Re: New primer tech

Well that is interesting. I hope they're right and have come up with something that is even better- would be nice to switch to lead free primers that worked.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Of course, being Federal primers, I'd expect them to still be softer than CCI or Winchester- I wonder if they're any more volatile, as that could make for some less fun reloading sessions.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I like Federal primers, I have found them to be consistently round and perform the best in all of my ammo. By the time I read about the potential for explosions in progressives I had already ran many thousands through my Dillon. I still use them when I can find them.

I'll bet these will be pricey, bismuth is much more expensive than lead. The crap that is released from the depriming stage of reloading besides being bad to breath is also quite abrasive to the press.
It should be cleaned regularly, wearing rubber gloves of course.

Keep what you have, just wash your hands after shooting before you eat anything.

Don't be in a hurry to adopt new priming compounds. There's a reason the US Government stuck with corrosive priming for many years after non-corrosive primers had been developed: the early non=corrosive primers had some problems with quickly going dead, and the old technology worked real well.

Yeah, the caution on new primer compounds is definitely a thing, as CCI has had a lead free option for several years, but it's not done particularly well. The promising part of this one is that it seems that Federal may switch their own ammo to this new compound, which indicates a pretty strong level of faith in the performance, so may well be worth investigating a box or 5.
- Maya Angelou

I always viewed the difference between primers and propellants as primers are really tiny little high explosive packages and they detonate while propellants are solid fuel that are ignited and then deflagrate to move a solid object in accordance with Newton's Third Law of Motion.

After this I'll never look at a jar of Pepto Bismol the same ever again.

I had Wolf small pistol primers which are Tula, and they were lead free. Not sure why, with the Russians it's usually a cost thing, also not sure whatever they used instead wasn't worse, but they were lead free. They are also no longer imported.

Howevah, Fiocchi does sell lead free primers now.
When only cops have guns, it's called a police state.
I carry due to toxic masculinity.......just other people's.

Marlene wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:30 pm the wolf/tula primers were quite popular with long range shooters when they were available. Apparently very consistent.
I assume the match primers, not the regular primers? I've still got about 4000 tula large rifle primers, and they are fine, but I wouldn't call them awesome.
- Maya Angelou

The TulAmmo primers have been excellent in my experience. They were made by Murom in Russia, first brought in by PMC, then by TulAmmo. I don't think there was a match grade primer they brought in. Service Rifle shooters really liked one of the several Small Rifle primer types they brought in, as it had a really thick cup, the better to withstand the ragged-edge-of-disaster pressures many use in their 600 yard loads. I bought a lot of these, but have not gotten to them yet.

TulAmmo/Murom had a family of Lead-free primers, but I have no experience with them. When PMC stopped importing them, they were sold at Fire sale prices. When sanctions were imposed on the Russians and the TulAmmo imported primers could not be brought in anymore, those were sold off at Fire Sale prices also.

What I will be eternally grateful for is that PMC and TulAmmo brought in two different types of Berdan primers in .217" diameter. I use these in 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x39, and they work great.