Re: New factory pistol, shoot first or clean first?

I didn't clean my Sig P320 when I got it as the LGS is a range as well. The only problem I had was getting the Romeo1 red dot dialed in--an RSO helped me with that.
I didn't smell cosmoline and that stuff really stinks, too.

But, if you're have any gunsmith work done because you're LGS is your FFL for an out-of-state purchase, you'll want to check it VERY carefully before you shoot it. My Kel-Tec Sub2000 comes with a threaded barrel, a no-no in NJ, so it has to be pinned. The gunsmith was SO careless he had the pin running too deep and it obstructed the barrel chamber! Fixed it myself...
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I clean every new gun and relube it with premium lube before I shoot them. The "stuff" that most new guns are coated with are preservatives (as already mentioned) and generally are not all the good at lubricating surfaces.

Will the gun be ruined if you pull it out of the box and shoot 50 rounds? Nahhhhh. That'd be hard to believe. I just have had great luck with all my guns running good CLP in 40+ years. No rust, no wear, no issues.

My routine works for me so I recommend it to others.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

All guns I buy are full detailed before I shoot them. It gives me a picture of how everything work in the gun and I then know the gun is improperly lubricated.

I have found wood shavings, metal filings, dirt, Styrofoam bits, and dead ants in new firearm. I found a 20 in the butt stock of a old lever guns I bought with a 1949 date on the bill. That was pretty cool
It's time to elect leadership not re elect it.
Drain the swamp!

Eris wrote:
zzrguy wrote:I found a 20 in the butt stock of a old lever guns I bought with a 1949 date on the bill. That was pretty cool
That's pretty neat! But I have to wonder: who hides money in a gun? :huh:
I'm pretty sure in 1949 that $20 and a lever gun was a pretty potent bug out talisman. Between the buying power of $20 and the intimidation power of a decent lever gun a guy could get on for weeks with that combo.

My Wife's family were all farmers and law men in small towns in America. A pistol/rifle and $20 was a big deal when some of those guys considered that a months wages in real cash money. And a gun means you can always get more....$20 buys a lot of ammunition in '49.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

It wasn't uncommon to hide money in a gun. Old west gunfighters (post 1873) are said to have kept a bank note in the 6th cylinder of their guns (firing pin on the hammer they didn't carry with six shots loaded) the money was to pay the undertaker or in case of emergency. A lever gun with a bill from 1949, the previous owner may have been old enough to have caught the end of the "wild" west.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

My guess would be that the lever gun owner was a hunter who had to travel a good distance to hunt. What if you dropped your wallet while walking in the woods, had it stolen from your vehicle, lifted from your pocket in a bar, etc? No ATM or credit cards back then. Twenty bucks in the Fifties would have bought a lot of gas and meals on the way home, plus a night in a motel.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Yeah... good point.
My google-fu says $20 in 1950's equates to $208 today! Damn! Grandpa dropped a small fortune in that gun when he forgot.

Speaking of getting lost in the sticks, you think this thread has wandered off enough from the OP to be interesting yet?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I don't mind thread drift, as long as the original topic has been exhausted.

Speaking of cash, until recently I dislike carrying money, because card is so much more convenient. By paying with plastic I avoid jingling small change, and I get 2% cashback for every transaction. I began carrying cash again as an emergency measure, in case of electricity failure.

The amount of emergency cash? $200. It's large enough to cover most emergencies on the road, but not large enough to cause heart attack if lost or stolen.
Glad that federal government is boring again.