Finish treatment-CMP Service Grade wood stock

I'm going to do a field strip and lube/grease on my M1. I do have a concern about the CMP Service Grade wood stock. I don't know what finish is on it and how I should maintain it. (It looks fine the way it is, but I'm not sure if it has already been treated or sealed.) Tips appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: according to CMP the finish is a Minwax stain.
Last edited by sikacz on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_5136.JPG

Re: The CMP Service Grade wood stock

lurker wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:06 ammaybe ask CMP?
I've tried asking on their forum in a previously started thread on CMP stocks. May have to e-mail them. Or go into some specific section of their forum for specific questions to the CMP. I didn't think this was a hard question and figured someone had to have thought of it before me. Oh well, lol.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I placed a question in the ask CMP section. Hopefully someone from CMP will answer. I like the look now and if it's only a stain then I'd like try the boiled linseed Elmo mention using as well. I don't really even want to sand it at all. I'd like at most a satin finish and prefer the almost matte look it has now.

The response from CMP is that the stock has a Minwax stain on it to match the parts. Mine match well enough and I really don't care to strip or sand it. So do I still linseed oil it or what? They pointed me to a thread that left me more confused than before. It mentioned something about potential for a blotchy finish, but it was not clear from what. Also mentioned many stripped or sanded theirs and ended up with a matching issue. (Scratching head....)

If it truly is just minwax stain, it won't do anything to protect the stock. A stain only changes the color of the wood.

I'd likely go with the recommended blo over the stain. Application is a multi week process. Instructions on the back of the can. Clean with mineral spirits first to remove any oils. Dry your rags flat prior to disposal to avoid spontaneous combustion. Have fun. :)

Might PM cdfingers, I've seen at least one refinishing thread by him.

featureless wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm If it truly is just minwax stain, it won't do anything to protect the stock. A stain only changes the color of the wood.

I'd likely go with the recommended blo over the stain. Application is a multi week process. Instructions on the back of the can. Clean with mineral spirits first to remove any oils. Dry your rags flat prior to disposal to avoid spontaneous combustion. Have fun. :)

Might PM cdfingers, I've seen at least one refinishing thread by him.
Yep, been searching a bit and the BLO seems like the logical choice.

BLO that is sold today is not the same as what was used years ago. The new stuff doesn't do much of anything without a good hardener. It used to be lead based and worked great. Plus no matter what finish you use it will need to be sanded and whiskered first. I would just stick with the minwax or even softened bees wax.

I have a "special" grade from CMP with a new production stock, and I wanted to oil it up nicely so protect the wood. I just ordered a linseed oil kit (they also have tung oil) and a tub of "gunny paste" (some sort of wax mixture) from Garand Gear. I don't know that you would want to mix oils for the finish, but the gunny wax may help to protect it regardless of the oil used. Though, it should be noted that I haven't received or used it yet, so I can't comment on how well it actually works.

Re: Finish treatment-CMP Service Grade wood stock

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am Mine was a bit thicker. I also found that near the end of the batch, after I'd used it for some time, there was more wax left than other stuff. Might need a healthy stir from time to time. I think it is great stuff.

CDFingers
If it has a non sealed stain can I just apply on top of it without any other prep?

Re: Finish treatment-CMP Service Grade wood stock

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 pm How many coats depends on the penetration. You get penetration with heat. You rub it in. Maybe cheat with a hair dryer. Total two maybe three coats over two months. It will darken over time, so remember that.

CDFingers
If you can do it two to three times over several months does it mean all metal parts have to be taken off or can this be wiped on with the barrel in place?

Attachments
IMG_5145.JPG