False claims that ICE Patrol Polling Places

False claims that Immigration and Customs Enforcement is interfering at polling locations have cropped up intermittently over the past two years.

https://www.propublica.org/article/ice- ... ing-places
Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers will not patrol polling locations on Election Day, an ICE spokeswoman said in response to social media rumors of potential voter intimidation from the federal law enforcement agency.

False claims that ICE is interfering at polling locations have cropped up intermittently over the past two years. In the lead-up to the 2016 presidential election, for example, an image spread on Twitter appearing to show an immigration officer arresting someone in line to vote. The image was a hoax.

Concerns re-emerged last week after a wallet-sized flyer bearing the Department of Homeland Security seal, found on a sidewalk in Milwaukee, claimed that ICE officials would patrol polling stations on Election Day. Nicole Alberico, a spokeswoman for ICE, described the flyers as fake.

“Rumors that ICE plans to engage in patrols or enforcement operations at polling locations are false,” Alberico wrote in a statement. “Any flyers or advertisements claiming otherwise are incorrect and not sanctioned by ICE.”

The flyer included a phone number “to report illegal aliens” that redirected to the DHS’ investigations tip line. It also included threatening language, claiming that if voters did not have proper documentation they might “risk immediate detainment.”

Mary Oglesby posted on Facebook about finding the flyer during a visit to Milwaukee. She immediately became suspicious of the handout and contacted the Milwaukee District Attorney’s Office. “You could tell it wasn’t real because the graphics were really bad,” Oglesby said in an interview with ProPublica.

The Milwaukee District Attorney’s Office notified local law enforcement and DHS after receiving the tip, according to a Joshua Mathy, a spokesperson for the office. He added that no other flyers have been reported.

Milwaukee’s election director, Neil Albrecht, said that he was aware of the flyer and that none of his poll workers had reported seeing anything similar at their polling locations.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: False claims that ICE Patrol Polling Places

I figured something like that was happening. They do it to other minorities, so it surprised me I hadn't heard about this yet.

Texas and Georgia have some interesting anti-Korean-American voter stuff going on. Not sure if that is common in other states.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:00 pm I figured something like that was happening. They do it to other minorities, so it surprised me I hadn't heard about this yet.

Texas and Georgia have some interesting anti-Korean-American voter stuff going on. Not sure if that is common in other states.
I saw some of this on the news. It’s a bit overblown. The interpreters were offering their services outside the polling area. I guess they expected they should be allowed to go with the voter to the polling booth. I think if I remember correctly at least four languages were represented in the instructions in my area. At the time I was there some elderly person was given instructions on how to use the machine. Our polling place had, Asian and African Americans as well for officials at the poll. In the story mentioned, it appears to be same as in the news I saw. As an immigrant and an immigrants spouse who has gone through the naturalization process I’m a bit curious that a citizen that is naturalized would not understand English enough to vote. The only scenario I could think of is a Korean born here that never left a Korean community and never learned English. In my experience in Texas, polling places with strong minority communities usually have information posted in that minority language. I will make a side comment, the person getting assistance asked a question of the polling official and from what I could tell, his response was that he could not tell her only show her how to work the machine. I can only guess what she asked. (The way some propositions are worded, it takes a lawyer to understand the intent.)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Yeah, the propositions or whatever are worded for lawyer-speak or they have propagandist wording. You really have to do your homework here to understand them. If someone just walks up to a voting booth and sees them for the first time, I cannot imagine how they would make sense of them. I guess that is part of the problem.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:50 pm Yeah, the propositions or whatever are worded for lawyer-speak or they have propagandist wording. You really have to do your homework here to understand them. If someone just walks up to a voting booth and sees them for the first time, I cannot imagine how they would make sense of them. I guess that is part of the problem.
Absolutely. I walk in only after hours of reading online. Usually the League if Women Voters is a good resource.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.