I bought four different kinds of .22

I usually go to the store and buy whatever .22 LR is on the shelf but this time I ordered ammo online at ableammo.com. Unable to make a decision I just bought four different brands. They where all the cheapest at around 7 or 8 cents a round.
Here's what I got:

Federal Premium Gold Medal Rimfire Ammunition
Federal AutoMatch Target Rimfire Ammunition
Federal American Eagle Rimfire Ammunition AE22
Federal Premium Game-Shok Rimfire Ammunition 712

I've tried three of them in the past and didn't see much difference between them except that I'd rather touch copper-plated ammo rather than greasy/sticky lead bullets.
Does anybody have an opinion on this?

Also, my city (Oakland) does not allow mail order ammo so I had it delivered to a UPS store in Berkeley next door.

Re: I bought four different kinds of .22

Simmer down wrote:Spara mentioned having the Sig 1911-22 and it needed cleaning after about 100 rounds. I'm not a clean freak so I'd prefer to avoid such frequent scrubbings.
I shot over 300 rounds of .22LR through my CZ at our last meet. Most of it was Federal AutoMatch. It wasn't any dirtier than any other time I'd shot it. Nothing that had any effect on fun. The Sig design looks a bit more complicated than my CZ Kadet perhaps that makes it a bit more sensitive. Mine just kept humming along.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I do not know about elsewhere, but around St Louis many stores treat Federal 22s as if its a superior brand, and ask a premium price for them.
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

sikacz wrote:
dandad wrote:I do not know about elsewhere, but around St Louis many stores treat Federal 22s as if its a superior brand, and ask a premium price for them.
What's a premium price for 325 box?
place I was at yesterday , they wanted 36 for the 325 automatch 22lrs...

I can get the winchester 333 for $26.. and I have not had many problems with those ...
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more

dandad wrote:
sikacz wrote:
dandad wrote:I do not know about elsewhere, but around St Louis many stores treat Federal 22s as if its a superior brand, and ask a premium price for them.
What's a premium price for 325 box?
place I was at yesterday , they wanted 36 for the 325 automatch 22lrs...

I can get the winchester 333 for $26.. and I have not had many problems with those ...

Ouch!! Last boxes of Federal I bought were $19-and-change each. Shipped.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I've been working my way through various brands/models of .22LR.

It seems like copper plated round nose is the least dirty. It all depends on the gun it will used for.

My semi-automatics are a bit more picky than my revolver and bolt-action.

So far, my favorite for semi-autos is CCI Mini Mag followed by CCI Blazer (LRN), and then Aguila SuperExtra (red label, CPRN). Blazer seems to be a little more dirty than the other two, but it never fails to cycle in my semi-autos (10/22 & P226). I pickup a Sig 1911-22 this weekend, so hopefully by mid-December I'll have a chance to take it to the range see which ammo types it prefers.

I use TargetSportsUSA for online ammo sales. I opted for the prime membership ($95ish per year) since it gives 8% off and free shipping on all ammo orders.

For a point of reference, a case of 5000 CCI Mini Mag is $321 and Aguila Super Extra (red label) is $211 shipped from TargetSportsUSA (with prime).

I use the Gameshock in handguns a lot, and sometimes in the 10/22. No problems, pretty accurate. I like the Gold Medal in the CZ 453 at 100 yards and usually hit the 3" target. I haven't used the Am. Eagle LRN in a long time and don't remember what I thought of them, but have always been a bit put off by the 40-round boxes. Preferred the Win. Wildcats and CCI Blazer for that reason. Can't speak to the Automatch. I've generally liked Fed. ammunition, though a friend of mine got a really inconsistent batch of bulk Champions last year.
Yet she persisted.

SubRosa wrote:T-bolt is the only round ever that reliably works in my suppressed MkII.

I've tried 'em all, too.

Subs
Remington Thunderbolts are the dirties 22 ammo I've ever used. Someone on another board said that Thunderbolts were what their pistol liked, so whatever works.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My 11 year-old grandson burned through about 400 rounds of Norma Match (40gr lead, 1135fps) on the Woodsmans, and I did another 100 rounds on them. No feed problems. I expected them to burn a little dirty, but was happy to find almost no residue.

I pick them up at Midway whenever they go on sale - about 7-8 cents a shot.