Re: Great. Now I'm addicted to punching paper at long range.

Next step is an Atlas Bipod and front end rail to mount it and a muzzle brake. Little by little I'm building her up.
AddVortexScopeFinalOpenActi.jpg
Weather here is double digits below zero so shooting it and getting the scope zeroed would not be a whole lot of fun. I'm concentrating on bore sighting and tweaking the optics mounting and procuring the bipod and brake. I *really* wanna put some rounds thru her but it has to wait..... :crazy:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Still working on this rifle - added a Bipod, muzzle Brake, and adjusted the comb height. I got a rear Bean Bag from TAB. Really helps keep things solid.
AddCombRiserandBeanBag.jpg
CurrentPrecisionRifle.jpg
I got some time to sight it at The Farm....took me abut 10 rounds to get it shooting to POA at 100 yards. Here's the last group we shot.
100YardGroup.jpg
I belong to a Club that has high power ranges out to 600 yards so I'll be concentrating on pushing it out and see what she can do. Overall I'm pretty thrilled with it for a build based on a factory barrel and action. Hope to put a chassis on it this Fall and see if I can improve it even more. Not bad for my first precision rifle.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

That's nice shooting. It takes me about three years to finish a rifle project. Like with my 7mm Mauser, I'm almost done: my next and last step is the work up of a load. I've not had time to get out to my reloading shack yet, but I will. Then I will finish my .308 or my 03A3, which only needs head spacing. Love projects, but must be patient.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Joined a Fudd Rifle Club and got the whole place to myself last evening. Managed to sight my new gun and take my time getting it all set up. Lookie here!
75YardsandaNickle.jpg
75 yards taking my time. Beautiful sun from behind me and Hornady 140. gr. Match ammo. Wow. Then we moved it out to 100 yards... I threw one low but that's my fault.
100YardsandaNickle.jpg
And that's a nickle - not a quarter. Holy poo...Now I am truly addicted. Moving it out too 200/300 yards soon. Observing a match tomorrow. I'm over tha fact that the Fudd Club won't condone concealed carry. I have unlimited access too a 100, 200, 300 and 600 yard range qith virtually no one bothering me or making demands. I can shoot and set targets and chill to my own pace. Very cool. Sub MOA performance from a factory gun and a newbie shooter. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it didn't happen or it's a fabrication.

Love throwing 140 grain lead 100+ yards down range and hitting exactly what I'm looking at. I am addicted. Now to do it at 1 mile.

VooDoo

Yeah, when I first joined I was *really* upset at the political mindset that actually forbids concealed carry of a loaded gun at this club. There are signs posted everywhere, at every individual range, that reiterate that carry a loaded gun off the firing line is grounds for being kicked out. But the facility and all of the ranges are fabulous. Outstanding....pretty hard to come by a club with 100, 200, 300, and 600 yard rifle ranges *and* state of the art indoor shooting facilities, concrete walled outside lanes where one can practice drawing/moving/shooting from concealment, the whole 9 yards for $75 a year.

I'm a lucky dog now that I have compartmentalized the disdain many of my fellow members have for folks who don't compete or who use pistols for self defense and carry concealed. I don't get it but I have adopted a "don't ask/don't tell" persona and get along great with everyone. They are a little amazed that I have built this gun up and that I'm shooting it sub MOA and I have no mentor or teacher as a rifleman and have no desire to compete in the matches. It totally stunned a couple guys who are members that I'm just not competitive.

How'd I learn to shoot like that? I didn't yet...just bought a great gun and did the research and now I'm accessorizing it and playing "dress up" and having a blast. I don't feel the need to compete against anyone but maybe myself and shoot better/longer every session this Summer.

Damn. Who knew rifles could be this much fun?

VooDoo

I wanted to post pix of the final evolution of this rifle. My very first venture into long guns and Precision Shooting. Not intending it to be a competition thing - I just adore launching projectiles with immense precision against very small (MOA) targets at increasingly long distances.

Anyway...
OnRange.jpg
On the range testing various bullet weights for inherent accuracy.
Savage10FCP_MDTchassis.jpg
Sitting in her case...I added a tactical chassis, Adjustable butt stock, and a textured rubber grip as well as an AICS polymer magazine. Shoots sub .75 MOA out to 600 yards so far. Reloading this Winter. It's a lot of fun.

VooDoo

Voodoo, for those of us not yet knowledgeable enough to recognize a gun on sight, please share the make, model and caliber, please.

I, too, am interested in long range shooting. I just purchased a Swedish mauser, I love this gun!!! I took it to the world famous Knob Creek range, put my pizza box target at 150 yards. Once I found the correct point of aim, I was nailing them in there. I know lots of folks could do better, but for someone that had never shot that far before, I was thrilled. So a few weeks later I went back to the range, ran the target out to 350 yards. Let's just say it was a humbling experience, and I saved money by being able to reuse an untouched target again.
But I'm not giving up. I just need a little more practice, next time at 200 yards.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I started this project back in October of last year.....this thread has been running and all of the particulars are upstream.

As a recap: Started with a Savage 10 FCP-SR Factory rifle - 24" fluted barrel. The rifle is chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. Then over a period of months I added a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24X50 scope and Vortex Defender flip up caps mounted in Vortex Pro 30mm rings. Added: Atlas BT-10 bipod, Modular Driven Technologies (MDT) LSS-XL Gen2 Tactical Chassis and a XLR Industries Extreme butt stock. Added a front M-Lok rail. Added an Area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake. Added a Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. Added a Vortex bubble level. Added an MDT AICS pattern polymer 8 round magazine.

Started testing a few weeks ago to find it's preferred bullet weight but the dang thing pretty much shoots .7 MOA all the way out to 600 yards no matter what I feed it. And *I'm* the limiting factor. If I can get better and stop getting flyers (I can feel myself throwing them by not controlling trigger/breathing and getting behind the gun properly) this thing will shoot .4 - .5 MOA with factory ammunition. I shudder to think what it will do with hand loads and a competent driver.

So far about $2000 invested. I keep asking myself what to do next and the answer to that now is to shoot the hell out of it until I'm competent. Hand loading is gonna be a trip....I have hand loaded tens of thousands of rounds for hand guns over the last 40ish years. Never did this before. It's been a very interesting trip.

VooDoo

Damn! What a great place to shoot. We can shoot to 200, but getting past the rattlesnakes to post targets can be daunting, particularly when you're not allowed to shoot them. Very nice shooting and rifle. And for a few less $$$ than my 260 cost to put together. Good on you.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing the cause, and misapplying the wrong remedies. Marx (Groucho Marx)

lurker wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 pm
Hiker wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am But I'm not giving up. I just need a little more practice, next time at 200 yards.
hitting high or low?
I don't know. It was a small target (12 inch diameter) on a politician yard sign. The grass on the range and the distance kept me from seeing where bullets were landing.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:57 pm
Hiker wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am But I'm not giving up. I just need a little more practice, next time at 200 yards.
hitting high or low?
I don't know. It was a small target (12 inch diameter) on a politician yard sign. The grass on the range and the distance kept me from seeing where bullets were landing.
Well, I hope it was a Republican candidate ;)

Hiker wrote:
hitting high or low?
Yes, start closer and then back away slowly (or move the target out a little further), keeping track of your POI so you can tell what's go on.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Mustang wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:13 pm Well, I hope it was a Republican candidate ;)
It was a Democrat, but she was in bed with the churches and voted against LGBT rights.