Another article about how the Democrats are blowing the election

It's like their election strategy is to drive away as many people as possible.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/n ... ms-w521753
It's all in the name of winning, of course! The kind of winning the Democrats have been doing, presumably, over the last four election cycles – when the party and its strategic wizards presided over a massive loss of power at local, state, and federal levels. Nevertheless, the strategy used over that catastrophic stretch is by and large the same one the party is following this year by, among other things, meddling in local elections (which the Republican Party, as a matter of policy, does not do). "I hope for a wave" in 2018, Nancy Pelosi told the Austin American-Statesman in February, "but I believe you make your wave." Which is exactly what the grown-ups in the Democratic leadership were doing, she said, despite all those annoying catcalls and complaints from the left. "This is a cold-blooded, strategic, focused campaign to win the Congress for the American people," Pelosi said. "We don't waste time. We don't waste energy. We don't waste resources."

They also don't win elections – even with a fast-rising demographic advantage and an electorate that leans more and more leftward in its views. The one thing the Democratic leadership has done undoubtedly well in recent years is divide its own members into warring factions. Which is a kind of achievement, when you consider that the Democrats in 2018 are arguably more ideologically unified than ever before. For all the ballyhooed "divisions" between the progressive and centrist wings of the party, they have little to do with where the party actually stands on policy issues. In the '00s, the Democrats had bitter disagreements over such consequential matters as the Iraq War and abortion rights. The left and center-left still differ on trade policy, and on whether to push for single payer or opt for an Obamacare revamp. But that's about it, as the New America Foundation recently found in a survey of Democrats: The rest of the disagreements are largely matters of tone and strategy – and long-smoldering factional resentments that party leaders can't seem to stop fanning.

If only it didn't matter so much. But in a moment of rising authoritarianism, with democracy itself at stake, the Democrats are the only hope our political system offers for peacefully turning back the Trumpian tide. If the party blows its chance at a House majority, there will be even less of a check on Trump for the last two years of his first term. And so we can only hope against hope – the great "we," that is, that constitutes 60 percent of anti-Trump Americans – that the favorable political currents this year are too strong for even the Democratic Party to drown itself. At this point, it's a thin, wistful hope: Please, Democrats, don't blow this one completely. And it's all we've got.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Another article about how the Democrats are blowing the election

Unfortunately one must follow the money, both parties are just pandering for corporate cash for their own benefit.

The direction the dems took during the clinton years has enriched them greatly and because of that they will not change course. Who is wall streets favorite senator? why it's chuck schummer he has gotten more money from them than any other senator in the history of this country. Who is their favorite congressman? why it's corey booker. Money talks and bullshit walks.

One would think after the loss of the 2016 election across the board, the Dems would have learned something...they didn't.
Loosing big in the House and Senate this time around and during The Great Orange One's last two years would be the icing on the King Cake for Trump and the Reptilians.
I hope the Dems see this and get their act together.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Eris wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

They also don't win elections – even with a fast-rising demographic advantage and an electorate that leans more and more leftward in its views. The one thing the Democratic leadership has done undoubtedly well in recent years is divide its own members into warring factions. Which is a kind of achievement, when you consider that the Democrats in 2018 are arguably more ideologically unified than ever before. For all the ballyhooed "divisions" between the progressive and centrist wings of the party, they have little to do with where the party actually stands on policy issues. In the '00s, the Democrats had bitter disagreements over such consequential matters as the Iraq War and abortion rights. The left and center-left still differ on trade policy, and on whether to push for single payer or opt for an Obamacare revamp. But that's about it, as the New America Foundation recently found in a survey of Democrats: The rest of the disagreements are largely matters of tone and strategy – and long-smoldering factional resentments that party leaders can't seem to stop fanning.
This is the tone now and has been for the last 2 yrs. Yep, the Dems are going to lose....again.

Carl_Spackler wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 am
This is the tone now and has been for the last 2 yrs. Yep, the Dems are going to lose....again.
That article is terrible. Independents elect officials. They outnumber registered Democrats and Republicans combined, and they don't respond well to that sort of partisan garbage. In fact it was the independents, the left, and some democrats that used the last election to send the parties that exact message is a much more refined way. By electing someone both parties didn't necessarily want to be president. Remember the "never Trump" movement was started by Republicans. The message must have been too subtle for them to understand since they still don't seem to get it.

What are the Democrats going to run on other then "not Trump". If they have to lay out the other party's platform and say "not this" to have any platform they aren't running on anything of substance. So far they appear to be running on we hate Trump, we want to take away one of your constitutional rights and make you a criminal, and random vulgarities thrown out across the country.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... pitol.html

I'm not sure the inability to articulate a position, lead by calm conviction, and stop blaming everyone else for your losses is a winning strategy. I thought the Dems were supposed to be the adults in the room. Sure doesn't look like it to me. The more unhinged they become, and the more often it occurs, the more they make Trump appear reasonable. He's not lowering any standards for communication and decorum when the other side is vulgar and violent in their protests.

But oh well, there's no reason to court independents if the sides are happy in their echo chambers.
Brian

inomaha wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 pm That article is terrible. Independents elect officials. They outnumber registered Democrats and Republicans combined, and they don't respond well to that sort of partisan garbage. In fact it was the independents, the left, and some democrats that used the last election to send the parties that exact message is a much more refined way. By electing someone both parties didn't necessarily want to be president. Remember the "never Trump" movement was started by Republicans. The message must have been too subtle for them to understand since they still don't seem to get it.

What are the Democrats going to run on other then "not Trump". If they have to lay out the other party's platform and say "not this" to have any platform they aren't running on anything of substance. So far they appear to be running on we hate Trump, we want to take away one of your constitutional rights and make you a criminal, and random vulgarities thrown out across the country.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... pitol.html

I'm not sure the inability to articulate a position, lead by calm conviction, and stop blaming everyone else for your losses is a winning strategy. I thought the Dems were supposed to be the adults in the room. Sure doesn't look like it to me. The more unhinged they become, and the more often it occurs, the more they make Trump appear reasonable. He's not lowering any standards for communication and decorum when the other side is vulgar and violent in their protests.

But oh well, there's no reason to court independents if the sides are happy in their echo chambers.
Agree. I can't take anyone serious anymore when all they resort to is naming and shaming voters that didn't support their candidate. It's called being a sore loser. But hey, the screaming, shaming and blaming wasn't a winning tactic leading up to the election so let's do it again and see if that works. The ultimate irony here is that I used to be just like those voters back in '00 when Nader threw his hat in the ring. It took me this long to figure out that not everyone will like your candidate and support them. I truly believe we need a multi-party system like Germany that represents more people rather than the 2 party system which often alienates many voters.

We may move towards a stronger multi-party system (we already have more than two parties) in the near future. If the Dems don't listen to the base issues (healthcare & poverty) with legitimate solutions and the Trump party alienates conservatives, I can see a third party rising by 2020 or, certainly, 2024.

However, the new candidates challenging Reps in red states might help transform the Dem party. All over the country, Reps are finally being challenged and donor $$$ are not going to be winning the seats for Reps.

I think we need to wait until after the mid-terms and 2020 elections before we write the obituary for the two main parties. People here are not voting for the party anointed candidates. They are ignoring the Rep and Dem party "chosen" candidates when they don't make sense.

The 2020 census and redistricting is going to be the new battleground. State and Local progressive candidates are the key to the future.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Those of us not so clever about Politics and how all this actually gets done (people like me) are beginning to wonder if "The Democrats" or at least the folks who make the decisions about where The Party is supposed to go and how to combat The Orange Stain aren't maybe taking millions in payola to sit down and shut up and let the Oligarchy (who is paying them to sit down and shut up) run the show.

Nobody is as dumb/stupid as the Democrats are playing to be at this point. There's a plan and it looks like a plan to lose.

Ya gotta wonder why that would be?...or, at least dummies like me wonder.

Anyway, too close to the Midterms to start rolling out credible opposition now....if they were gonna do that they'd have done it. Looks like they are throwing the election. Or at least the mid terms. To dummies like me anyway. Need to get the tin hat out I guess. :sneaky:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I have wondered the same thing sometimes, VooDoo.

Down here, Reps have run for office unopposed widely for a long, long time. I think the Dems have forgotten about us ruby red southern states for so long, they didn't really have a clue how to influence politics down here (Atlanta city dems have had their own thing going on for years). Can you imagine how they would have screwed up the Doug Jones run if they had been involved? The national dems have almost no influence here. I think it is better that way - except that Reps have all the campaign money.

National Dems provide almost no money for candidates here. I am pretty sure it is because the Dems have small amounts of dollars versus Reps and it probably isn't a good use of campaign dollars.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 pm I have wondered the same thing sometimes, VooDoo.

Down here, Reps have run for office unopposed widely for a long, long time. I think the Dems have forgotten about us ruby red southern states for so long, they didn't really have a clue how to influence politics down here (Atlanta city dems have had their own thing going on for years). Can you imagine how they would have screwed up the Doug Jones run if they had been involved? The national dems have almost no influence here. I think it is better that way - except that Reps have all the campaign money.

National Dems provide almost no money for candidates here. I am pretty sure it is because the Dems have small amounts of dollars versus Reps and it probably isn't a good use of campaign dollars.
Don't shit yourself, the dems are rolling in cash.