Need help dividing the garage -- barrier ideas

OK, I'm losing Paracut.com's global headquarters at the end of the month and need to build a dedicated office in the garage. The small hiccup is that I'm currently renting, so my first choice is to NOT put-up 2x4 sheetrock walls. In addition to keeping my landlord from freaking, I'd like to transfer whatever I build to another garage if I end-up moving.

I'm going to set aside one corner of the garage, so 2 walls will already be standing. I'll have a window, power outlet and a vent (needed for portable a/c) already provided for me. My plan was for my barriers to go all the way to the ceiling (9') so that I don't have to drop a suspended ceiling. I'll be using slab as my floor. Sheetrock is already on the two walls and ceiling.

The purpose of these constructed barriers is three-fold: 1) provide a dedicated office space; 2) provide a method of containing cool air produced by a portable A/C (garage reaches high 90's in summer); 3) produce some way of reducing outside noise.

I found this on the interwebs: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-ho ... ial-139922

I was thinking of modifying this using an actual overhead closet track to suspend the sliding panels (I might have one laying around). I would use this 6' section for my entrance. The remaining perimeter would be suspended via another method (I'm thinking of L-shaped joist hangers attached to the ceiling).

I'm also thinking of modifying the construction of the dividers to better meet my needs. Maybe making a laminate from plywood and rigid insulation, with the insulation on outside of the walls.

I'm guessing my footprint would be 10'x6'.

Any help brainstorming would be appreciated.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Need help dividing the garage -- barrier ideas

You could use modular shelving units from Ikea with plywood screwed to the back to form your “room” and hang a door or heavy curtain in the remaining opening. That way you get privacy and storage and modularity. Your room dimensions would be set by the number of shelving units wide by the number deep. Demountability? I think I invented that word. Lemme know if any of that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marlene wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:48 pm Just use 2” rigid foam. 2x2 on either side of it at the ceiling and at the floor. The floor 2x2 can be attached with VHB double sided tape. If you can only get it in 8’ length, glue pieces together with ordinary caulk as an adhesive. I like your door idea.
Thanks! If I have a bad day, there might be a danger that I'll Kool Aid Man through the wall. ;)

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:22 pm thanks...too big for my needs. Probably will go portable ac. I'm cleaning out the garage to make this happen. Soooooo much crap....
Swamp coolers come in single room residential portable models. No need to duct exhaust.

There are a bunch of these from different manufacturers.
http://www.toptenreviews.com/home/hvac/ ... e-coolers/
Being on the west coast these might be a cost effective solution for a small room with no venting. This doesn't work in Houston for example. Different climate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Swamp coolers are generally great for the desert but truly suck when it's humid like during our monsoon season. Window a/c units will always be smaller and more efficient in cooling the air under any circumstance. You just got to get that stuck window open! I wouldn't recommend venting into a hot garage... not efficient heat exchange. Unless you plan on keeping the garage door open. That'd work.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Evap coolers are fantastic in the right situation- Had one in both Denver and in Sacramento. That said, I tried out one of the smaller portable units and wasn't impressed- the big portable commercial ones work great, but didn't have good luck with the smaller ones. Being able to crack a window is crucial or you'll wind up with a swamp instead of a cooler room. The ones that go into your window are superb, but from the above comments, I don't think that would work in your situation.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

What is the humidity levels during the cooling season in your area of California. Below 30 percent or above 30 percent?
It's going to be pretty pointless to install a portable AC unless you can find a vent for it. Keeping a garage door continuously open may not be a good idea. Now if your garage had a washer dryer setup, you could install a "y" connection to the dryer vent. If the dryer vent has a flap that would need to be replaced with a mesh. The vent duct would still have to be within the limits of the AC's capability.
Since my design expertise is not in your climate zone I'd consult with a local MEP engineer. On paper California seems suited to solutions that are not really possible in my area of Texas. Good luck my friend. I hesitated answering since the climates I know best are near arctic or like Texas.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Swamp coolers are great for those who don't like to iron or have static hair problems. Just get a little window AC unit and a fan. Or, if you're industrious, insulate the garage with some 2 inch foam and tape/foam the seams. The concrete floor should provide plenty of coolness for the day, provided you vent it in the evening. Your next problem will be heat in the winter. Insulation is a good use of petroleum!