Re: Professor bike lock cops a plea...

Mustang wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:20 am
hondo2K0 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:50 pm Apparently you do not understand difference between expunged and judicial dismissed and sealed those are different legal actions
In this case he is next three years on probation and that is his status till the last day and it is not expunged so for next 3 years he is fair game for employers to ask about his probation status
Having even misdemeanor conviction for violent crime is potentially liability for employers
No, hondo, apparently you don't understand. Let me clear it up for you...

From the California courts website:

"What is a dismissal?

If you were convicted of an infraction, a misdemeanor, or a felony and were NOT sentenced to state prison or put under the authority of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, you can petition for a dismissal (people often use the term “expungement” when talking about a “dismissal.”). You are eligible to request a dismissal if you were given county jail time (including jail time for a felony offense), probation, a fine, or a combination of those three types of punishment rather than being sentenced to state prison. If you make a formal request to the court (petition) for a dismissal..."

http://www.courts.ca.gov/1070.htm

from the NOLO website:

In California, the process of expunging or clearing a criminal record is usually called "dismissal," because the case is reopened and the criminal conviction is dismissed. For legal purposes, if your conviction is dismissed, it is as though you never committed the crime. Your record will be changed to reflect the dismissal, and you usually do not have to disclose that you were convicted -- for example, when applying for a job. In fact, it is illegal for most employers in California to ask about an arrest that did not result in a conviction or conviction that was later dismissed (expunged). There are exceptions, such as for jobs with police departments or other criminal justice agencies, or positions that require access to drugs or firearms. (Cal. Pen. Code, § 1203.4; Cal. Lab. Code, § 432.7.)

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/r ... fornia.htm

I can't make it any simpler than that.
Clip Vs mag
As you proved expunged and dismissed are not one the same and those are no interchangeable terms
Once again clip Vs mag
He can ask in three years for dismissal if it is deffred conviction as probation is a form of punishment
He shall be convicted of 3 years of probation time served
Or any job that requires professional license or work with students or vulnerable people aka good luck getting job as a street sweeper with a city

Opinions are like assholes...
Everyone's got one.

So, I believe Prof. Bike-lock definitely got off lightly in court but still won't likely be hired as a professor again by any school that values its reputation. You can take that one to the bank! Or not.

You are all correct to a degree. It makes little sense to argue you are more right than another unless the issue directly impacts your life, property, or income.

BTW, how old am I? Just curious, YT.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:36 pm Opinions are like assholes...
Everyone's got one.

So, I believe Prof. Bike-lock definitely got off lightly in court but still won't likely be hired as a professor again by any school that values its reputation. You can take that one to the bank! Or not.

You are all correct to a degree. It makes little sense to argue you are more right than another unless the issue directly impacts your life, property, or income.

BTW, how old am I? Just curious, YT.
I agree, he got off far too lightly. Just because there are laws doesn't mean that they are enforced, far more money is spent enforcing penal code violations than labor code violations. Employers now days Google applicants, check Facebook and other social media, so they'll find him. He won't have an easy time ahead.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm [
I agree, he got off far too lightly. Just because there are laws doesn't mean that they are enforced, far more money is spent enforcing penal code violations than labor code violations. Employers now days Google applicants, check Facebook and other social media, so they'll find him. He won't have an easy time ahead.
I wish I believed that you are right about this. But I don't. I don't think he will have nearly the rough ride that you predict and certainly not the rough ride he justly deserves.

Just my opinion.
Last edited by Mustang on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hondo2K0 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm Anybody who thinks that 3 year probation is nothing should consider why is there 2million inmates in the USA and how many of them were on probation for the first offense.
I suspect that has much more to do with the individuals involved and their general lack of respect for the law than the rigors of probation...particularly unsupervised probation like the professor got.

hondo2K0 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:00 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 am Just musing...Why do I get the feeling that Hondo is a young person, easily under 40, possibly under 30 (under 40 is young to me) and Mustang's a bit older?
I reserve my reasoning for now...
I wish I was that young but thanks I shall take that as a compliment
Happy to help...
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."