Re: Why is it SO hard to find a good, lever action .357 Magnum Rifle?

Really?!? I wonder why they did that. I thought these '92s were very good sellers in The States.

Still any '92 will be way cheaper than a '73 any day of the week. Winchester made '94's in .357 as well but of course not as common as in 30-30.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

YankeeTarhee

[Lever action .357]

They seem to be in VERY short supply!
I own a Henry Bigboy Steel. [And I just donned my flame resistant suit]

It is a really nice rifle. Nice to look at. Nice to shoot. Nice to carry.

Not so nice to cycle the action. I wish I loved my Henry. The action is really rough and never seems to be ready to click the next round into place. It feels like every round is almost a jam. I spent months and months deciding to buy the Henry. I would far rather own a Marlin.

In addition to the rough action, I do find the tube feed tiresome. I would rather load from a side gate.

I did put Skinner peep sights on it; now I love the sights too (but not the action.)

I am not sure what your motivation is for wanting this caliber, but I have a caliber problem. It is like a psychosis. :whistle: If I own a firearm in a certain caliber, I MUST stockpile ammo for it. So the fewer calibers of weapons I won, the better. I current only now .357, 9mm (and 22LR). That was my motivation for a .357 long gun. But, as I said, I wish I had the Marlin. And in the ultimate symptom of 'prepper' personality (which is like confessing to some Cardinal sin) I bought a Ruger .357 BlackHawk partially because it ALSO shoots 9mm. (But it is a tack driver and a beautiful firearm. I would post a picture of it in my Doc Hardin holster, but I am too shy. :newhere: )

max129 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 pm I am not sure what your motivation is for wanting this caliber, but I have a caliber problem. It is like a psychosis. :whistle: If I own a firearm in a certain caliber, I MUST stockpile ammo for it. So the fewer calibers of weapons I won, the better. I current only now .357, 9mm (and 22LR). That was my motivation for a .357 long gun. But, as I said, I wish I had the Marlin. And in the ultimate symptom of 'prepper' personality (which is like confessing to some Cardinal sin) I bought a Ruger .357 BlackHawk partially because it ALSO shoots 9mm. (But it is a tack driver and a beautiful firearm. I would post a picture of it in my Doc Hardin holster, but I am too shy. :newhere: )
Well, I don't like the idea of too many calibers. I currently have 3:
1) 9mm for the HK and Sig pistols, and for the PCCs--Beretta Cx4 and Kel-Tec Sub2000. Primarily 2 types of ammo--115 grain FMJ and JHP for home defense
2) .357 Magnum for the Ruger revolver.
3) .38 Special for the Ruger as well.

Since nobody makes a 9mm lever-action rifle, a .357/.38 can share ammo with the Ruger.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

And due to the rimless design of the Parabelum nobody ever will make a levergun in that caliber. But it is a strange bird that would prefer a levergun over an autoloader...

We are kind of a strange lot, aren't we?

Anyway, .45 is strangely addictive to shoot. Both ACP and LC. Big and slow, lands with a whallop. Really feels satisfying with every pull of the trigger. The Rossi 92 in .45lc can be loaded to .44 mag pressures if you were wanting to down buffaloes for whatever reason...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee said:

Anyway, .45 is strangely addictive to shoot. Both ACP and LC. Big and slow, lands with a whallop. Really feels satisfying with every pull of the trigger.
Oh Thanks! Now I will spend a week tamping down my urge to add a 1911 .45 ACP to my collection. As I said before, the ones in the Military were junk piles, but a nice new Springfield ... I really want a .45 ACP, but (As Quigley said, "I never had a use for one.")

Also, Bisbee, I recall that you said "no tube feeders" on lever guns in a prior thread.

+1 on that. Between the action and the tube feed, I am not in love with my Henry.

max129 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am
Bisbee said:

Anyway, .45 is strangely addictive to shoot. Both ACP and LC. Big and slow, lands with a whallop. Really feels satisfying with every pull of the trigger.
Oh Thanks! Now I will spend a week tamping down my urge to add a 1911 .45 ACP to my collection. As I said before, the ones in the Military were junk piles, but a nice new Springfield ... I really want a .45 ACP, but (As Quigley said, "I never had a use for one.")

Also, Bisbee, I recall that you said "no tube feeders" on lever guns in a prior thread.

+1 on that. Between the action and the tube feed, I am not in love with my Henry.
Doesn't everybody need at least one 1911 in their collection? I agree about the .45 ACP- something deliciously satisfying about the oomph. I've got a Ruger SR1911 and it's a joy to shoot. :) Ooops, sorry, back to the lever gun thread...
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bisbee wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:31 pm And due to the rimless design of the Parabelum nobody ever will make a levergun in that caliber. But it is a strange bird that would prefer a levergun over an autoloader...

We are kind of a strange lot, aren't we?

