Talk me into or out of...

I was visiting my LGS because I am kinda like Norm from Cheers at the place. They miss me when I have been gone too long.
Here's the thing, they have a brand new Ruger GP100 chambered in 10mm. They also have a Remington R1 1911 Hunter also chambered in 10mm. I have only recently discovered this round and am quite fond of it. My first foray into that caliber was when I purchased a Tanfoglio Elite Witness. I have no affiliation when it comes to the whole Semi Auto vs Revolver Debate. I swing both ways. I like the deliberate slow pace of shooting revolvers. The crisp break of the trigger and snap of the recoil behind every shot is very mind settling. Transversely, I also enjoy the quick target re-acquisition and mechanics of a semi-auto.

Can anybody find just cause for not buying either of these? Pro's about either one?
I know this is the wrong place to be totally talked out of a purchase, I only wish to buy the right one now before they are both gone.

Remington:
https://www.remington.com/handguns/mode ... 0mm-hunter

Ruger:
https://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchCh ... /1775.html
Last edited by FlyGuy on Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Re: Talk me into or out of...

Do you like 1911 ergonomics? They don't work for me. I think I would extra not care them in that snappy caliber.

If you don't like the way the GP feels, I'm sure there are zillions of aftermarket grip options to make it right.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 am Do you like 1911 ergonomics? They don't work for me. I think I would extra not care them in that snappy caliber.

If you don't like the way the GP feels, I'm sure there are zillions of aftermarket grip options to make it right.
I have an old Ruger Security Six in .357 that I like very much. I would think that I would be buying a duplicate.

featureless wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:24 am Reminington is heading into bankruptcy. Ruger is not. If that makes a difference to you. People really like their GP100s. It's likely a more heritage-worthy tool than the 1911.
^this is a compelling argument for Ruger. I think the Ruger will also hold its value in the unlikely event you want to sell it. People like the Hell out of Ruger revolvers.
LGC Texas - Vice President

senorgrand wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am This thread is useless without pics!

Oh, another reason to get the Ruger...you can shoot cheapish 40 from it.
I was having issues Loading pics I could load one but not the other. The preview showed both, but then after I submitted, the Ruger disappeared all together.
The attachment Remington R1 1911 Hunter.JPG is no longer available
Remington R1 1911 Hunter.JPG

While I do love me some revolvers, I also like the lines of that 1911. Something appealing about long slide 1911s, and the cartridge would take advantage of the extra barrel length.

One last plus for the revolver though -- reloading is made a hell of a lot easier by not having to chase your brass. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Get the GP100.

Having been with the 10mm since the original 5" 610 scorched my credit card 25+ years ago, through the dark years when it was limping along on the Glock 20 and a few 1911 options, to its current massive resurgence, I can assure you a revolver in 10mm will not disappoint.

Ruger has hit their stride lately, and I think the GP100 10mm would make you really happy. You can shoot all the .40 you want when you find deals (my local shops occasionally blow it out at near 9x19 prices) and enjoy more 10mm options than ever.

You'll appreciate the versatility of that revolver a great deal. You can shoot 350 ftlb energy .40 ammo on up to 700+ ftlb boutique brand 10mm, and that Ruger won't complain a bit.

The 1911 can wait. Grab the Ruger before they pull a S&W on us and shorten the run. Look at 610 prices on gunbroker to see what I mean. They peaked two summers ago (original 610s were being bid over 2k), but they're all still selling for $1300 or more. You have your Witness Elite (nice gun BTW) on the auto side.

We expect a range report, and a side by side photo with your EAA!
Last edited by Uplander on Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be- Roger Waters

Uplander wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:18 am You'll also appreciate the zero brass loss provided by moonclips- and the speed with which you can perform reloads.

I grabbed this photo as I was packing up after a trip to my club's steel range Monday after work.

IMG_2997.jpg
Nice photo! :thumbup:
I think I am getting a resounding "Revolver"!
I am going to put a few financial things in order, then I will be ready for the purchase.
I had to start by putting the right carrot in front of me for maximum fiscal fortitude. :w00t:

Uplander wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:09 am Ruger has hit their stride lately, and I think the GP100 10mm would make you really happy. You can shoot all the .40 you want when you find deals (my local shops occasionally blow it out at near 9x19 prices) and enjoy more 10mm options than ever.

That's a good point. My least favorite thing about 10 mm is chasing scarce brass and the high price of ammo if I didn't want to spend 10 times as much time loading as I do shooting it up. Cheap .40 would be a nice alternative.

Counterpoint: I've been told (by someone who claims to have done it a lot) that a 10 mm auto with the right extractor (specifically, a Glock) can also shoot .40 by headspacing on the extractor, so this may not be strictly a revolver-only thing. I've never tried this with my Witnesses.
Grab the Ruger before they pull a S&W on us and shorten the run. Look at 610 prices on gunbroker to see what I mean. They peaked two summers ago (original 610s were being bid over 2k), but they're all still selling for $1300 or more. You have your Witness Elite (nice gun BTW) on the auto side.
Also a good point, although I'd wonder if Rugers typically have the same inflation factor as S&Ws. Particularly a concern if people get their panties in a bunch over the shenanigans that the activist stockholders on Ruger's board are pulling lately. Will the brand become a pariah again (as S&W also did in the 90s, IIRC) due to politics? Maybe that doesn't affect the used market...
Last edited by Buck13 on Thu May 17, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Also remember that the cylinder gap will rob you of a bit of velocity in the revolver. Ballistics By The Inch did a study of that. You'd be hard-pressed to tell without a chrono, of course, but it is a small point in favor of an auto at any given barrel length.

Note, as I'm trying to talk you out of the Ruger, that I own a tiny amount of Ruger stock. Because, apparently, I'm an idiot. ;)
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:35 pm Also a good point, although I'd wonder if Rugers typically have the same inflation factor as S&Ws.
The SP101 .327 3" and the GP100 .327 4" sure did. They went from being unicorns to unaffordable unicorns shortly after Ruger discontinued them (both were north of $1,000 on gunbroker--used). They are back now, so life is good if I ever decide to pull the trigger.

Counterpoint: I've been told (by someone who claims to have done it a lot) that a 10 mm auto with the right extractor (specifically, a Glock) can also shoot .40 by headspacing on the extractor, so this may not be strictly a revolver-only thing
Truth. At least in my case, I’d run .40 thru my Glock 20 all day. Would bulge the brass pretty good but that was it. I did end up getting a dedicated lone wolf barrel for it but also lost interest in the caliber.

I have nothing else to contribute, sorry. In my case I’d lean revolver because I’ve never taken to 1911s no matter how much I’ve tried.
Nobody ever eat fifty eggs.