Re: THE DAY HAS COME

What a disappointing evening for Texas and the nation. Some good, but more of a push than a break through. Depressing to realize the electorate is good at fucking itself.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

And a dead Republican pimp won a landslide in Nevada. Seriously. The dead guy got something like 63% of the vote.

McSally's leading Sinema in Arizona by 12,000 votes--and the Green Party got 38,000! When will Progressives who are "too good to vote AGAINST someone" wake THE FUCK UP?????
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The sad reality is that many greens simply don't hate Trump. While they think he's not good, they also think dems are just as bad.

I can't associate or relate with anybody who equates dems with Trump.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:21 am The sad reality is that many greens simply don't hate Trump. While they think he's not good, they also think dems are just as bad.

I can't associate or relate with anybody who equates dems with Trump.
It's part of why Dems keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They cannot reach those people with messengers like Lujan, Tom Perez, Steny Hoyer, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, people named "Clinton", and the James Carville strategy of conceding races you think you can't win, rather than making the ReThugs FIGHT to keep every seat.

If they've managed to learn ANYTHING at all, it's that state legislatures and governors' chairs are critical, and NOT the "consolation prize" because they determine districts and "voter suppression" laws. Took years and years for them to FINALLY figure that out!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

My US Cong dist stayed red. My Assembly member remains red. My state senator remains red. This is the land of tree nuts, and the other kind, too. Small consolation that my college town re-elected a liberal city council who will allocate monies to house the homeless while making it illegal for them to sit or lie on pubic sidewalks. Democracy is a messy business.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

My county (Bexar) was a proud blue with few exceptions. Beto had like 60% of the vote. The rebubs that won, did so with close margins. The three top Texas Turds, Guv, Lt. Guv and AG all lost in county. As I'd posted early on, if you drew a line from New Mex SE corner straight across Texas to LA border, the north won it for them.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Well, not the blue wave we were promised by any means. But not a red wave, either.

@stiff, the Dems have largely lost me. I still vote for them as the only alternative to the repugs, but there is zero enthusiasm in my vote. Stop with the corporate money. Stop with the wealthy candidates. Stop with the fucking gun control. It was like the third thing out of Pelosis pie hole last night.

Wino wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 am My county (Bexar) was a proud blue with few exceptions. Beto had like 60% of the vote. The rebubs that won, did so with close margins. The three top Texas Turds, Guv, Lt. Guv and AG all lost in county. As I'd posted early on, if you drew a line from New Mex SE corner straight across Texas to LA border, the north won it for them.
Your correct. Dallas went blur but Tarrant County went red as usual. The one bright note is Pete Sessions lost. I just wish Beto would have won so Hedi Cruz could by her second home.

It’s going to be intersting with the AG when he goes to trial and if he gets convicted. Until then he will be cranking out the lawsuits against the dems and Abortion.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

My take on Beto is the same as before the election, gun control and bans lose close elections in Texas. I’m absolutely positive Beto would have won if there was no anti-gun plank and if he had not started with the 30k dead from “gun violence” type ads. Look it’s not rocket science. He lost by a few percentage points, that’s two to three out of a hundred likely democratic voters that either didn’t vote for him, didn’t vote at all or voted for the third party candidate. It’s been estimated that democratic gun ownership is between 30-40 percent. Voter turnout was less than 50 percent. Out of that number elections are won and lost on details and wedge issues. My advice, run a pro-second liberal gun owner next time.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:01 am
Wino wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 am My county (Bexar) was a proud blue with few exceptions. Beto had like 60% of the vote. The rebubs that won, did so with close margins. The three top Texas Turds, Guv, Lt. Guv and AG all lost in county. As I'd posted early on, if you drew a line from New Mex SE corner straight across Texas to LA border, the north won it for them.
Your correct. Dallas went blur but Tarrant County went red as usual. The one bright note is Pete Sessions lost. I just wish Beto would have won so Hedi Cruz could by her second home.

It’s going to be intersting with the AG when he goes to trial and if he gets convicted. Until then he will be cranking out the lawsuits against the dems and Abortion.
I expect Beto got about 10% of the vote in Texas Panhandle. Paxton will eventually go to prison. I'd also recommend they cast him in the next Al Capone movie remake - he would be perfect for the part based on appearance alone. Not a bit sad about Sessions. Couldn't believe Gohmert won with 70% +/- - is North East Texas totally brain dead??

At least the brakes have been applied to slow the Orange Pustules runaway train with Dems taking the House. If they don't truly screw up (what am I thinking) 2020 the repulsive Senate will have many seats in contention as the Dems did this go and maybe the nation can completely stop Puke.

The Dems are morons if they don't drop gun control. They may be able to save face if they just go for universal background checks and safe storage. More than that will see epic fail.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:29 am The Dems are morons if they don't drop gun control. They may be able to save face if they just go for universal background checks and safe storage. More than that will see epic fail.