Anyway, .45 is strangely addictive to shoot. Both ACP and LC. Big and slow, lands with a whallop. Really feels satisfying with every pull of the trigger. The Rossi 92 in .45lc can be loaded to .44 mag pressures if you were wanting to down buffaloes for whatever reason...
senorgrand wrote:Yankee is looking for a rifle that will pass muster with NJ's upcoming semi auto ban.
Correct. It's not a question of "prefer". The probability of a NJ ban on all semi-automatics is now fairly low since the other restrictions passed. Only one state senator and the 2 assembly persons from his district pushed it--the state senate majority leader, who pushed the other bills, ignored it. But the probability is definitely greater than zero and COULD become an issue. That is why I, who normally wouldn't want a revolver (let's not get into an argument over why revolvers are better or worse than semis, please!) got one. And why I am looking at a lever-action rifle in .357 like the Ruger revolver.

And, like all expensive purchase, education and knowledge are crucial to making the right purchase.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Yeah, if the current market value of Rossi's were nearing the price of an original Winchester, go with the original and you won't have regrets. I bought my older model a Rossi with the intention to work on polishing the action so it was a project gun more than anything. I love my 20" Rossi for this personal reason. But I've owned the Winnie's before and can say that they are fine guns. And some of the older Chiappa and Umberti were actually Rossi manufactured so the quality of the older Brazilian guns were not far off the Italian replicas.

In the spirit of "edumacation" on the subject of 92's vs 94's, the difference you may know already is that the '94 was originally designed around the 30-30 cartridge whereas the the '92 was designed specifically around the handgun cartridges. So though you may find a '94 in .357 magnum, the action is actually longer and adapted to feed a shorter cartridge. That makes for a slightly "looser" feel when working the lever to load a new round. The '92 feels a little more "precise" if that is the correct term.

The '73 is a completely different animal and has a very luxurious action. But you'll certainly be paying for that privilege (over a grand)!

I'm surprised by Max's review of his Henry since they have a reputation to being well built guns for a fair price. I just don't like the limitations of it's tube fed design so never owned one myself. But like my Rossi, any gun can be worked a little (with a polishing stone) to improve the action feel.

And I've read a little love-hate on the .357 Marlins too. Some Marlins just didn't cycle well while others were as smooth as butter. That's a real crap shoot considering how much the Marlins go for on the secondary market being that they are no longer produced. They are quite collectible as a result so I've never shot a Marlin to know what they are like personally.
Last edited by Bisbee on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, and there's really nothing like the trigger of a 1911. You'll be surprised at how accurate you can shoot with that crisp release... Max.
:D
Actually, you can find 1911's in 9mm which are growing in popularity these days, especially with the conceal carry crowd. Still, a 1911 in .45acp...

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning... Smells like victory!"

max129 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:15 am Now I will spend a week tamping down my urge to add a 1911 .45 ACP to my collection.
You will fail, and you won't be sorry you failed.

About the .357: as many of you know i had one and swapped it off for a .30-30. The gun was too small for me and the .357 is a pistol cartridge, and I have it. So now the rifle matches my body and the cartridge matches the rifle for me.

Just remember that when firing .38's out of those levers, clean it first before shooting .357 or you might weld a case ring in there.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yeah, I had CD's old '94 .357 carbine Winnie and he has my old Marlin 30-30 (which he inexplicably likes to balance emu eggs on for pagan rituals).

I don't believe Marlin is currently making .357 leverguns. Could be wrong but it'd certainly be news to me. A quick check on gunbroker prices confirms my suspicion that no new ones have been hitting the market. It'd be great if they were given that Rossi stopped selling in their '92 .357's (truly a loss).

#18 Post by Bisbee » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:48 pm

Yeah, I had CD's old '94 .357 carbine Winnie and he has my old Marlin 30-30 (which he inexplicably likes to balance emu eggs on for pagan rituals).
And what -precisely- is inexplicable here? :D Pagan rituals are my favorite ...

I really admire the lever rifle and 30-30 package, but that is one more caliber to horde. So I have the .357.

And the counsel to clean before switching to .38 special is very good. I have never had this issue since I use my Henry lever gun to burn up all my excess horde of .357.

I personally have experienced shooting .357 mags after .38's without brushing out the chamber to stunningly bad results in my '92. A case seperation happened when the lever was racked, the extractor ripping off the rimmed base leaving a brass "tube" effectively stuck in the chamber. Took quite a bit of ingenuity to get that thing out of there which rendered that rifle useless for more than a week. Believe me that was a lesson learned!

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 pm I feel like an idiot. I had a bid on a pre-safety .357 JM 1894 Marlin on Gunbroker and should have taken the Buy it Now. Someone else did. Damn!
I'm watching for more of them and it will cost me more.
Yeah, I recently bought a synthesizer from eBay and I just hit buy it now. It seemed to be in good condition (and it really was when I got it) and it was a price I was willing to pay. If those conditions are met, then I think Buy It Now is the way to go. It saves hassle and gets you what you want.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 pm What kind of synthesizer? Moog?

Yeah,I'm watching several others and I'll try to "snipe" the right one1. when it's about to close.
My beloved signif other has given me her blessing....
Got a Roland JP8000. Not analog, but uses digital tech to simulate analog, so I can still make my own custom sounds.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed