One inch rifle out of the box

There was a question in another thread asking if there are any one MOA rifles “out of the box.” CZs were mentioned. It happens that I have a CZ 452 trainer in .22LR that is pretty fresh out of the box. I only had an opportunity to shoot it once before the nasty PA winter precluded my taking it to the range, and that was with iron sights.

Today is sunny with temps in the high 40s which is a lot better than we have seen lately and a new storm will arrive tonight so I saw a brief window open and took it. I put a scope on the rifle and went to the range, intending to just sight it in. That went well so I decided to shoot some groups to try to understand how it likes to be held (gently, it turns out; not like my Kidds).

Here are some five-round groups at fifty yards off a cheap bipod and a rear bunny bag. I shot CCI SV, my go-to pretty-good-but-not-great ammo. The small squares are 1/4” on a side so, with the exception of group 1, all are better than half inch at fifty yards. I pulled the errant round in that group. The other four rounds in the group are w/i 0.25 inch, center to center.

Yes, I know this does not necessarily translate to one inch at a hundred yards but it’s darned good. I have not done anything to the rifle to optimize it and I probably won’t since I am going to take the scope off and shoot it with irons. This rifle is FAR more accurate than I am with irons although it is tempting to try some groups with better ammo.

Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Re: One inch rifle out of the box

I heard all the .22 target shooters like Standard Velocity rounds. Have you noticed a difference in accuracy vs HV out of your CZ?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

One inch rifle out of the box

Bisbee wrote:I heard all the .22 target shooters like Standard Velocity rounds. Have you noticed a difference in accuracy vs HV out of your CZ?
Honestly, I have not tried anything other than the SV in this rifle. I’ve only shot it twice. Oh, I may have shot a couple Minimags through it just to see how loud it is but that was before I mounted the scope.

The supersonic rounds have issues beyond about 75 yards when they go through the sonic transition.

I have found the CCI SV to be pretty consistently good and it burns clean. I can get it for less than 8 cents per round so it’s a good compromise of cost vs performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Bucolic on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SailDesign wrote:
Bucolic wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm
SailDesign wrote:Nicey-nice!! :)
Sail, what is the name of the software package you use to analyze your targets?
OnTarget PC. Seems to work reasonably well, but you have to "white-list" on Norton, or it keeps removing it... THAT was annoying till I sorted it out... :)
Thanks. I have Macs but I think there’s a pc laptop around here somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tikka and Weatherby are two brands that guarantee MOA, as well as the some Ruger lines. If Tikka does, I'm sure Sako does too; I dont think Howa does officially but they should shoot similar to Vanguards. I think some other brands might for some rifles (Savage?)

I don't think CZ does officially but they normally do, and they include a printed shoot test result.