Hunting weight Sharps 45/70

After searching for many years I finally found an 8 llb (really 8 1/2 lb) Sharps. This one was made by Wisconsin gunsmith Ken Howell who usually makes beautiful, fully functional guns for the movie industry. I will go down to visit him next week to see if he remembers in which movies it was used.

Re: Hunting weight Sharps 45/70

The former owner won a match with it using the full buckhorn rear sight. He had to move it slightly to the side to get it on target. When I shot it today, I got a great group that was slightly to the left, so I assume it can be centered. I have been promised the vernier peep sight with which he got it, so I will wait until that gets here and sight it in for myself. BTW, round to half round/octagonal is a time honored style. This is a Ballard .22 that was presented by a NY shooting club in the 1800's.

Last edited by JoelB on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlene wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 pm Lovely!

Is the action an original or is this the Shiloh we discussed you getting?
No Marlene. I sold the Shiloh because it was over 11lbs. Ken started with a Pedersoli action that he refined and finished, The barrel that came from Badger and was long, heavy and round. he shaped, chambered and shortened it. He made the stock and forend tip. With my light, 300 gr cast bullet 45/70 loads this one is a pleasure to shoot offhand.

For some strange reason none of the Italian makers have made a lightweight Sharps. Ken told me he made 30 of these around 1989 for a large company. He's older than me and thinks if it was Gander Mountain, but he is not sure. In any case, even with a steel buttplate 8 1/2 lbs easaly absorbs the recoil of a 45/70 and can be held offhand with no problem. He also told me this is only the second one he's heard of to hit the market. As typical of his work, it is unmarked except for his serial number and caliber. The weight reduction appears to have been achieved by shortening and contouring the barrel. If you have the time, I'm sure you could match it. The only cravat is that he found the Italian barrels must have been straightened, because they tended to warp, which is why he ended up using Badger barrels for the last 9 he made.