Re: Generally, how much do you need to spend to get a good scope?

Stiff wrote:Good for what purpose and what gun? If it's for shooting rabbits out of a 10/22 at 100 meters, the recoil is not gonna jar it enough to necessitate an expensive scope. A $30 Walmart scope is gonna work just fine. If you're shooting at a 1000 yard target, decent scopes start at $700 (Leupold).
I'm thinking mostly .223 probably between 100 and 200 yards, but probably not more than 300 yards. I might shoot 5.56 on occasion if I get an AR.

Edit: gun is not quite decided yet, but I am leaning AR at this point.

A Leupold, Vortex, or Burris 3x9 would be just fine. You might like the Burris Ballistic-plex that will help with going out to longer distances, they make one specifically for 223 and it's pretty well reviewed. Some folks prefer to do click adjustments, but personally I like having a not too busy reticle that will help you get on target at longer ranges. Personally I've got scopes that range in price from about $100 (for my 22) one up to about $1400 (Bushnell HDMR for long range)

Here's the Burris:
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-200137-MS ... th=1&psc=1

I've got a zero magnification Vortex and like it a lot. For your purposes, this would probably be the one:

http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-cross ... -cf2-31007

What do you get for more cash? Brighter, better eye relief, more positive clicks on the turrets, overall better glass. You can spend a ton, but hell, my $180 Nikon is still a damned fine scope. For a first scope either of the two above would do you just fine.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Also depends on the rifle. Agreed on the Warne rings, good quality stuff. If you are putting it on an AR, then going with an AR specific mount is a better way to roll. If you go with some manufacturers rifles, they may have specific rings that go with them (I'm looking at you CZ-527) on non-standard mounts.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Also depends on the rifle. Agreed on the Warne rings, good quality stuff. If you are putting it on an AR, then going with an AR specific mount is a better way to roll. If you go with some manufacturers rifles, they may have specific rings that go with them (I'm looking at you CZ-527) on non-standard mounts.
The rifle I'm looking at most seriously has a rail on top, it looks like about half the rings available will fit on a rail. How would an AR specific ring be designated?

shinzen wrote:Not 100% sure- I don't see why it wouldn't though. It's definitely a solid mount so I can't see the heavier recoil being a problem.
I have the Burris P.E.P.R. mount with QD release. It is quite beefy, so it won't have any issue handling most rifle calibers. However, that thickness makes it heavy. It's probably a couple of ounces heavier than it needs to be for 5.56.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

I have a little experience with riflescopes. I have a Weaver V3 on a Saiga .223 carbine and a Bushnell AR/223 1-4x in an ADM mount on my AR. Both are perfectly serviceable for punching paper at the range. Only advice is to get a quality scope mount as a good mount is vital to maintaining zero. If you get better glass later, you can reuse the mount. Don't spend the money or take a weight hit on a QD mount. I got one for the cool factor and would not again as super lightweight mount would be a better choice.

For more serious uses, I'd spend a bit more. IIRC, P&S did something on it and Inrange gave a few of them their stamp of hubris.

What are you planning to use the rifle for? Good glass is cheaper than it used to be but is still worth it to spend the money. Buy once, cry once.

Bang wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:14 pm Scopes for rifles seem to start at $150, but that doesn't seem like a good starting point. Leupold's least expensive offerings start at a little over $200. Can a good scope be had for $200? Or should one make the jump to $300?
late to this discussion but my 2 cents. I think scope budgeting is subjective imo and dependent on what you plan to use it for. Obviously, the more expensive the scope the nicer it will be but I think there are lower cost options out there that will do the same job. I used to own a Leupold VX3 that cost me $400 and some change quite a few years ago but I sold it. If I were to buy another scope it would be a Leupold....again.

For AR scope mounts, I like these Aero Precision ones. They're lightweight, not too expensive, and sturdy. Due to the way their mount works, it will rotate the scope a little bit as you tighten it, but it's no problem as long as you take that into account with a test run before you tighten for the last time.

https://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/ ... 210100.htm (That retailer seems to have the best prices around, and free shipping too.)