Finally all the largest city newspapers in Texas go for Beto

The last one of the large Texas cities newspapers has gone for Beto . The Fort Worth Star Telegram was the last to say yes to Beto. This is in Tarrant County the states largest Red county.
U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz represent the hard left and right of American politics.

Neither stands in the middle ground, where the real work is done to lead America.

But only O’Rourke seems interested in making deals or finding middle ground. That is why the El Paso Democrat would make the best senator for Tarrant County’s future, and the future of Texas.

O’Rourke’s “new way” campaign against politics-as-usual has drawn attention, and also money.

But much of what he says, particularly about immigration and healthcare, sounds like what Texas business conservatives used to say before the emergence of New York Republican Donald Trump.

U.S. Sen. John Cornyn says we shouldn’t deport Dreamer students over their parents’ mistakes. Former Gov. Rick Perry, now energy secretary, has said a border wall “doesn’t make sense.” President George W. Bush endorsed a path to legal status for those who came illegally but worked peacefully, supported the economy and showed good character.

These are the same Texas values that O’Rourke now defends.

Texas House Speaker Joe Straus wanted to beef up spending on public schools and find a “Texas solution” to improve healthcare coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

O’Rourke now champions both.

Cruz and O’Rourke both support free trade, which is essential for success in Fort Worth and Texas. Our city is emerging as a leading global distribution center, and Mexico is Texas’ No. 1 trade partner.

But O’Rourke would have more room to oppose the president’s questionable trade and tariff decisions, which threaten Texas.

O’Rourke raised eyebrows here when he called for further review of the locally built Lockheed Martin Aeronautics F-35 fighter jet. But he also says the plane is essential to protect the U.S.’s air superiority, and said he will protect jobs.

This endorsement did not come without some disagreement. Cruz is closer to Texas’ and Tarrant County’s views on issues related to faith and values, and also on energy policy.

But Cruz was elected with no experience in any council or legislature, and it shows. His intransigence prevents him from currying support or negotiating deals to help Texas.

This Editorial Board has recommended conservative Republicans such as George W. Bush and Mitt Romney for president, along with U.S. Sens. John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison.

But Cruz does not measure up. This office needs a reset.

The Star-Telegram Editorial Board endorses Beto O’Rourke for U.S. senator..
https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/e ... k=hpdigest
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Finally all the largest city newspapers in Texas go for Beto

O’Rourke’s “new way” campaign against politics-as-usual has drawn attention, and also money. But much of what he says, particularly about immigration and healthcare, sounds like what Texas business conservatives used to say before the emergence of New York Republican Donald Trump.
Texas conservatives supporting a "ferner" from New York City, that has to hurt.
But Cruz was elected with no experience in any council or legislature, and it shows. His intransigence prevents him from currying support or negotiating deals to help Texas.
That's the opinion of his colleagues in the Senate, he doesn't play well with others in the sand box.

So that's the biggies - Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle and the Star-Telegraph all for Beto.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:39 am That's good. Our local rag also endorsed Beto. I'm worried though. Voting here (SATX) has been heavy EXCEPT where it should be - the Latino communities.
Unscientific and anecdotal.... Some of the Mexican-Americans I know here say most of their families are afraid to go vote.

A few years ago, the Reps used to send out mailers claiming that Police would be at every polling station. The mailers made it clear that, if you have any warrants (unpaid traffic tickets, etc.), you will be taken to jail immediately after showing up to vote. I wonder if there are mailers or rumors or something going out to Latinos about ICE or something. Or maybe it is just the fear of police and ICE since Nov 2016 they expressed after the election.

I hear pundits talking about low Latino turnout, but never seem to be curious about the reason.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

We had several complaints about police loitering around early polling sites. The mayor complained and police chief told them to move away. Since Orange Puke has had instances of deporting citizens, naturalized or native born, even those legal (who would be the only one's voting), I would be afraid to go to poll, too, just in case. I really hate this shit - this is not what my country should be. If this election doesn't damp Puke, we are truly fucked.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am We had several complaints about police loitering around early polling sites. The mayor complained and police chief told them to move away. Since Orange Puke has had instances of deporting citizens, naturalized or native born, even those legal (who would be the only one's voting), I would be afraid to go to poll, too, just in case. I really hate this shit - this is not what my country should be. If this election doesn't damp Puke, we are truly fucked.
I have received the "scare mailers" in the past (they target primarily minority-sounding names or neighborhoods, I guess). It would be pretty easy to pick out who to send the scary mail about ICE since they probably send the "warrants" emails to targeted neighborhoods and/or names.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 am The polls are now showing Beto and Crud neck and neck at 49% each
Thank goodness you don't have a third-party candidate splitting the vote into a runoff or something like that. I hope the young voters show up at the polls.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Beto winning will send shock waves all through the right-wing-nuts, all the way to the nut in the WH.
Of course, I prophesize that if Beto wins, the orange shit-stain will INSTANTLY throw Cruz under the bus, blame Teddy, and take NO responsibility for his loss, despite Cruz tying himself totally to Trump and his policies.

But Beto has to win....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 am Beto winning will send shock waves all through the right-wing-nuts, all the way to the nut in the WH.
Of course, I prophesize that if Beto wins, the orange shit-stain will INSTANTLY throw Cruz under the bus, blame Teddy, and take NO responsibility for his loss, despite Cruz tying himself totally to Trump and his policies.

But Beto has to win....
I would be very happy to see high Latinx & young voter turnout translate into a Cruz loss. It is still Texas, but (like Georgia), it isn't all ten-gallon hats and pickup trucks. I hope the thought of Tent Cities in Texas repulses enough voters.

Hope. Change. Sounds familiar....

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:48 am
TrueTexan wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:15 am The polls are now showing Beto and Crud neck and neck at 49% each
Thank goodness you don't have a third-party candidate splitting the vote into a runoff or something like that. I hope the young voters show up at the polls.
We do have a third party candidate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 pm
K9s wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:48 am
We do have a third party candidate.
Right, but you allow a plurality victory, right? GA is mandatory 50%+1.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Good to know that the Republicans play fair in Texas! :sarcasm:

*Dallas Voters Report Intimidation Outside Polling Locations*

https://www.propublica.org/article/dall ... -locations
Following up on tips received by Electionland, The Dallas Morning News reported on the fierce, often confrontational, and entirely legal electioneering — which some voters described as intimidating — taking place outside some polling locations in the region.
*Image of Bloody Fetus Sent to Beto O’Rourke Supporters*

https://www.propublica.org/article/imag ... supporters
Some residents in Garland, Texas, say they received a postcard featuring an image of a bloody fetus. They have at least one thing in common: yard signs supporting Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke. It is unclear who sent the postcards.
*Korean Translators Barred From Texas Polling Place*

https://www.propublica.org/article/kore ... ling-place
Volunteer Korean translators hoping to help voters understand their ballots say an election judge in one Harris County precinct told them to stand outside the 100-foot electioneering line. According to the county, voters who need a translator must bring their own — volunteers offering their services inside polling places are “simply not allowed.”

- Franklin D. Roosevelt