Not really a range report or maskmanship.....

More of a peeve post. My wife hasn't gone to a range in awhile and she said let's go Sunday. I said sure why not. We get signed in and since it was her first time to this range she had to do a waiver. So we put on our ear muffs and head in. We had lane six. The minute I put my bags down two lanes over someone is shooting some huge hand cannon that was disturbing even with muffs on. It was so noisy that my wife had to go put on extra protection, but she was so distracted by then that she said she'd just watch. I suspect it was a fifty caliber or some equally noisy affair. They were mostly shooting at the five yard mark and it looked more like a shotgun spread. Neither of us was impressed. I told her we could go request another lane, but she didn't want to fuss. I started a few rounds at five and then mostly shot at a distance around seven and some at ten. When we got home my wife said at least you shot better than the youngsters a few lanes over. Next time we're going to go there right when it opens either eight or on Sunday at ten. At least she wasn't totally put off and said she's like to go with me again. Next time I hope we get there before the bigger the better crew shows up. Getting her to put on the extra ear plugs was an outing saver. She started to calm down right away. I might try it myself next time.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
IMG_5808.JPG

Re: Not really a range report or maskmanship.....

You have my sympathies. The range I go to doesn't usually have people firing big calibers, though it does happen from time to time, but this range rents full auto's, so automatic fire is a common occurrence and it can be equally distracting. I just try my best to ignore it, though it can be hard. I also worry that now that I'm shooting .45 ACP on a regular basis that I might have become the one bothering other people.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm You have my sympathies. The range I go to doesn't usually have people firing big calibers, though it does happen from time to time, but this range rents full auto's, so automatic fire is a common occurrence and it can be equally distracting. I just try my best to ignore it, though it can be hard. I also worry that now that I'm shooting .45 ACP on a regular basis that I might have become the one bothering other people.
I can assure you a 45 would not have been bothersome. Indoors can be a bit noisy. There was someone there doing 3 shot bursts as well. This was at the Top Gun Range.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:19 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:23 pm You have my sympathies. The range I go to doesn't usually have people firing big calibers, though it does happen from time to time, but this range rents full auto's, so automatic fire is a common occurrence and it can be equally distracting. I just try my best to ignore it, though it can be hard. I also worry that now that I'm shooting .45 ACP on a regular basis that I might have become the one bothering other people.
I can assure you a 45 would not have been bothersome. Indoors can be a bit noisy. There was someone there doing 3 shot bursts as well. This was at the Top Gun Range.
That's where I go. I'm usually there about 2 or 3pm on Saturdays.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm
Cool. Have you been there at 8am on Saturdays?

sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Nope. I don't go *anywhere* at 8am on Saturdays. Today I didn't even get out of bed until 2pm.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:59 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Nope. I don't go *anywhere* at 8am on Saturdays. Today I didn't even get out of bed until 2pm.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :beer: I guess I'll have to tell you what life is like at 8am then! :thumbup: I get up at 6am on weekends to feed the office cats next door and on weekdays at the same time feed ours and go to work. It's not a bad range. I've gone there by myself and with friends and never ran into this issue to this extent. It reminded me of the muzzle brake thread.

Indoors, I always wear foamies under my 32 dB ear muffs. Outdoors, I wear the muffs unless there's a guy at the next table with a gnarly hand cannon. Then at a target change, I screw in my foamies to go under the muffs. Now, one of my Mauser sporters has a cheek piece that bumps my ear muffs, so I wear foamies when I shoot that one. Works fine..

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Ugh, I'm with you. I shoot at indooor places and even at ranges that supposedly have a separate rifle range, they mix everybody together anyway and it's really damn annoying when I'm trying to practice pistol and can feel the percussion from the whatever giant caliber rifle some doof is shooting at 15 feet next to me. I'm always like, shouldn't you be pushing a 3" target out to the end of the 75-foot limit? And forget it if I was there for Bullseye, even doubled up the really loud larger cal rifles make me jump.

