Re: New to me failure - double feed? Stovepipe?

Funny, I had this same exact thing happen to me in my MK III. For me it was 'Pow, cycle, click' and the case stuck in the chamber was empty, with a new round jammed while trying to slot into the occupied chamber. At first, I thought squib. Nope, just the case stuck in the chamber and the ejector wouldn't... eject.

This happened with Aguila Super Extra; I changed ammo and 'poof,' problem gone. Very weird.

What ammo? Have you tried a different kind?
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Could be. I only shoot one or two different types.

By the way, I did not mean to imply that you were guilty of poor chamber hygiene ;-)

Worth trying a different type of ammo. You also might take the barrel off and see if a round inserted by hand gets stuck. If so, try a different type and see. If they both get stuck, scrub the chamber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bacchus wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm Funny, I had this same exact thing happen to me in my MK III. For me it was 'Pow, cycle, click' and the case stuck in the chamber was empty, with a new round jammed while trying to slot into the occupied chamber. At first, I thought squib. Nope, just the case stuck in the chamber and the ejector wouldn't... eject.
Same thing happened to me on Friday- on a really clean MKIII running my normal CCI mini-mags. Got worse with the Aguila target ammo, but also seemed to be having light primer strikes. I ordered a VQ firing pin and extractor replacement since both are original and have had many thousands of rounds through it.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:59 pm
Bacchus wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm Funny, I had this same exact thing happen to me in my MK III. For me it was 'Pow, cycle, click' and the case stuck in the chamber was empty, with a new round jammed while trying to slot into the occupied chamber. At first, I thought squib. Nope, just the case stuck in the chamber and the ejector wouldn't... eject.
Same thing happened to me on Friday- on a really clean MKIII running my normal CCI mini-mags. Got worse with the Aguila target ammo, but also seemed to be having light primer strikes. I ordered a VQ firing pin and extractor replacement since both are original and have had many thousands of rounds through it.
Interesting. Are you thinking worn parts to blame? I'll have to give mine closer inspection. Mine may be in the low thousands count by now, but I can't figure why different ammo would clear the fault; Maybe just a teeny bit different in specs?

EDIT TO ADD: ...Or is this just the Universe telling me I need an MK IV Competition Model? ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

My gut tells me your gun wasn't returning to full battery. It could be the previous round had enough umph to chamber a new round, but not to put the slide all the way into battery. During the ammo shortage, I tried to shoot some Super X through my 22 and gave up...it just wouldn't eat it.

So, either bad ammo or maybe you were riding the slide?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

New to me failure - double feed? Stovepipe?

senorgrand wrote:My gut tells me your gun wasn't returning to full battery. It could be the previous round had enough umph to chamber a new round, but not to put the slide all the way into battery. During the ammo shortage, I tried to shoot some Super X through my 22 and gave up...it just wouldn't eat it.

So, either bad ammo or maybe you were riding the slide?
Definitely wasn’t riding the slide. Based on everyone’s posts in this thread, it sounds to me like it’s definitely the ammo. Had no problems with a few thousand rounds of CCI, but these malfunctions were all with Winchester ammo.
Last edited by Maccabee on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I will echo what others have said, .22 caliber firearms are notoriously finicky, and .22 ammo doesn't seem to be manufactured to exacting standards. That said, I'm wondering if there is a primer strike? This would be a failure to fire as well as a failure to extract. But if the CCI is working for you, then keep using that. If the problem persists I would take it to a gunsmith and have them do some measurements for wear on the internals, or you could just upgrade to new stuff.

Maccabee, it appears your gun may be dirty. A .22 round stuck in the chamber, as Bucolic said, commonly implies a dirty chamber.

But also your firing pin/bolt may be gunked up as well. An unfired round with such a slight dimple indicates a poor strike more than a bad round. But switching ammo may solve that problem. However, you may find all the problems resolved after a thourough cleaning with chamber brush, toothpicks, or dental tool.

Barring that then yes, ammo related.

Baccus, a stuck empty .22 case in the chamber indicates a dirty chamber or dirty extractor. Sometimes it points to a worn extractor but on a newer gun with just a few thousand rounds that’s not likely the case. (Sorry, no real excuse to throw money at the gun.) You, also, may find all the problems resolved after a thourough cleaning with chamber brush, toothpicks, or dental tool.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Stick655 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:09 pm I will echo what others have said, .22 caliber firearms are notoriously finicky, and .22 ammo doesn't seem to be manufactured to exacting standards. That said, I'm wondering if there is a primer strike? This would be a failure to fire as well as a failure to extract. But if the CCI is working for you, then keep using that. If the problem persists I would take it to a gunsmith and have them do some measurements for wear on the internals, or you could just upgrade to new stuff.
Hi Stick655 ! Welcome to the forums. Please head over to the New Member Intro forum and introduce yourself.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed