Re: AMA endorses gun prohibition

DispositionMatrix wrote:The organization has called "gun violence" a "public health crisis."
American Medical Association endorses gun control
  • Banning gun sales to people younger than 21.
  • Requiring safety training along with licensing and registration.
  • Expanding limits on gun ownership — for example, allowing families of potentially suicidal people to seek a court order removing guns from their possession.
They aren’t endorsing gun prohibition. They are endorsing gun control, and some of their positions are similar to the LGC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwarriorpoet wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:31 pm They aren’t endorsing gun prohibition. They are endorsing gun control, and some of their positions are similar to the LGC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one was omitted from the linked article: — Back laws that would require licensing and safety courses for gun owners and registration of all firearms.

I am very much against registration of things protected by the Constitution. My response above was mostly snark that the AMA might do better addressing health crises if they started with practitioners (and insurance cos that mandate shitty decisions). Root cause, yah know?

featureless wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm One could argue that doctors are a public health crisis since malpractice kills far, far more people every year than guns. John Hopkins says medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US. 250,000 of them. https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/05/03/medical- ... -of-death/

Perhaps they should get their house in order before determining what our 2A rights should be.
Physician, heal thyself.

My Chiropractor told me the number was more like 600,000 patients killed by MD, hospitals, etc.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:43 pm My Chiropractor told me the number was more like 600,000 patients killed by MD, hospitals, etc.
It could be. I was just looking for a verifiable source. Numbers aside, the AMA is not wrong that gun deaths are a crisis. And, as was pointed out, not all of their recommendations are wrong-sighted or against LGC policy. Still, it is more than a little ironic that the AMA feels good about commenting on gun deaths when malpractice deaths are so high. Forest and trees, I guess.

featureless wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 pm One could argue that doctors are a public health crisis since malpractice kills far, far more people every year than guns. John Hopkins says medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US. 250,000 of them. https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/05/03/medical- ... -of-death/

Perhaps they should get their house in order before determining what our 2A rights should be.
Very true. A 2014 JAMA article.
Cardiologists used to worry their patients would suffer when they left to attend professional conferences. Now, a new Harvard study suggests doctors should worry more when they're on the job.

The study, published Friday in the Journal of the American Heart Association, found that patients nationwide who had a heart attack during the biggest interventional cardiology conference of the year fared better than those who got sick in the weeks before or after the conference.

It was either a statistical fluke, or interventional cardiologists — who insert stents to open blocked arteries — are sometimes doing their patients more harm than good.

"I've always wanted to believe that any influence I had on anyone was a positive influence," said interventional cardiologist Kirk Garratt, president of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions.

In the study, researchers looked at the 30-day survival rates of Medicare patients who had heart attacks during the five-day Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics meeting, which is run by the Cardiovascular Research Foundation. They found an additional 1.5% of patients survived heart attacks that occurred during the convention compared with the weeks before and after, said study leader Anupam Jena, an associate professor at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

The difference accounted for thousands of lives saved and couldn't be explained by the number of emergency stents patients received.

When patients enter a hospital during a heart attack, some are immediately taken to a catheterization laboratory, said Robert Yeh, an interventional cardiologist and co-author of the study. There, an interventional cardiologist will implant a stent to prop open a blocked artery.

Research has raised questions about whether stents are required if the patient is stable, but if a blocked artery is causing a heart attack, the data is clear: Get that artery unblocked as soon as possible, he said.

In other heart attack patients, where the cause is less clear, their disease may be managed by medication, usually overseen by general cardiologists, said Yeh, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston.

In the study, the greatest increase in survival rates was among patients who were seen by an interventional cardiologist but didn't receive a stent.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 407739002/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan