Re: Whoa!

Useless gesture that doesn't even address the issue or the tool of choice in Chicago's gun problem. They might as well have put a tank sharing program there to attempt to make a point about gang violence problems in Chicago.

But the goal is to stay relevant when lying, get semi-autos banned, and after the legislation is in place, expand it to include everything else. Kudos to them for their continued con job. The same money spent on root cause mitigation might have actually saved a life or several.
Last edited by inomaha on Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

It's propaganda parading as art. It's a mix of a political organization's current misleading advertising push and local government support. Nothing in the article has a basis in reality. Just read what the person allowed to put it up has to say and there's no truth to their statement. No truth that Chicago has and AR15 problem. No truth that it's as easy for people to get guns as it is to rent a bike. Etc., Etc.

It's not art. That's like saying the NRA producing a campaign ad for a congressman is art. It's simply a different medium. If Chicago is going to allow this sort of "art" the NRA should be allowed to put some up too. But what's their chances of getting a permit?
Brian

inomaha wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm It's propaganda parading as art. It's a mix of a political organization's current misleading advertising push and local government support. Nothing in the article has a basis in reality. Just read what the person allowed to put it up has to say and there's no truth to their statement. No truth that Chicago has and AR15 problem. No truth that it's as easy for people to get guns as it is to rent a bike. Etc., Etc.

It's not art. That's like saying the NRA producing a campaign ad for a congressman is art. It's simply a different medium. If Chicago is going to allow this sort of "art" the NRA should be allowed to put some up too. But what's their chances of getting a permit?
Probably would have been more effective (and accurate) if it was a bunch of polymer wonder 9s instead of ARs.

Gibberish and silly street theater.
Shock-value and sensationalism from the anti-gun crowd...I guess that's the strategy, to spread mis-information, supported by made-up statistics and have kids (what about the kids?) push this nonsense.
"Why does Chicago have so many gun related deaths when Illinois has some of the toughest gun control laws"?
"When you rent a bike it's easy. It's easy to just rent a gun and it's easy to kill a person with it," tourist Omar Bahey Eldin, 12 poor deluded lad...who's coaching this child?

Got laws?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

featureless wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 pm That's kind of awesome? I hate it when I like and dislike something at the same time. Must be art.
This is also my reaction. The people behind it are gun grabbers but still, whomever they commissioned to make this installation wasn't paid enough.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

I think that real Gun Sharing Stations might actually become mandated by law here if some Georgia politician saw that display. Gotta keep us safe from ISIS and MS-13!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm I think that real Gun Sharing Stations might actually become mandated by law here if some Georgia politician saw that display. Gotta keep us safe from ISIS and MS-13!
Yeah, that's what I'm finding interesting about this piece. With a few changes it could indeed send that message.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

I give them kudos for creativity, but it both exaggerates how easy it is to get an AR and it's definitely not a legal way to get one. Art is interpretation, it's not journalism.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm I give them kudos for creativity, but it both exaggerates how easy it is to get an AR and it's definitely not a legal way to get one. Art is interpretation, it's not journalism.
Obviously true. However, it really does seem like something that would be welcomed in some places (like where I live) and available only to certain 'trusted, trained' people like school teachers.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

KlownKannon wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:50 am
K9s wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm I think that real Gun Sharing Stations might actually become mandated by law here if some Georgia politician saw that display. Gotta keep us safe from ISIS and MS-13!
Yeah, that's what I'm finding interesting about this piece. With a few changes it could indeed send that message.
I'd be pissed walking up to and finding out it wasn't real! :roflmao:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I loves Art.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 pm
KlownKannon wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:50 am
I'd be pissed walking up to and finding out it wasn't real! :roflmao:
Same. That's what they have range rentals for. I always find myself wanting to try the weapons they don't have at the range though.

Clever, but completely misleading. Try walking out of a managed range with a rental gun and then you might be making a point if you want to call it "performance art" rather than an attempted felony.

I'm somewhat reminded of how so many local TV reporters go after the low-hanging fruit of a story on "just how easy is it to get hold of an AR" by going out and...buying one, in a perfectly legal manner, as if a professional adult with no criminal record and even some measure of local celebrity status could possibly have a problem doing this. Wow, this guy is the next Bob Woodward. Someone give him a Pulitzer. :roll:
- pzc

Like putting down the neighbor's dog then returning it on the way to Sunday Service?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi