Re: Why I hate your fucking muzzle brake

ICanEatFiftyEggs wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:07 pm
Marlene wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:50 pm Your useless fucking muzzle brake on your piece of shit no recoil Amateur Rifle that you shoot all over the paper is fucking killing me.
Especially when we're at the 25 yard, indoor range, and they're shooting .308, and we're at the end of the range against the wall. That was some shit.
As someone who was recently at a 25 yard, indoor range...I can attest to it being some shit.

Guy on my right was, "teaching" his girlfriend how to shoot an AKSU Pistol with the worst muzzlebreak in the history of the world. It was loud, very loud. That's also factoring it he was two lanes over and I had numerous layers of ballistic glass between himself and my lane. His girlfriend could barely control it and he was all over the place at 10 yards.

In contrast, the guy on my left was shooting a suppressed FN-SCAR-H and it barely registered on my hearing pro. It was barely a bottle-uncapping's worth of sound.

FFS, muzzlebraked people...go shoot somewhere else or not at all. :thumbdown:
LGC Texas - Vice President

Why I hate your fucking muzzle brake

I’ve been that asshole. A couple of years ago I had a Keltec PLR - their plastic pistol chambered in 5.56- with a bird cage “flash hider” (or is it a muzzle break?) Either way, with a 9in barrel it’s damned loud. Inaugural trip to friends (indoor) range. I had a limited goal of pumping 50 rds through it to check function. A nice couple to the left shooting together. An introductory lesson with instructor and new shooter on the right. I told them what I was doing and that it would be loud. I waited until they had a break and proceeded. Those folks were fine (although the new shooter was curious as to what I would use the gun for, and I didn’t really have a ready answer). At the end of the second magazine, I look around, several other folks had stopped and were watching from behind. No one said anything but I did have the sense that I had disturbed the peace and quiet of the shooting range...To me it wasn’t louder or more concussive than a .357. But I had discounted how much the sound projects to the side. Lesson learned. I now use linear comps. (Or on the AK pistols a 4 piece Bulgarian style muzzle device.) I also don’t shoot rifle calibers indoors much.

oh boy.

This why i love shooting on off days when the range is closed to the public.

But what do you do when an otherwise really nice person is next to you with a muzzlebrake? I feel bad about moving. But as soon as I move i KNOW someone will come and set up next to me with a ...wait for it...

muzzlebrake.

We need a muzzlebrake intervention protocol...
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

senorgrand wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:04 pm You know, this has me thinking. I'm window shopping for a used 44 mag wheelgun and it seems more than a few are ported and some even have brakes. Are these much louder too? I think I'd prefer a plain muzzle, but sometimes you can't be too picky when a good used gun comes along.
Cleaning a "ported" barrel is a major pain in the pants.

Also it is of little to no use in my opinion. YMMV

Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5in barrel (keep saying this over and over to yourself).
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

Rickoshay wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 pm
senorgrand wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:04 pm You know, this has me thinking. I'm window shopping for a used 44 mag wheelgun and it seems more than a few are ported and some even have brakes. Are these much louder too? I think I'd prefer a plain muzzle, but sometimes you can't be too picky when a good used gun comes along.
Cleaning a "ported" barrel is a major pain in the pants.

Also it is of little to no use in my opinion. YMMV

Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5in barrel (keep saying this over and over to yourself).
No it is Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 in and Ruger Alaskan saying over and over. :yahoo:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I have have not shot a muzzle break but have shot short barrel rifles with a lot of muzzle blast. To me, the concussion is worse than the recoil itself. I'd rather shoot my 7mm rem mag than my brother's 7mm-08.

When you are shooting something like a 338 or 375, I think the discussion of a break may come into play because it is a form of torture to shoot more than a couple shots. But to put a brake on much much lesser cartridges is very silly imo. But then again, I am just a humble hunter and not a target shooter...

A-EFFING-MEN! I wind up beside "this person" about a third of the time I'm at the range under the covered section and with a roof overhead, the compression affects every shooter under it. I've yet to see one possessing a target that DOESN'T look like someone patterning a 410 at 100 yards.
“We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it.”
― Ernesto Che Guevara

The few ported rifles at my range drove me away from rifle shooting. I'd see a ported rifle and I'd start readying my stuff to depart, and it got so I dreaded even planning to go. I don't believe I've shot a rifle now for about nine years, and that was before the muzzle brake ("muzzle break" is something else) craze.

Thanks to Uncle Sam and the VA I now proudly sport two state-of-the-art hearing aids. Life isn't perfect - I still can't tell what direction high-pitched sounds come from, and though I say "what?" a lot less, radios or other conversations completely jam the conversation I'm having.

It's not all firearms, however. I lost a good part of my hearing - the high part - in Uncle Sam's jets, which is why he's paying for my hearing aids. Firearms are becoming something that I do now just often enough to maintain a level of proficiency with my carry weapons - that and a couple of .22 pistols for fun.

Let me urge you that still avoid saying, "what?" to leave the area when a concussive noise is noticeable, even if you've planned the trip for some time. Walking around in a humming haze and being unable to follow friends' conversation is really no fun.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jaywalker wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm The few ported rifles at my range drove me away from rifle shooting. I'd see a ported rifle and I'd start readying my stuff to depart, and it got so I dreaded even planning to go. I don't believe I've shot a rifle now for about nine years, and that was before the muzzle brake ("muzzle break" is something else) craze.

Thanks to Uncle Sam and the VA I now proudly sport two state-of-the-art hearing aids. Life isn't perfect - I still can't tell what direction high-pitched sounds come from, and though I say "what?" a lot less, radios or other conversations completely jam the conversation I'm having.

It's not all firearms, however. I lost a good part of my hearing - the high part - in Uncle Sam's jets, which is why he's paying for my hearing aids. Firearms are becoming something that I do now just often enough to maintain a level of proficiency with my carry weapons - that and a couple of .22 pistols for fun.

Let me urge you that still avoid saying, "what?" to leave the area when a concussive noise is noticeable, even if you've planned the trip for some time. Walking around in a humming haze and being unable to follow friends' conversation is really no fun.
I hear you loud and clear due to my $6000.00 hearing aides. Maybe Uncle’s B-52s doing low level touch and go over my house or the Federal Q2 sirens on the fire trucks right over my head with 120 decibels. Later the ambulance sirens and shooting without proper protection. It could also be the leaf blowers and the high pitch squeal of edgers and trimmers. These may be the causes my hearing loss.? But it could also be the forty years of marriage with the selective hearing loss and the “ Honey, what did you say” that brought about the need for hearing aides. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Marlene wrote:Just got a rifle with threaded barrel. Might have to find the goofiest trumpet funnel available.
A thread protector will work just fine without increasing the noise at all...

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

I installed a Area 419 Hellfire Brake on my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. Tamed the recoil to like that of a .223. I didn't notice it was all that much louder to (still not near as loud as my brothers Les Baer AR in .223 which has no muzzle device at all!) but it sure pissed off the guys near me on the range. Even though I was there first. Anyway...

Due to the shitty looks and constant complaining I removed mine and went back to a thread protector just to keep the Peace and not be "That Guy" at the range. That and being banned at another forum for having an argument about it.

This Brake Hate is a very interesting phenomenon to me. I find it interesting that those of us who use them are vilified as assholes ( obviously we do it just to be annoying - like loud pipes on motorcycles) for using them but the folks who don't use them and are sensitive to the extra noise don't need to defer to me when I'm shooting on the 200 yard range and have been there 20 minutes before Mr. Sensitive showed up and started stomping around holding his head and casting filthy looks and making gestures at me. Brake users are immediately cast as being confrontational or rude range buddies like it's a deliberate act or completely insensitive to "other people" which I'm not.

I don't get it. I comply to keep the Peace but I don't get it. I guess I *am* an asshole.... :sad:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

So I've been watching this thread cause I like the discussion about stuff. And in my opinion the second best way to learn about something is to watch people go back and forth with a love hare conversation.

So far as I can easily read, they are loud as fuck.

Now maybe this is naivete from being new to shooting, it also may be due to me already having rock and roll ears, but I own only a basic set of muffs for hesring protection, and I know I've been next to someone at the range with a muzzle break, and to be frank I havent heard anything so loud that its been problematic.

That being said, I usually spend a lot of time at the range when I go and I'm there longer than most so anyone who shows up usually is gone and I'm still hangin around, or they show up near whe I've had my fill. So my whole range trip isn't often dominated by being next to one person the entire time.

But I just haven't noticed a big deal. Am I missin somethin?