive. The 125 grain HBWC might be a nice solution for you and perhaps easier to load.

:thumbup:

nigel wrote:When i click on this thread why do I hear this still, small voice whispering "...come into my parlour, said the spider to the fly."
Reloading won't take all your time and money. Why would I lie to you?

Last night I rolled a dozen of the 75 grain wadcutters across a film of Lee Alox. This morning I found that I had only 10 primed .38 cases left, so that many got loaded atop 4.2 grains of HP38.

Those and all the Trail Boss rounds got shot over my chrono this afternoon. I didn't need the chrono to tell that the HP38 were going faster, and also produced a much more grownup bang. They were light, but still a little more kicky than .22LR, even the HV versions. Both charges of Trail Boss were much softer, with the lighter charges possibly recoiling less than a .22 HV. Trail Boss was also VERY smoky. It's cartoonish the way smoke drooled out of the barrel after each shot.

Velocities of all of these were quite widely spread, with the 4.7 grains of TB not so bad, or at least less variable when deliberately tipped powder-back vs. powder-forward since the case is fuller. My notes are out in the garage, so no specific numbers now (or maybe ever, unless someone actually expresses interest). If I make more of these, I'll probably go with Trail Boss and split the difference in the charges, since at least one of the 3.5 grain bullets clocked at only around 450 FPS. I'd rather not see any under 500, even with lead and almost no bearing surface.

I shot these standing (isoceles) at 25 yards. Without a rest, I really am not consistent enough to make claims about fine differences in accuracy. Suffice it to say that the results were not bad enough to condemn the ammo for the intended "training wheels" purpose. I probably wouldn't shoot for score with it. I *think* the holes in the target were round, but with this bullet shape, keyholing would not really be worthy of the name.

Of course, these also shot VERY low. The sights were set for 158 grain bullets to shoot to POA. These guys were landing at least 4-5 inches low.

My club only has 100 yard rifle range. The Swedish Mauser is sighted in at 300 yards. Consequently, when I run full power loads through it I have a hell of a time trying to get on paper. I would like to get a scout scope for my little carbine so I can shoot it more accurately with factory ammo but for the time being, my cast loads with a 10" AR500 steel plate at 100 yards makes sweet sweet music. :love:

ncbluedot wrote:My club only has 100 yard rifle range. The Swedish Mauser is sighted in at 300 yards. Consequently, when I run full power loads through it I have a hell of a time trying to get on paper. I would like to get a scout scope for my little carbine so I can shoot it more accurately with factory ammo but for the time being, my cast loads with a 10" AR500 steel plate at 100 yards makes sweet sweet music. :love:
I get it now. Nice! Sounds like a ton of fun.

I’ve got a project coming up that involves choosing between 6.5x55 and 7x57. That bullet is kinda leaning me towards the 6.5

Loaded a 50 round ladder of 90gr 9mm XTP with Power Pistol, my first try at pistol cartridge reloading for my Sig 320.

When I bought the bullets I also picked up some 6.5 Grendel brass so I can start loading for my grendel AR, maybe once the football playoffs start this weekend I'll work on that to add to the pile of things to take to the range and test.

57 gr .224 to .308 sabots over 29gr of CFE BLK for 7.62x39 along with some 123gr .308 soft points. The .308 is for plinking and the sabots are an experiment. I will try these and see if they keyhole at 75'. I'm expecting exactly horrible performance but may be pleasantly surprised. :lol:
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

I reloaded 100 rounds of .40 S&W:

CCI #500 primer.
Speer 180 gr. TMJ over 5.4 grains of Hodgdon Universal.
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

So far 400 rounds of .40 S&W. I've got way too much of this stuff, probably 1500 rounds loaded and 1000 pieces of brass and cast bullets. I haven't messed with a .40 in about a year but it's my favorite pistol caliber. Loading these up for my new to me S&W 4006.

CCI #500 primer
140 grain cast flat point
5.2grs of Bullseye
1.125" OAL