Mosin calling my name..

My favorite ma & pop LGS has a very nice looking M91/59 in his rack. The stock and exterior steel have been cleaned up and look great, the action and barrel are still full of cosmo.

They are asking $350.00 tax included. Fair?

I kinda want a Mosin to go with my M-48 Yugo Mauser. Just getting started in Mil-surps.

Edited to add:

The receiver is drilled for a scope mount on the left side. so it looks like the 91/30 that was cut down started life as a sniper model. So presumably I could modify the stock to permit installation of a Mosin scope mount if I can find one.
Last edited by Woodsman on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member, LGC

Re: Mosin calling my name..

You don't want to scope that; the recoil will try to drive that scope into your face. If you're lucky, you'll see a nice fireball before that happens.
Yeah, $350 seems the going rate for them. I still prefer to shoot mine over the M44
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

The 91/30s around here are listed around $275-300. M44s more. It's interesting it was an ex sniper and they didn't fill the holes.

If you cut the stock you might lower the value. Maybe look for a replacement or at a minimum shoot it first to see if it's accurate enough to justify scoping.

People occasionally sell surplus spam cans around here, so I grab them if they are cheap enough.
Brian

Marlene wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm For that much money, I’d go the additional couple hundred and get a Finn M39.

That said, I dunno what current pricing is on the gun you’re looking at, but it sounds like a solid rifle.
This.
Or if you want that one you might be able to find an already modified or original PU stock online. But, if you plan on modifying the rifle you'll need to modify or buy a PU bent bolt for it. The regular one will not work with a scope. A bolt will cost you around $200 another $200 to $300 for an original scope. Before you know it you could have just bought a PU rifle with original equipment.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:54 pm They were $150ish 10 years ago. I still kick myself for not picking one up, and an sks. Must remind myself I'm not a collector.
and 15 years ago they were under 100, and before that...
i remember about 02 i went to a gun show and picked up a non-descript 91/30 moisin AND a czech romanian contract vz24 mauser for well under 200. those were the days, and they're gone.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 am
Marlene wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm For that much money, I’d go the additional couple hundred and get a Finn M39.

That said, I dunno what current pricing is on the gun you’re looking at, but it sounds like a solid rifle.
This.
Or if you want that one you might be able to find an already modified or original PU stock online. But, if you plan on modifying the rifle you'll need to modify or buy a PU bent bolt for it. The regular one will not work with a scope. A bolt will cost you around $200 another $200 to $300 for an original scope. Before you know it you could have just bought a PU rifle with original equipment.
Yup and Inomaha's point about ruining the collector's value is also a good one of course. I woke up thinking about buying this rifle this morning, so I'm heading out there after work :D If I end up doing anything to it, I'll put a Mojo peep sight on it like I did with my M-48 Yugo. Really helps my 60ish eyes and is completely non-invasive and reversible.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. I'll post pic pics..
Member, LGC

Woodsman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:31 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 am

This.
Yup and Inomaha's point about ruining the collector's value is also a good one of course. I woke up thinking about buying this rifle this morning, so I'm heading out there after work :D If I end up doing anything to it, I'll put a Mojo peep sight on it like I did with my M-48 Yugo. Really helps my 60ish eyes and is completely non-invasive and reversible.

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. I'll post pic pics..
Sounds like a good plan! If you get it you'll enjoy it for sure.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Did you pick it up? I think everyone was surprised when the Mosins went from cheap & available to expensive & hard-to-find. My guess is that you won't find one for much cheaper than that any more. I don't think you will regret having bought it.

Also, there was a Howling Raven muzzle device for the 91/30 that was expensive and now costs $40 if you decide you want that, too.

I begrudgingly bought two 91/30 and a T-53 & M44 and ammo when prices started to rise a bit ($150) - just for something cheap to shoot. Literally a few months later, 7.62x54R prices shot up and Mosins disappeared. I am keeping a gorgeous 91/30 and M44 in cosmo as a retirement investment (with spam cans of ammo).
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Late to this thread, but I have a few Mosins, and some m39's, and I'll agree with sikacz and Marlene about the quality of these rifles.

I see you've totally caught milsurpitis because you want a Mosin to go with your Yugo. This is why I'm heavily invested in stock in gun safe companies.

A .30 cal is a great rifle, with many capabilities. Worked on, these will shoot very well.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:35 am Late to this thread, but I have a few Mosins, and some m39's, and I'll agree with sikacz and Marlene about the quality of these rifles.

I see you've totally caught milsurpitis because you want a Mosin to go with your Yugo. This is why I'm heavily invested in stock in gun safe companies.

A .30 cal is a great rifle, with many capabilities. Worked on, these will shoot very well.

CDFingers
Yep I bought it and I have indeed caught the bug. Now I want a Garand to go with the Yugo and the Mosin :D

Here is the 91/59:

The parent 91/30 was built 1943 and has what I'm given to understand is an Izhevsk arsenal mark (wreathed hammer and sickle) BTW, this carbine is not drilled for a scope mount as I previously reported. I looked at several Mosins that afternoon and got that detail turned around in my head. So this is a nice, common starter Mosin with all matched parts. I still need to get the cosmo out once I understand how to disassemble the bolt. Hopefully the new YouTube rules haven't killed off videos of that sort..
Member, LGC