Re: Lets talk 1911s

Ive got a sig sss that was having micro-pitting rust issues on the slide. So sig refinished it to have a DLC applied (diamond-like coating).
Absolutely stunning now. I love the silver accenting that they left on it.
Pretty sure i bought it new for about $850
please don't take anything I say personally, I am an idiot.
Attachments
BD8413A4-354B-426C-99C5-9A9DE8C1B222.jpeg
3D58ABA5-6ECA-40B5-AEC9-E29ED634CACF.jpeg

My problem with 1911s is that I want to buy several more, but I don't need any more. I have no need for the Ruger SR1911, but I have wanted one for years. And a Colt. And more....

1911s shoot like a dream. They are great looking pistols. And, with the right holster, they are very safe to carry C&L.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bucolic wrote:Altamont does great grips at a good price. I have them on a number of my guns. Good 1022 stocks too ant they now offer AK47 furniture . . .
They do indeed. Something happened to their production, though - I was just on their site looking for K/L frame grips for an inbound 686+, and almost all are "Temporarily Unavailable.". I had to go through eBay.

Oh, wait - we're talking 1911s and pics, right?
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr
Attachments
1911s-sm.jpg

atxgunguy wrote:
bmurph44 wrote:Thanks to all that have taken the time to reply.

The only thing missing from this thread is pictures.
Well, now you’re asking for it. ;)

Mine started life as a bone stock Springfield Mil-Spec. I upgraded the hammer, beavertail, grip screws, and thumb safety to Wilson Combat. Also includes the Wilson Combat 8-round mag.
So far all's I thought about doing to my Springfield mil spec is to upgrade the hammer. How tough was that?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Lets talk 1911s

There is that about buying something like the Sig 1911 , a Kimber, or breaking the piggy bank for an Ed Brown, is that all there is to do then is maybe change the grips and shoot it. No reason to upgrade. This from a guy who has four 10/22s that have no original Ruger parts except the magazines and on which he spent more than $3.5k. Of course, that was before I retired and took a substantial pay cut..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote:There is that about buying something like the Sig 1911 , a Kimber, or breaking the piggy bank for an Ed Brown, is that all there is to do then is maybe change the grips and shoot it. No reason to upgrade. This from a guy who has four 10/22s that have no original Ruger parts except the magazines and on which he spent more than $3.5k. Of course, that was before I retired and took a substantial pay cut..

Do you still have all the original parts? You could have 8 10/22s!

Lets talk 1911s

Generally what i did at the outset was to upgrade trigger, bolt, barrel and small parts, using the original receiver. Then I would buy a kidd receiver and build a new one using the Ruger one, etc. I ended up selling a receiver or two. (The Kidd receivers are soooo beautiful). In the end, I just started buying a Kidd receiver and building from there. Kidd now offers a barreled receiver that you can spec any way you like but mine were bought prior.

I sold or gave away a bolt, a trigger group or two and some small parts. I do have a neat little 10/22 carbine that uses the original Ruger receiver and compact stock. It has a Feddersen tapered barrel, a worked-over Ruger bolt, and a cleaned-up Ruger trigger. It’s sorta the red-headed step child in the group but I do like it. I only shoot CCI Velocitors out of it. The others get CCI SV or Wolf Match Extra or the like.

Like any parent, I love all five of them exactly equally and they all shoot remarkably. However, surfing the 10/22 upgrade slippery slope is an insidious sickness that takes your money, and keeps you up at night. Then you buy a CZ bolt gun that nearly outshoots them out of the box...

Bucolic wrote:There is that about buying something like the Sig 1911 , a Kimber, or breaking the piggy bank for an Ed Brown, is that all there is to do then is maybe change the grips and shoot it. No reason to upgrade. This from a guy who has four 10/22s that have no original Ruger parts except the magazines and on which he spent more than $3.5k. Of course, that was before I retired and took a substantial pay cut..

Would love to see photos of those FrankenPistols.
The Sigs are flashy and now I think I'll go look at one and see.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

It's amazing what can be done to a 1911, when I bought my first in the early 70s Frank Pachmayr was the gold standard with his signature line of customs. But in the 80s he produced the bolt action conversion kit to make it a single shot tack driver in 308, it was called the dominator.

I know in the 70s all of the cool kids shot Pachmayrs in IPSC competition. Frightfully expensive.

Here's my sig 1911 XO not flashy and is basically a range gun, but is a tack driver.
sig1911right.jpg
sig1911left.jpg
For carry in a 45ACP I use my Sig 227 45ACP double stack
sig227.jpg
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

RIA Double-stack 9mm + 22TCM:

Stock photo which mine currently resembles. I'd like to customize with new grips and brighter front sight but otherwise it is a fine, accurate, affordable, and really fun shooting pistol in 9mm. Shooting .22tcm out of it is strictly for giggles. Aside from the fireball and noticeable concussion, the penetration through steel you get from a 5" barrel is rather phenomenal due to sheer speed of the 40gr projectile. It is somewhat comparable to the 5.7x28 out of the FN pistol with the further advantage of being all metal gun with a wonderful, crisp 1911 trigger.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

atxgunguy wrote:
CDFingers wrote:
Wabatuckian wrote:CD,

Is that grip safety pinned?
I don't know. Here is the manual:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp-co ... Manual.pdf

This is still totally stock.

CDFingers
If it's stock, the grip safety has standard pin that goes through the frame. I can also tell you that the plunger spring can get completely boogered-up if you don't have everything indexed.
What does the safety pin do?

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack