Gun safe time! Educate me please.

It was bound to happen my lock cabinet and general rifle storage strategy is becoming obsolete. What works for one or two bolt guns is not practical nor desirable for the long guns I've bought and intend to buy. I'm looking for some fire rating, ability to store under 10 long guns, under 10 handguns, no I don't have that many, tumbler type mechanical locking system, ability to increase fire rating (lining perhaps with additional Sheetrock), and some economy in price. What can y'all tell me? Oh and preferably something that fits through a standard 3'0" door.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Gun safe time! Educate me please.

I found this information to be helpful when I was researching:
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Where I live in less concerned about theft than fire, so I opted to focus on the fire rating and bought a 90 minute fire rated safe from AmSec. From my research it seemed like AmSec was a pretty good value and about as close as you get to Graffunder or Brown without their price. Their FV series seems pretty reasonably priced and you get 45 minutes of fire protection.

AZAndy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 am I can't recommend anything specific, as I just use a locking cabinet, but here's a handy tip: you can get more handguns in it if you stick some 3M hangers up the sides. I just use the three-pound rated ones. That saved me from buying a bigger cabinet, which I really don't have room for anyway.
Huh. Which type of 3M hangers do you use?

As for safes, I've had good luck with BassPro fire safes. They're made in Fort Worth in the same facility as the often pricier Wichester-branded safes.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm
AZAndy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 am I can't recommend anything specific, as I just use a locking cabinet, but here's a handy tip: you can get more handguns in it if you stick some 3M hangers up the sides. I just use the three-pound rated ones. That saved me from buying a bigger cabinet, which I really don't have room for anyway.

As for safes, I've had good luck with BassPro fire safes. They're made in Fort Worth in the same facility as the often pricier Wichester-branded safes.
Are they UL rated?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

They're like these: https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/comman ... 318&rt=rud

They mount with some sort of non-sticky gummy gel tape that doen't leave any residue when removed. The hooks are plastic, so they don't hurt the gun's finish, and are deep enough to hook the trigger guard. Here's a terrible cellphone photo to give you the idea:

Reunite Pangea!

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Are they UL rated?
Yes, they are.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead ... 00019572-1
LGC Texas - Vice President

Safes are one of the few opportunities in the life of a US gun owner to spend our money with people who give less of it to conservative political causes.

LL Bean's safe prices aren't spectacularly low on the face of it, but once you figure in shipping their price is pretty good. They have a small selection, but I was able to find what I was looking for.

Marlene wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm Safes are one of the few opportunities in the life of a US gun owner to spend our money with people who give less of it to conservative political causes.

LL Bean's safe prices aren't spectacularly low on the face of it, but once you figure in shipping their price is pretty good. They have a small selection, but I was able to find what I was looking for.
What did you buy and what were your needs?

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:29 pm
Marlene wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm Safes are one of the few opportunities in the life of a US gun owner to spend our money with people who give less of it to conservative political causes.

What did you buy and what were your needs?
I bought a locking cabinet from them many years ago, and then a safe about the size you’re looking for. I’ve bought other things since then, but that’s about as much detail as I like to share in public. They have some stack on stuff and I think some others

I would suggest you go a size larger than what you think you need. I'm so glad I did that years ago when I bought my AmSec safe. especially if you use the safe to stash jewelry, documents, or other non-firearm valuables.

The other decision is electronic keypad vs old school twist knob combination for access. I went with the keypad since I'm in and out of my safe several times a day. Definitely more convenient. I do have to keep spare batteries around in case the ones in the keypad run low. Also, the keypad went bad on me once, and I was essentially locked out of my safe until I could get a new keypad. It's a standard plug in part that the safe store carried, but after that experience I ordered an extra keypad that I keep in a secure location. I also started storing a shotgun and a pistol in a separate hidden location in case of another lock out.