Re: Love me some .22LR

Well, it's a rifle, not a pistol, but... Here's my bipod-mounted Winchester 52 having fun at 25 yards. No rests, just bipod-and-shoulder.

Bucolic will be along shortly to embarrass me with his laser-beams, though...

The "EY" at the bottom is for Eley Yellow box (their cheap-ish "Target" stuff)

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Love me some .22LR

I blush, Sail. I do love rimfire. I wish I had some targets with my CZ 453 .17 HMR but I can’t find any in my piles. I pulled out some typical (I.e. really good) examples. All of these are rifles on bipods and a rear bag, shouldered. I don’t run the software that Sail does since I only have Apple products so they are measured with calipers.

Here’s one from my Kidd rifle “Boyd”. The holes down the center are sizers. The holes on the targets are five-round groups. This one is from 25 yards. Average Center to center diameter for the four groups of five rounds is 0.094 inches. It’s a good shooter!

Here’s one from the “Sleek Black Beauty” at 50yards. Ignore the sighters and sizers. Five round groups, average of three groups is 0.24 center to center.

And one from my Frankenruger compact from 50 yards. I never expected it to shoot like this! Average of four groups is 0.34 in.

I need to shoot some groups with my CZ 452. It may be better than any of these. Need some warm weather first!
Last edited by Bucolic on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, Sail! Maybe we should set up a match for rimfire rifles. Something to think about.

HotheadP, please note that for my targets, I am not concerned that they are not on the target center. All of these were deliberately aimed off center. I was shooting for consistency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote:Thanks, Sail! Maybe we should set up a match for rimfire rifles. Something to think about.

HotheadP, please note that for my targets, I am not concerned that they are not on the target center. All of these were deliberately aimed off center. I was shooting for consistency.

VERY nice idea... Keep it to 25 yards for the winter- I can open out to 50 in the summer.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Love me some .22LR

Great shooting and a great rifle. Except for the barrel, it’s nearly a twin to my Sleek Black Beauty. Down to the Sig Zee rings!

Edit: Also, yours has the two-stage trigger and the cool flat trigger blade. Nice! What is the trigger pull weights?

And, yes, the fly shoot was seated, no support other than a sling. I can’t remember if I used a sling. It was at fifteen yards, I think

Bucolic wrote:Great shooting and a great rifle. Except for the barrel, it’s nearly a twin to my Sleek Black Beauty. Down to the Sig Zee rings!
Thanks, I was noticing how similar they were. The Zees were for another rifle originally, but I upgraded it to a more beefy setup. These were perfect for this build. I’ll probably use another set for my next build (I have a silver Kidd receiver just waiting).
Bucolic wrote:What is the trigger pull weights?
Its been a while (2014), but i believe it was set at 3+3, so 6 oz total. It’s almost light enough that if a feather brushed it the rifle would send its payload down range.
Bucolic wrote:And, yes, the fly shoot was seated, no support other than a sling.
Thats what I remember. That’s some nice shooting there for off hand, even at 15 yards. I’ll have to go look at my target, but I’m pretty sure I missed some of those suckers.
Bucolic wrote:Also, was the mallet for the barrel installation?
Yes, that sucker didn’t want to seat!

It’s all about keeping the booger hook... never mind, Just keep the finger away from the trigger until you’re ready! And don’t let anyone breath near you. So far it’s been a pleasure to shoot.

I’m thinking of getting a barrel blank for the next one and having it threaded to the receiver by Connecticut precision. Sort of the next step into insanity. :blink: