Re: NEW: Ruger PC Carbine In 9mm (Yes, it DOES take Glock mags)

Deep13 wrote:Oh, yeah, I'm sold on it. I'll buy the first one my dealer gets. Wondering if I should go with the blue state model. I don't use a suppressor and doubt I ever will, and if I ever have to move to a blue state, I won't have to get rid of the carbine first (like I would for my AR15). Anyway, the Ruger carbine looks like it has it all over my Beretta carbine with its plastic trigger group and 92 series mags. (In fairness, those plastic trigger parts have been extremely reliable). Plus, the Beretta's raised sights prevent mounting a scope, if I ever wanted one.
Unobtainium found! I had to settle for the Blue State version, but my LGS sold it to me for $150 below MSRP.

More photos and range trip to follow.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Bucolic wrote:So cool!! My plans to get one have been delayed so I need to enjoy one vicariously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So, within an hour (including making coffee), I changed out the Ruger mag well for the Glock, mounted my Vortex Sparc II red dot on the picatinny rail, and changed the charging handle from the right to the left side.

It should be noted, all carbine mods were done with one Hex wrench (included in box).

K9s wrote:Hoping for a range report! I have read contradictory reviews on the trigger.
Spent my only free time for the next couple of weeks scouring my LGSs looking for it and tinkering.

I will say the trigger reset using snap caps is pleasant with no slop and has a very short travel. The bolt is buttery smooth with no grit, requiring a minimum amount of effort to cycle and has the same bolt hold design as the 10/22.

atxgunguy wrote:
K9s wrote:Hoping for a range report! I have read contradictory reviews on the trigger.
Spent my only free time for the next couple of weeks scouring my LGSs looking for it and tinkering.

I will say the trigger reset using snap caps is pleasant with no slop and has a very short travel. The bolt is buttery smooth with no grit, requiring a minimum amount of effort to cycle and has the same bolt hold design as the 10/22.
Congrats bro! Good score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

I can't find any in stock near me. There are plenty of "pre-order" opportunities but I want to see it in the flesh and handle it first. My Hi-Point 995TS is useless to me with the newly required "featureless" grip wrap; full control of the firearm is diminished. I guess the lack of available stock gives me time to sell the Hi-Point.

I have no use for a takedown carbine but this Ruger and the Chiappa M1-9 are the only real options for a 9mm PCC California. If this was a fixed barrel I would almost be tempted to pre-order; more than tempted, actually. I may yet find myself at Turner's, plastic in hand.

A fixed barrel even with no other aesthetic modifications would also be a bit more attractive; certainly more so than the "Police" version, I believe. The take down seam just reminds me a bit too much of a plumber crack.

Fix the barrel AND move the sight then you get a sexy PCC, way more modern and overall better looking than the old PCC, IMO (which tries a bit too hard to ape an M1)...
Ruger PC 9 Takedown .jpg
Ruger PC 9 Non-Takedown 2.jpg
Ruger Police Carbine 3.jpg
Last edited by m1ckDELTA on Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 10 times in total.

m1ckDELTA wrote:I can't find any in stock near me. There are plenty of "pre-order" opportunities but I want to see it in the flesh and handle it first. My Hi-Point 995TS is useless to me with the newly required "featureless" grip wrap; full control of the firearm is diminished. I guess the lack of available stock gives me time to sell the Hi-Point.

I have no use for a takedown carbine but this Ruger and the Chiappa M1-9 are the only real options for a 9mm PCC California. If this was a fixed barrel I would almost be tempted to pre-order; more than tempted, actually. I may yet find myself at Turner's, plastic in hand.

A fixed barrel even with no other aesthetic modifications would also be a bit more attractive; certainly more so than the "Police" version, I believe. The take down seam just reminds me a bit too much of a plumber crack...
I am going to wait for a less expensive non-takedown version to appear. I don't need another PCC, but I will get one of these once the price drops and it can accommodate Sig or Beretta mags.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:
m1ckDELTA wrote:I can't find any in stock near me. There are plenty of "pre-order" opportunities but I want to see it in the flesh and handle it first. My Hi-Point 995TS is useless to me with the newly required "featureless" grip wrap; full control of the firearm is diminished. I guess the lack of available stock gives me time to sell the Hi-Point.

A fixed barrel even with no other aesthetic modifications would also be a bit more attractive; certainly more so than the "Police" version, I believe. The take down seam just reminds me a bit too much of a plumber crack...
I am going to wait for a less expensive non-takedown version to appear. I don't need another PCC, but I will get one of these once the price drops and it can accommodate Sig or Beretta mags.
The best street prices I've seen for the PC Takedown are between $519-539, with a single story of finding one at $499. I don't know how much lower Ruger could go even for a fixed barrel. I certainly wouldn't pay list but I'd pay the same as the takedown for a fixed barrel. Ruger is probably a bit reticent about bringing to market what would essentially be a re-release of the discontinued, and by many accounts not well received, Police Carbine. I guess Ruger thinks the takedown version differentiates itself just enough, though.

I gotta say, the more I look at my fixed barrel with receiver mounted sight mock-up and see what could have been, the less I want to settle. I know, real life "birds in the hand" vs unicorns.

K9s wrote:You may be right. I just don't need another PCC for the same price and weight as an AR or AK. Especially if I have to buy a bunch of new mags for it that don't fit any of my pistols. My S2Ks work just fine.
When it comes to any sort of gadgetry, or in this case "new and improved feature", it's too easy to progress from being curious about it, to being fascinated by it, to being the owner of it, only to realize it's actually not what one really wanted or needed.

I've often wondered if manufacturers respond to unmet and unresearched demand; i.e., customer requests. Developing a product line is such a glacially slow and expensive process requiring tons of targeted market research that even if they received thousands of similar requests for something it would take too much money and time to be worth following up; they deal in the millions, not thousands. I wonder how much machining would have to be modified in order to make the version I mocked up. Probably so many as to make an "easy" switchover of the assembly cost prohibitive; another assembly line would have to be built from the ground up.

Deep13 wrote:I just got one! Got it from Kentucky Gun Works and had it sent to my FFL in Ohio. The trigger pull is nice, nothing like a Beretta Cx4 trigger. The trigger itself is plastic. I'll shoot it tomorrow. I already have a Ruger SR9c, so I already have a bunch of magazines.
Took mine out for its shakedown cruise this morning. Overall, it’s quite nice. I used 15 and 33 rnd Glock factory mags as well as 15-rnd Magpul magazines, all feedling reliably with not one hiccup. As far as ammo goes, I broke it in with 150 rounds of Winchester America Steel along with 100 rounds of Winchester 115gr Military. Not one issue.

As far as accuracy, I had a Vortex Sparc II mounted on the picatinny rail. It took a bit to get dialed in, but where the rounds did go was consistent and accurate at 25 yards.

In terms of the trigger, the break is crisp and reset reasonable for an out of the box trigger. I wouldn't change a thing, but I'm sure the 10/22 enthusiasts will want something a bit lighter.

Recoil is negligible. It's more than a 10/22, but that's not saying much. The weight of the rifle pretty much negates any climb when rapid firing. I can say the only time you can feel the weight is when shoulder firing the Glock 33 round mags. Towards the 25th round, you're wondering if your shoulder or the mag will be the first to run out.

Overall, it's great.

I will now post the requisite photos:

(The left target is me walking in the red dot)

Okay, you've all seen the promotional videos, so y'all know it's basic features. Here is my impression after shooting about 130 rounds at the 50 foot pistol range.
The trigger is pretty decent, better than my 2004 10/22, better than the Marlin "Camp" 9, and waaay better than the Beretta Storm carbine. Just for subjective reasons, I'd rather have a metal trigger, but the plastic one works fine and, unlike the Beretta, the hammer and other trigger group parts are metal. Also, the Beretta has considerable recoil for a 9mm due to the stiff spring and wrap-around bolt, while the Ruger is barely noticeable.

It came with an SR9 17-rounder. I already have a bunch of magazines for my SR9c and no Glock, so I left the Ruger mag-well installed. All functioned well except I got two FTEs that I suspect were caused by resting the gun on the magazine. Otherwise, perfect function with 100 Magtech and about 30 Win.white box. All were 115 gr. FMJ.

The only complaint is the weight. It's a heavy gun. Ruger's advertised weight is a whopping 6.8 lbs. (3 kg). The Beretta is more than a pound lighter at 5.7 lbs. (2.6 kg). The Ruger's more than Ruger's AR15 carbine, but 0.2 lb. lighter than a Marlin 336C. Kel-Tec's 9mm carbine, which also is available as a Glock magazine model, is a paltry 4.25 lbs. (1.9 kg). (These are all advertised weights). The fact that it is a take down adds some weight and frankly I don't have any real reason to take it down except that it facilitates cleaning from the breach. I'd rather have a non-TD and save the weight. Incidentally, the Beretta is also TD and it is easier to field strip than the Ruger.

The stock has texturing on the grip and fore end that is quite, well, grippy. It's a pattern of dimples and peaks, so eventually and with use, the peaks will become a little less sharp. The stock is about as hollowed out as it can be to avoid adding to the weight. Assuming I keep it and sell the Beretta carbine, I may use that spray can Duracoat to change the color. Black makes it too militaristic.

Attached is a photo of the target. I used the plain cardboard target to sight in the iron sights. They are easy to use, but at 50 feet it was necessary to move the sight to the top of the ramp. The upper left target group was for sighting in the laser and the Bushnell multi-reticle holo-sight. The lower left target in that group of four was seated, after the Bushnell was sighted in. The bottom right group of four where from a standing position. The small green and orange targets are from a seated position with no rest. At that range, accuracy is to be expected, and you can see that it did as well as my aim allowed.
Last edited by Deep13 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yet she persisted.
Attachments
Ruger PCC.jpg
PCC 9 target.jpg

Deep13 wrote:Hickok45's video shows a lot of malfunctions, especially with some 33-rd. Glock magazines he's had for awhile, especially one he had half full of hollow points for a long time.
I watched that video last night. I think he may have a lemon as I experienced no such malfunctions, shooting some arguable horribly processed Winchester American steel ammo without so much as an FTE, all mags holding open on empty. It should be noted that the 33-rd. Glock mag I have is brand new, being used for the first time the same day as the PC Carbine. The only thing I did was test-fire a few rounds in my Glock 19 to make sure it worked in general.

Mags used:

Magpul 15-rnd Mag (brand new)
33-rnd Glock Factory Mag (brand new)
3, 15-rnd Glock Factory Mag (~2-3 years old)

That, and it's just a fun range plinker. Even if it doesn't reliably fire HP, it's not a deal-breaker for me. Federal HST runs about $27/box and that is stupid expensive for plinking.

YMMV. I hope to see Hickok's issues are remedied by getting another carbine.

For what it's worth, it looks the new Ruger would be subject to the Dems proposed 2018 AW ban (granted, it won't pass but is the same bill I've seen them introduce before and likely the one that will be reintroduced in the future). The Mini 14, Camp 9 and M1A Carbine are excluded by name. If you're spending money on "future proofing", you might want to take that into consideration. Bummer. I'd like one of these but doesn't fit my niche based on that.

featureless wrote:For what it's worth, it looks the new Ruger would be subject to the Dems proposed 2018 AW ban (granted, it won't pass but is the same bill I've seen them introduce before and likely the one that will be reintroduced in the future). The Mini 14, Camp 9 and M1A Carbine are excluded by name. If you're spending money on "future proofing", you might want to take that into consideration. Bummer. I'd like one of these but doesn't fit my niche based on that.
I often have trouble deciding on what I'm having for lunch, let alone future-proofing for what-ifs.

atxgunguy wrote:
featureless wrote:For what it's worth, it looks the new Ruger would be subject to the Dems proposed 2018 AW ban (granted, it won't pass but is the same bill I've seen them introduce before and likely the one that will be reintroduced in the future). The Mini 14, Camp 9 and M1A Carbine are excluded by name. If you're spending money on "future proofing", you might want to take that into consideration. Bummer. I'd like one of these but doesn't fit my niche based on that.
I often have trouble deciding on what I'm having for lunch, let alone future-proofing for what-ifs.
You must not be a California gun owner! Enjoy your lunch, whatever it may be. :)