CDFingers
Yes. But, safe storage that is mandated won’t fly in Texas. Self defense guns need to be loaded and accessible. I believe advocating and preaching safe gun practices will go further. Be responsible and evaluate your personal environment. I believe carrots work better, tax incentives to buy storage and lock devices for guns not being used. Essentially, adopt the current Liberal Gun Club positions. The current democratic platform ignores self defense and so do many of the progressive advocates of gun control measures.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Safe storage is a funny thing to law. We don't really have it in CA. But it's against the law if your gun is accessed and crimed with. I think that's the way to go there. But coupled with that has to be the persuasion that we have to protect our investments from rust and theft. No harm, no foul.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am Safe storage is a funny thing to law. We don't really have it in CA. But it's against the law if your gun is accessed and crimed with. I think that's the way to go there. But coupled with that has to be the persuasion that we have to protect our investments from rust and theft. No harm, no foul.

CDFingers
Even holding gun responsible if their guns are stolen or accessed without permission and used in crime will be a stretch here for some.

sikacz wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:26 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:44 am Safe storage is a funny thing to law. We don't really have it in CA. But it's against the law if your gun is accessed and crimed with. I think that's the way to go there. But coupled with that has to be the persuasion that we have to protect our investments from rust and theft. No harm, no foul.

CDFingers
Even holding gun responsible if their guns are stolen or accessed without permission and used in crime will be a stretch here for some.
It's already law for child access to guns. Can't see as being much of a step here for it to be applied across the board if accessed by anyone with harmful intent.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code ... 46-13.html

Nonchalant or careless gun owners should be made responsible - and that includes myself. I have a tendency to leave my bedside gun accessible 24/7, rather than lock it up when I leave home. Since I live alone, I just don't think about it much, and I should.

Wino wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:26 am

CDFingers
It's already law for child access to guns. Can't see as being much of a step here for it to be applied across the board if accessed by anyone with harmful intent.

https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code ... 46-13.html

Nonchalant or careless gun owners should be made responsible - and that includes myself. I have a tendency to leave my bedside gun accessible 24/7, rather than lock it up when I leave home. Since I live alone, I just don't think about it much, and I should.
It won’t win close elections. I won’t vote for it. I’d rather see an approach that doesn’t mandate, but encourages and pushes for resolutions and reductions in violence by root causes. I agree on not leaving loaded weapons around if you leave your home. I never do. I just don’t believe it’s reasonable to hold me responsible for anyone accessing my home and rooting around for my guns, loading them and going for a crime spree. I prefer carrots to sticks. Do something because it’s good practice, do it because there is a tax break or some such. If there are laws that make me liable, no matter how diligent I am, some over industrious DA will try to prosecute regardless of my actual innocence. That will mean time and money and possible loss of property regardless of the outcome. Just not interested.

The message offered by the dems was very weak. Just like the responses for the results are quite weak. Some are naive enough to think that 3rd party voters will automatically vote for them if there were no 3rd party to vote for.

Later this week the official vote count will come out, I feel that it will show an increase in voter participation in my 8th district. That will be because of Skip Sandman of the Independence party.

If the dems want to truly win they have to listen to the independent voters. For me besides Waltz winning as Governor the best thing to come out of this election is the fact that 2 state reps Mike Sundin

And Rob Ecklund were targeted by the national republican party for defeat. Neither had any help from even the state DFL other than their endorsment and went up against the koch bros and all of their money and BEAT THE FU..... truly David and Goliath in scope. They simply worked with private donations and hit the pavement and won by handsome margins.

sikacz wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 am My take on Beto is the same as before the election, gun control and bans lose close elections in Texas. I’m absolutely positive Beto would have won if there was no anti-gun plank and if he had not started with the 30k dead from “gun violence” type ads. Look it’s not rocket science. He lost by a few percentage points, that’s two to three out of a hundred likely democratic voters that either didn’t vote for him, didn’t vote at all or voted for the third party candidate. It’s been estimated that democratic gun ownership is between 30-40 percent. Voter turnout was less than 50 percent. Out of that number elections are won and lost on details and wedge issues. My advice, run a pro-second liberal gun owner next time.
I agree with you, sikacz. The first thing I wondered last night when the election was called for Cruz is if it was too soon to call the Beto campaign HQ and say 'I told you so' about his anti-gun position.

Cruz immediately started the disinformation campaign that the entire state of Texas was behind him. Trump's on the air right now declaring victory for his agenda.

The day has also come to take down the campaign signs. Some neighbors took down signs and left them at the front door last night while the wife and I were watching the returns in Carlton.

Today I will remove the signs from my old barn on the far side of my property, right on a black top road and if any of the local repug orcs have been shooting at them then its obvious they can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Attachments
DSC00583.JPG

I'm not over the moon with our new Democratic Representative. I don't expect a firebrand who bucks the Dem leadership.

But I AM over the moon that we flipped our district for her! First Dem elected since the last one in 1982--straight GOP ever since, with the Rep getting 60-75% of the vote. But our new Representative won by double digits! And why? Because The Resistance and our branch of Indivisible has been working at it for 2 solid years! And there's only a little recognition of it by her or the Party.