Two of Texas’s three stooges refuse to debate opponents.

The number two and three stooges in Texas Goverment refuse to debate their opponents.

Dan Patrick former shock jock now Lt. Governor refuses to debate. Just like Ken Paxton or under indictment AG also refusing debae.
The Houston Republican’s political strategist recently told the Texas Tribune that Patrick had no intention of debating his formidable Democratic opponent, Mike Collier.

As a political tactic, that’s understandable. But as a disservice to Texas voters, it’s indefensible. And the lieutenant governor needs to reconsider.

He should follow the lead of our state’s highest elected leader, Gov. Greg Abbott, who has agreed to meet his opponent in a debate broadcast on what amounts to a statewide network of television stations. Sure, it’s on a Friday night when many Texans traditionally attend football games. And maybe it’s a calculated political ploy: challenger Lupe Valdez, former Dallas County Sheriff, has demonstrated such a tenuous grasp on state government issues, Abbott might believe giving her more exposure could actually hurt her fellow Democrats down ballot. Still, the governor deserves credit for offering voters an opportunity to compare the candidates side by side. Even if you don’t care for Abbott’s politics, at least you can’t call him yella.

And in a recent announcement, U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz — an award-winning college debater — joined the brave and bold club by proposing a series of five Friday evening debates against his challenger, U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke.

Patrick, on the other hand, is turning tail on a time-honored tenet of the democratic process. In doing so, he tacitly concedes that Collier is a serious candidate. The Democrat has an MBA and a background in the energy and accounting businesses here in Houston, where he served as a partner for PriceWaterhouseCooper. He offers smart and persuasive arguments against school vouchers, one of Patrick’s favorite causes, and he’s sharply critical of how the state’s Republican leadership has cut state funding for public education and thrown the burden back on local property tax payers. Texas voters would benefit from hearing an exchange of ideas on these and other crucial public policy issues.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinio ... 105591.php
Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a TV interview that he would be “happy to debate anybody on the issues” as he seeks re-election this fall, but he is now backing off that offer by refusing to debate Democrat Justin Nelson as voters decide who to hire as the state's top lawyer.

Paxton instead “will communicate directly with the voters,” his campaign spokesman, Matt Welch, wrote in an emailed statement Thursday in rejecting Nelson’s invitation to debate.

Welch did not respond when asked if Paxton’s previous offer to debate was sincere.

“I’m happy to debate anybody on the issues and I look forward to it,” Paxton said on C-SPAN’s “Newsmakers” program in November.

The Democratic challenger in the attorney general’s election is taking shots at Republican Ken Paxton in a new campaign ad, celebrating a June 25 poll that says the incumbent’s popularity among voters is slipping.

Nelson, a political newcomer and lawyer, has focused his campaign on attacking Paxton’s integrity, reminding voters the attorney general is under indictment in a securities fraud case. Paxton has yet to face trial but is nevertheless considered a favorite in the race given Democrats last won a statewide election since 1994. Democrats are betting a so-called “blue wave” of voters disenfranchised by the Trump administration could make a difference in the November midterm election.

Paxton isn’t the only Texas incumbent to reject invitations to debate. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a Republican who leads the Texas Senate, has refused to debate Democratic challenger Mike Collier. Other Republican statewide officials down the ballot have also indicated they would speak directly to voters, thus avoiding debates which offer Democrats free air time to boost their name recognition.

However, Republicans at the very top of the ticket are open to debating their Democratic challengers. Gov. Greg Abbott is debating with Democratic challenger Lupe Valdez over when to debate this fall and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz has proposed five debates with Democratic U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke.
https://www.chron.com/news/politics/tex ... 110616.php

I wonder if they are getting a bit nervous with the country seeing the crap from the Trump investigation running down hill to many of the incumbent Reptilians tuning for office this election.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Two of Texas’s three stooges refuse to debate opponents.

Wino wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:15 pm These two guys look obnoxious (not to mention criminal and felonious and slimy - IMO), so the less exposure they have the better off they will be. Seriously, they look like creepy crooks.

FDT
They are that. But they have a R behind their name so many will still vote for them. I would love to see them have a C behind their names , especially Ken Paxton. The C stands for Convict.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I've seen Ted Cruz ("award-winning college debater") do what he calls "debate" an opponent. He just lies a lot and spouts bumper sticker slogans with a slimy smile. That isn't a debate. Maybe he should go back to college?

Cruz knows he just needs to cater to his base voters to win. Let's see what Texas does about that.

Valdez really needs to be on her game to debate Abbott. I haven't seen her speak, but Abbott knows how to play the game.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wino wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:44 pm I betting Cruz backs out of his debates with Beto.
I thought that, too, at first. However, Cruz is so confident in his "debate" abilities, that I believe he thinks he will "win" the debates. I assume he has Faux News and other outlets to shout his claims of "victory" all over Texas and play selective out-of-context Beto clips for the next two months?

It is a risk he has to take if his internal polling shows he might lose.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

If DJT wants to show up and campaign, he does it. It doesn't matter if you ask or not. You'll probably get Pence.

We got Pence down here in GA for the primaries. I assume both DJT and Pence will show up here. It will fire up both Dem and Rep voters, so that probably helps Reps here.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Beto's response to kneeling during anthem is worth a watch.

https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics ... nal-anthem

Saw a news item tonight with Beto on a skateboard in some fast food parking lot - would love to see Cruz on one and in a Spanish only debate. LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Judging by Ted Cruz response, Cruz is a lot of things - but he has never been funny or clever. See:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... _cruz.html

"I have not one single memory of a relaxed Ted Cruz, or a joyful Ted Cruz, or an unguarded Ted Cruz. In every mental snapshot he is leaning forward and importuning someone to believe he is charming."

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Seems like Cruz is trying to tell Beto when & where the debates will happen and what they will debate.

Beto pushed back on the dates, places, & subjects and says he wants TWO debates en Español.

Cruz people are now claiming Beto is afraid to debate Cruz.

No matter what anyone says or does, Cruz just lies about it. Will the lies ever stop? Do people in Texas really not care about Cruz's constant lies?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

It's a long read, but worth the effort in it's attempt to explain Cruz & Beto

https://www.gq.com/story/beto-orourke-t ... enate-race

Excerpt:
As for actual debating, Cruz only recently consented to squaring off—on five Friday evenings, up against high school football (an old scheduling trick in Texas to minimize the events). What he wants most to do is turn out his voters, not help O'Rourke reach a big audience.
FDT
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I see that Cruz has been releasing all kinds of negative ads (photos, etc) and claiming Beto is ducking the debates they never agreed to hold. I knew he was going to do that. Cruz is so predictable! He lies and tears down others with his fake outrage. What a moron.

FDT and FTC

- Franklin D. Roosevelt