Can southern red states turn purple?

Just wondering....

Does anyone really think that Texas, Florida, or Georgia can become purple states in 2018? I have no hope for South Carolina, Mississippi, etc. I just want a good showing for GA. There are far more reps here than dems or independents. I don't see Texas going purple anytime soon. Florida doesn't look too good, either. Something HUGE would have to happen for these states to flip a lot of seats in 2018.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Can southern red states turn purple?

Texas - a BIG maybe. Some Dem reps will be elected State & US, but all the main positions will remain in the terrible hands of the hateful party. My wet dream is that O'Rourke whips the smarmy Cruz by a huge margin large enough for that sleazy ass to crawl into his snake hole and never surface again. LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Different cultures and Republicans have been very good at deepening the divide between the red and blue cultures. Democrats haven't helped and we do need strong alternative parties where voters would have more choices. A big part of that is the urban/rural divide which is also cultural.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well, SCOTUS, with the stolen seat has in the last few days, by 5-4 decisions allowed:
Voter suppression
Gerrymandering
Discriminating against Gays
Pregnancy "crisis centers" to DENY critical MEDICAL information to pregnant women and girls about prevention and abortion.
and
Trump's blocking Muslims from travelling to and in the USA.

The ONLY real positive is they FINALLY struck down Korematsu from the WWII Japanese-American internment.

Fuck the Re-Trumplicans!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I think they repudiated Korematsu v US because they realized what was gonna happen next. It was just a warning shot to claim it has nothing to do with this case but bring it up anyway. The Chief Justice wrote:
Finally, the dissent invokes Korematsu v. United States, 323 U. S. 214 (1944). Whatever rhetorical advantage the dissent may see in doing so, Korematsu has nothing to do with this case. The forcible relocation of U. S. citizens to concentration camps, solely and explicitly on the basis of race, is objectively unlawful and outside the scope of Presidential authority. But it is wholly inapt to liken that morally repugnant order to a facially neutral policy denying certain foreign nationals the privilege of admission. See post, at 26–28. The entry suspension is an act that is well within executive authority and could have been taken by any other President—the only question is evaluating the actions of this particular President in promulgating an otherwise valid Proclamation.

The dissent’s reference to Korematsu, however, affords this Court the opportunity to make express what is already obvious: Korematsu was gravely wrong the day it was decided, has been overruled in the court of history, and—to be clear—“has no place in law under the Constitution.” 323 U. S., at 248 (Jackson, J., dissenting).
While Roberts seems bothered by comparisons between the travel ban and Korematsu — calling the comparison “wholly inapt.” The comparison was actually made by none other than Trump himself.

Back when Trump’s travel ban was explicitly a proposal to ban all Muslims from entering the US, Trump told Good Morning America, “What I’m doing is no different than FDR.” He went on to cite multiple executive orders by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, “one of the most highly respected presidents,” that enacted the internment of Japanese Americans.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Equating WW II Japanese internment to today's ban on Muslims is pure unadulterated bullshit and is totally unrelated to what FDR did at the time.

FUCK!!!! This nation is moving backwards at a rapid pace. FDT!!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

SubRosa wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:10 pm Last time I checked, no Muslims have attacked a US naval base en masse...

SubS
Last I checked, no Americans had done that either, but a lot of them were rounded up and put in camps anyway. Racist court rulings are racist no matter what the circumstances.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Wino wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 am Texas - a BIG maybe. Some Dem reps will be elected State & US, but all the main positions will remain in the terrible hands of the hateful party. My wet dream is that O'Rourke whips the smarmy Cruz by a huge margin large enough for that sleazy ass to crawl into his snake hole and never surface again. LOL
As an independent who's disgusted with both mainstream parties, I find the Democratic party can be every bit as hateful, divisive, and intolerant as the hardcore Republicans can be. In the leaked DNC emails from before the last presidential election, they referred to Hispanics as the "taco bowl vote," which doesn't suggest they care very much about the people whose votes they seek to win.

Having some deep red states go purple or at least a little less red could help bring some positive change and break the status quo. However, candidates who respect the constitution need to be elected, not typical Democrats who want to further restrict the 2nd Amendment and other rights and push failed policies that won't protect anyone except criminals, and also not far right Republicans who want to legislate morality, tell people how they should live, and all that BS.

You do realize that those "leaked emails" included deliberately modified and false emails that were attributed to Dems, right? Or do you think Wikileaks released only true information? Maybe watch a little less Faux News?

Also, I have no idea which Dems are "pushing failed policies" that protect ONLY criminals. I believe that most Reps are actually pushing very successful policies to protect criminals (polluters who poison air & water, banks who tanked our economy, etc.) so maybe that is what you meant?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The failed policies I'm referring to include clinging to gun free school zones, releasing violent criminals instead of incarcerating them, pushing for ineffective gun registration schemes, banning so called "assault weapons," and the list goes on.

I agree that there are plenty of Republican politicians pushing harmful policies as well - you listed quite a few good examples. However, they are not solely responsible for the mess we are in. There's plenty of blame to go around.