I use the amplified muffs with foam underneath. When I'm alone and don't need to talk to anyone I leave the muffs volume off. When I'm with an instructor or friend, I turn the muffs on to top volume and can then hear what people are saying while shots are suppressed. Works really well for indoors. Except for large caliber percussion issues.

SeaDragonTattoo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:33 am Ugh, I'm with you. I shoot at indooor places and even at ranges that supposedly have a separate rifle range, they mix everybody together anyway and it's really damn annoying when I'm trying to practice pistol and can feel the percussion from the whatever giant caliber rifle some doof is shooting at 15 feet next to me. I'm always like, shouldn't you be pushing a 3" target out to the end of the 75-foot limit? And forget it if I was there for Bullseye, even doubled up the really loud larger cal rifles make me jump.

I use the amplified muffs with foam underneath. When I'm alone and don't need to talk to anyone I leave the muffs volume off. When I'm with an instructor or friend, I turn the muffs on to top volume and can then hear what people are saying while shots are suppressed. Works really well for indoors. Except for large caliber percussion issues.
Maybe ou should consider some different muffs. I have amplified muffs, too, but I don't use them indoors because the echo amplifies the noise and the muffs just don't have enough noise suppression for that. Indoors I use some plain muffs that have more sound proofing.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

SeaDragonTattoo wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm I like the amplified ones because I can hear my instructors better with extra plugs and the volume all the way up, than with plain muffs. And I still get the suppressed effect when larger caliber rifles are nearby. It's the perfect solution for me.
Worked fine for my wife after we figured out it was needed. I'm going to do the same next time. I'm also going to ask to be located far away if there are large caliber shooters there.

eelj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 pm I can't understand why anybody would want to shoot any handgun from 357 on up at an indoor range. The big "loudenboomers" are meant for long range, starting at 50yds and then work your way out to 100yds. Some people just need a lot of attention.
Well I for one wouldn't be able to hit anything at 50 yards.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

eelj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:06 pm I can't understand why anybody would want to shoot any handgun from 357 on up at an indoor range. The big "loudenboomers" are meant for long range, starting at 50yds and then work your way out to 100yds. Some people just need a lot of attention.
Agree. Most outdoor ranges have short distance to 25 and 50 for pistol. From they way they were shooting, their skills would improve with a smaller caliber. Could have been tourists too now that I think about it.

Eris wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:22 pm
What distance and caliber do you shoot there?

If you practiced at it you would be surprised at well you could do. Not saying you would be winning matches but you will feel much better about your shooting.

sikacz wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 pm
What distance and caliber do you shoot there?
I shoot .22LR and .45 ACP. Generally at 7 yards, sometimes at 15 (the max they have). With the .22 two handed I'm pretty good, but one handed I get about 4 inch groups. With the .45 I'm still working on keeping 10 shots all in the 6 inch Shoot-N-See targets. I've come a good ways since I started shooting seriously last year, but I still have a long way to go.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

eelj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm
If you practiced at it you would be surprised at well you could do. Not saying you would be winning matches but you will feel much better about your shooting.
I practice every weekend! But I have yet to develop the confidence to try 50 yards. I think two handed with the Mark IV I could probably hit the target a few times out of ten shots, but with the .45? Not at this time.
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm
eelj wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm
I practice every weekend! But I have yet to develop the confidence to try 50 yards. I think two handed with the Mark IV I could probably hit the target a few times out of ten shots, but with the .45? Not at this time.
The max distance in that place is about 50' or so according to their site. I rarely shoot beyond 10 yards. Although I did take a few shots at around 15 yards. Are you shooting close or far?

I looked up tourism and ranges. There's a tour site that uses that range and lists timing for the range between 10-7.

How about not having an outdoor range anywhere around? All I have available are indoor ranges unless I want to travel for 90 or more minutes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 pm
How about not having an outdoor range anywhere around? All I have available are indoor ranges unless I want to travel for 90 or more minutes.
At that point I'd want a smaller caliber.