Good, inexpensive range bag

I've been bringing multiple guns to the range, and trying to them all in in their own boxes, and carry ammo and targets is getting cumbersome and clumsy. I'd really like a range bag, but all of them that I see are made of polyester and seem way too expensive for as durable as they look. $60 to $100 for a woven plastic sack seems like way too much money.

But, the one that are any cheaper than that look and feel like absolute garbage. I've seen some leather ones online, but they're super expensive, and I haven't found any fiber cloth ones.

What's a good back that holds up well and justifies its cost?

Re: Good, inexpensive range bag

I can't think of anything that is good and inexpensive. My advice is to to to your nearest gun show and take a look at all the bags. I think mine is from MidwayUSA and it does the job. I have a basic range bag and supplement it with a G-Code 3fer and 3x bang boxes to transport ammunition. My advice is to avoid the ones covered in molle as it only adds weight and rarely seems to get stuff attached to it. I try to avoid bags that scream "GUN" or "Tacticool." I hope this helps.

I went to Amazon and got me some random range bag for under $40, it hasn't let me down. Just look at the reviews and pick one with high rating.

Another trick is to search for a "tool bag" instead. Sure, it doesn't come with fancy compartments for pistols or pouches for magazines, but they are actually more durable because they're built to carry heavy stuff like hammers, wrenches, and the like.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I use a canvas grocery tote bag. All the handguns are in cheap gun rugs. I am not paying 100+ bucks for a made-in-China bag that costs a dollar to make. Just because it is the new tacticool brand that all the big boys want, doesn't mean I have to get one. My tote bag works just fine and doesn't scream "I have a gun" or "shoot me first".
When I was hanging out with The Well Armed Woman, there was a lady who quilted her range bag.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote:doesn't scream "I have a gun" or "shoot me first".
i use a wally-world school backpack.
re "shoot me first", i had breakfast at ihop this a.m. and there was a fellow 2 booths over whose pretty paddle holster was hanging out under his jacket, next to his cell phone holster. i contemplated saying something to him, decided not to.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Home Depot and look at the Husky tool bags. I bought two different ones years ago and they have held up well. One has wheel and rolls like a suitcase they other just sits on top of the other and they go together.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in ... /203124166

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in ... /203224309

These are the latest versions of those I had for at least ten years.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Bang wrote:I've been bringing multiple guns to the range, and trying to them all in in their own boxes, and carry ammo and targets is getting cumbersome and clumsy. I'd really like a range bag, but all of them that I see are made of polyester and seem way too expensive for as durable as they look. $60 to $100 for a woven plastic sack seems like way too much money.

But, the one that are any cheaper than that look and feel like absolute garbage. I've seen some leather ones online, but they're super expensive, and I haven't found any fiber cloth ones.

I'm wondering why you want a back pack instead of a bag with a handle. Bicycle or motorcycle transpo, maybe. I use a five dollar Craftsman tool bag to carry all the range stuff and a locking case for the guns. I used to carry two guns and my range stuff stuffed into the tool bag, but that sucked. This dual container strategy works best for me, but I drive a car to the range not a two wheeled conveyance.

Pics for kicks.

P1010180.JPG
P1010201.JPG
The two locks are keyed the same, and the State of California is happy.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote:
Bang wrote:I've been bringing multiple guns to the range, and trying to them all in in their own boxes, and carry ammo and targets is getting cumbersome and clumsy. I'd really like a range bag, but all of them that I see are made of polyester and seem way too expensive for as durable as they look. $60 to $100 for a woven plastic sack seems like way too much money.

I'm wondering why you want a back pack instead of a bag with a handle. Bicycle or motorcycle transpo, maybe. I use a five dollar Craftsman tool bag to carry all the range stuff and a locking case for the guns. I used to carry two guns and my range stuff stuffed into the tool bag, but that sucked. This dual container strategy works best for me, but I drive a car to the range not a two wheeled conveyance.

Pics for kicks.

P1010180.JPG

P1010201.JPG

The two locks are keyed the same, and the State of California is happy.

CDFingers
I'm currently using a backpack and don't like it. Vertical space isn't really suited to holding several pistols and ammunition, and I don't like digging into the bag to get stuff out. That's why I've been looking at range bags, the layout looks efficient and usable, and most of them have slots for pistols and a larger space for ammunition.

I'm interested in the tool bag idea at this point, I think I'll see if I can find something inexpensive that will work as a test platform and then work from there.

I have a Sig shoulder bag, but I prefer a TravelPro backpack. I can pack 2 pistols and my Kel-Tec Sub2000 in one locked compartment meant for laptops; accessories (shooting glasses, hearing protection), magazines and several boxes of ammo in the main compartment; and paperwork in the front compartment.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

TrueTexan wrote:Home Depot and look at the Husky tool bags. I bought two different ones years ago and they have held up well. One has wheel and rolls like a suitcase they other just sits on top of the other and they go together.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in ... /203124166

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in ... /203224309

These are the latest versions of those I had for at least ten years.
+1 This is what I use. I'll probably buy a larger one to carry my new 357 rifle.

I just keep all my handguns in rugs. I also have a pouch that I keep smaller stuff in (snap caps, staples, bore light, etc).

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I use this range bag, it holds 2 Ruger size pistol cases, ammo for both, side pockets hold cleaning stuff in one sie and hearing/eye protection in the other.
It had a Velcro divider that is positionable inside the bag and a nice shoulder strap.
It's that black nylon and very well made, not thin or cheapish.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=6
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Maccabee wrote:Check out the GPS Handgunner backpack. Tons of storage and a foam insert for 4 pistols. I find mine to be very handy.

http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/produc ... -backpack/
I second this suggestion. It's a great bag. It has sewn-in sleeves for 12 magazines, and a plethora of pockets and compartments. Well-made with durable zippers. Only downside is you can't get a long-barreled revolver into the pistol "rack," but it will hold standard 5" semiautos just fine. Uncle Andy gives it two thumbs up!
Reunite Pangea!

AZAndy wrote:
Maccabee wrote:Check out the GPS Handgunner backpack. Tons of storage and a foam insert for 4 pistols. I find mine to be very handy.

http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/produc ... -backpack/
I second this suggestion. It's a great bag. It has sewn-in sleeves for 12 magazines, and a plethora of pockets and compartments. Well-made with durable zippers. Only downside is you can't get a long-barreled revolver into the pistol "rack," but it will hold standard 5" semiautos just fine. Uncle Andy gives it two thumbs up!
Another vote for the GPS. Great range bag - extremely versatile, very rugged construction, beau coup storage. Have never used in backpack fashion - use strap over one shoulder on occasion. Re-purposed gun compartment for tools/cleaning kit; spare stick-on targets, masking tape; stapler; loading blocks, etc. All my handguns have their own softside or hardcase carrier for range and carry ammo in another ex-range bag. Usually carry 6 or so guns to range. Caught mine on sale several years ago for $70 +/- a bit.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

This one is expensive but, having wasted a lot of money on inferior bags, I finally stepped up and got this about two years ago. It has lots of space and moveable dividers and a great stiff bottom that houses flat storage that’s great for targets, staple gun, etc. You can load it up with 40+ pounds of gear and pistols and it handles it very well.

https://www.amazon.com/Eberlestock-R1ME ... +range+bag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheap soft cases/pistol rugs in an LL Bean canvas tote. They even make their oldschool tote in a zip-top version now. I have the one with the longer handles, which make for easy shoulder carry. The bag will last the rest of your life, isn't made of plastic, doesn't look like gun stuff, is available in custom color combinations if you don't mind waiting a hair longer, and is useful for all sorts of non-gun things if you wash it to get rid of the lead contamination.

Another friend here in Los Angeles also has the GPS Handgunner backpack that I saw Maccabee uses (above). He's used his for 5+ years of shooting and it still looks very good, holds up to wear over time. It is a really nice backpack for carrying & organizing four handguns, magazines, ammo, and shooting/safety supplies. I don't have the cheddar for the Handgunner bag at the moment but I completely understand why it is worth the asking price and do see myself getting one sometime in the future. Unfortunately for me, Inexpensive and good just doesn't go hand in hand.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi