Re: First Time Shooting Revolvers

Bucolic wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:57 am Sail, I love the fact that you bought the Husky because it was made by the same company as your lawn tractor. Now you’ve got me looking for a John Deere in .41 Magnum., in green, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ironically, the first time I heard of Husqvarna was from "Cycle" and "Cycle World" for their off-road and dual-purpose motorcycles, which are still made and have been since 1903!
They go back to 1689, starting as...an arms company commissioned by the King of Sweden. It was years later I learned they made things like chain saws and leaf blowers.

It all kind of fits. The legendary British bikes, BSA, were by Birmingham Small Arms as were Royal Enfield motorcycles, still made in India. Laverda, the awesome beast bike of the late 70's and 80's was made by a tractor company. And I believe Lamborghini was (or still is) made by a tractor company as well! And Honda's small engine group (generators, snow blowers, lawn gear etc) is considered THE gold standard. Then there's Yamaha, who makes, well, everything.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Bucolic wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:57 am Sail, I love the fact that you bought the Husky because it was made by the same company as your lawn tractor. Now you’ve got me looking for a John Deere in .41 Magnum., in green, of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, that and the fact that it is an EXTREMELY handsome beast, in the kind of esoteric calibre that just floats my boat. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
_SCB2450A_resize.JPG

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 pm As I posted in another thread, I ordered a Ruger 1771 GP100 7 round 4.2" .357 in stainless tonight.
Hoping it's what I want and need it to be.
I hope you'll like it. I have a 4" GP100 with a (I believe fairly rare) half-lug barrel and fixed sights, which I enjoy shooting very much. An adjustable rear sight is a big plus for a .357 since the range of possible bullet weights is very large (I have 75 grain to 215 grain, which is a bit ridiculous) and that drastically alters the vertical POI. Keep notes on the sight settings and you will be able to dial in the right elevation for any given load in five seconds. The GP100 trigger isn't as nice as a Smith & Wesson, but it's fine. The trigger is FAR from the biggest source of my inaccuracy. :blush:
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:37 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:54 pm As I posted in another thread, I ordered a Ruger 1771 GP100 7 round 4.2" .357 in stainless tonight.
Hoping it's what I want and need it to be.
I hope you'll like it. I have a 4" GP100 with a (I believe fairly rare) half-lug barrel and fixed sights, which I enjoy shooting very much. An adjustable rear sight is a big plus for a .357 since the range of possible bullet weights is very large (I have 75 grain to 215 grain, which is a bit ridiculous) and that drastically alters the vertical POI. Keep notes on the sight settings and you will be able to dial in the right elevation for any given load in five seconds. The GP100 trigger isn't as nice as a Smith & Wesson, but it's fine. The trigger is FAR from the biggest source of my inaccuracy. :blush:
Wowsers. What bullet are you using for the 215 grain loads, and do you know the velocity? That is a crazy high SD. That would shoot through just about anything.

leftneck wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 pm Wowsers. What bullet are you using for the 215 grain loads, and do you know the velocity? That is a crazy high SD. That would shoot through just about anything.
This bullet: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm

Purchased here: http://westernbullet.com/3535738caliber.html

I used Unique and AA#9 the first time I loaded them. #9 seemed better. Can't remember if I ever chronoed them myself. Maybe I'll dig into my notes later.

They did NOT work from my Rossi 92. Twist rate is too slow and they were tumbling before they went 25 yards.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

So...today I made to the range and spent most of the time shooting my new Ruger GP100 7 round revolver. I got some HKS 7-round quickloaders. They don't exactly fit the Ruger, but enough to work. I'm modifying one to see if I can make it work better with the Ruger. Also brought my P320 with the new Carry grip. And my Cx4.

I still have a lot to learn about the Ruger. It's 'way better than any of the range rats I test shot, and I mostly shot .38 FMJ, and about 14 rounds of .357 jacketed flat-nose The .357 kicks hard, but the .38 is pretty easy to handle. Still, my accuracy with the revolver didn't compare with the Sig. I need to work on it.

Meantime, my work on the Cx4 was far, FAR better than last time. At 15 yards, first shot hit the bull and all the clustered around it. At 25 yards, I was shooting so much better than my last outing! I can't find the post where someone gave some excellent suggestions, but I focused more on the red dot and less on the target and was happy with the results. I put about 60 rounds through it. Range time was limited and most was spent on the new Ruger.

At this point, I still have to say I like Semis better than revolvers. I feel like I'm much more awkward with the revolver.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

That's basically the model I have, too, full lug. You've seen pics. What I like most is its mass when shooting full power .357's. Works well there. And it's very precise as well out to 25 yards. If I shoot farther than that it feels like I'm shelling the target, and we know that's due to the short sight radius. At proper handgun ranges this is an excellent revolver. Congrats.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:11 pm That's basically the model I have, too, full lug. You've seen pics. What I like most is its mass when shooting full power .357's. Works well there. And it's very precise as well out to 25 yards. If I shoot farther than that it feels like I'm shelling the target, and we know that's due to the short sight radius. At proper handgun ranges this is an excellent revolver. Congrats.

CDFingers
Thanks. Do you have the fiber optics front sight? It shoots very differently than the striker-firing 9mm. I like the rubber and wood handgrip. Got a bunch of ammo so next outing I can shoot it a lot more.

I must give Bud's credit: They were supposed to send me 5 boxes of .38 FMJ CCI Blazer Brass, but they sent 4 and a box of 9mm. They are sending me the fifth box and don't want the 9mm back , which I'll use.

SailDesign wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:02 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm No fiber front site. It's just white. The grips feel so natural now I'm not sure the sights mean much outside of Bullseye matches. Points right where I want it to.

CDFingers
"Points" just where you want it to, but will it "Hit" there...? :)
:rolleyes:

This is the GP100 1771--4.2", 7 rounds, fiber optic front sight, S/S.

CDFingers wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:55 pm No fiber front site. It's just white. The grips feel so natural now I'm not sure the sights mean much outside of Bullseye matches. Points right where I want it to.

CDFingers
I'll shoot this current Bullseye match to see. Will post results next week in the Competition sub, and make a note on this thread. :yes:

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 am

CDFingers
I'll shoot this current Bullseye match to see. Will post results next week in the Competition sub, and make a note on this thread. :yes:

CDFingers
Cool! :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

eelj wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:52 pm Nice gun, I'm a firm believer in the zen method of learning how to shoot. As you get better simply make the target smaller by increasing the distance.
Byron Ferguson shoots aspirin tablets out of the air with a bow and arrow. Asked how he can do that, he replied that he merely shoots at the center, which is always the same size.

Same with revolvers.

CDFingers