Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

...who, of course, is not partial to the idea people should not be allowed to buy EBRs when America's aggressive, hostile police forces can.
Killer Mike, Maher Defend Gun Rights: I'm Not Comfortable Being Asked To Be Unarmed And Police Are Not
From the transcript:
ROBERT REICH, FMR. SECRETARY OF LABOR: I couldn't agree with you more in terms of equal rights. I mean, let's face it, this is not a country that distinguishes itself with equal rights on a racial basis. But there is a difference between that point I think and maintaining that we have to get rid of assault weapons, we've got to have universal background checks. That is absolutely critical.
REICH: They were defined in 1994 in the Assault Weapons Ban which went into effect and I was there and all I know is that for the 10 years, from 1994 to 2004, when the Republicans got rid of the Assault Weapons Ban there was a 42% drop in mass killings, defined as killings of 5 people or more at the same time.

Now, you can define assault weapons any way you want but I am just telling you that we had a law. Let's go back to the law.
Last edited by DispositionMatrix on Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Robert Reich drops his AWB knowledge on Killer Mike...

I couldn't get that link to work, this one does. Good interview.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... e_not.html
MAHER: Why is that critical? Because one of the problems gun people have with liberals talking about guns is that liberals don't know what they're talking about guns.

KILLER MIKE: At all.

MAHER: I'm not a gun expert. I don't like guns. I've said many times that I have a gun, because self-reliance. And because the police might not get there, yada yada yada.

But there was I think only 400 deaths from all types of rifles last year. I don't know if that is the key issue. It's a big applause break for liberals when you say assault weapons, but the Virginia Tech shooting was the biggest one ever and that was a handgun.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.
http://www.politifact.com/florida/state ... ssault-we/

Similar claims by other folks have proven to be mostly false, and the studies following the AWB expiration showed no real effect. Also worth noting, his specifically called out 5 or more people dying in a mass shooting, which is a different statistic than the 4 that is normally used by congress, and is also different than the "new math" of using 3 or more people injured. Lies, damned lies, and statistics- and Robert knows what he's doing with statistics.

Killer Mike did a great job IMO in that interview, raising salient points- and surprisingly, so did Bill who often annoys me.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.

Similar claims by other folks have proven to be mostly false, and the studies following the AWB expiration showed no real effect. Also worth noting, his specifically called out 5 or more people dying in a mass shooting, which is a different statistic than the 4 that is normally used by congress, and is also different than the "new math" of using 3 or more people injured. Lies, damned lies, and statistics- and Robert knows what he's doing with statistics.

Killer Mike did a great job IMO in that interview, raising salient points- and surprisingly, so did Bill who often annoys me.
The number of guns in America exploded after the AWB passed and the MSR became the most popular firearm because of the AWB. Unintended consequences abound when you try to prohibit otherwise law-abiding people the things they want.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Also worth noting, even during the AWB, people still bought AR-15's and the like. Just as with current state level bans, simply modifying the features of the rifle to become compliant meant there was no real impact in availability. And if someone tries to tell me that pistol grips or flash hiders are why we have mass shootings, I'll come way out ahead as there are many, many bridges available for cut rate deals I can sell them.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gu ... ly-banned/
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Seriously, I can't friggin stand it. Being a gear nut sucks.

I have zero need for one of these. Not one need. But the more we talk about these things I wanna friggin buy one.

Just when I think I got it outta my head, like a bad miley cyrus song, BOOM someone else is in the news talkin about them.

And I hate to say it. But every friggin time they talk about all the things that make them mass murder machines, I start checkin off a list in my head of cool shit.

Pistol grip? Cool shit
Adjustable stocks? Cool shit
30 round magazines? Cool shit
Flash hiders? Cool shit
Forward hand grip? Cool shit
Bayonet? Yeah let's just toss a short sword at the end. COOL SHIT.

If my will power doesn't hold I dunno what's gonna happen.

senorgrand wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 pm
shinzen wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:23 pm Reich, as noted in another thread I believe when his gun violence video came out, is misrepresenting the numbers at best.

The number of guns in America exploded after the AWB passed and the MSR became the most popular firearm because of the AWB. Unintended consequences abound when you try to prohibit otherwise law-abiding people the things they want.
You're both 100% right. The ban was a scam, after the ban everywhere I went all I ever saw was ARs Minis and tarted up looking SKS carbines. I stopped going to gunshops because of it. I don't hold much stock for Mr Reich, to me he is just another former member of the clinton machine that is responsible for the destruction of the democratic party.