Coming NY anti gun legislation

For any members here in NY or concerned about gun control developments...

Gov. Cuomo was just re-elected and now has both houses of state government controlled by democrats. They are still releasing the names of the victims from the latest tragedy in thousand oaks California and he is already talking about enacting new anti gun laws.

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hudson ... gislature-

For those who are not aware it was a similar circumstance when Cuomo rammed through the "NY SAFE act" after the Newtown shooting. The safe act is one of the most restrictive and convoluted pieces of anti gun legislation ever written in this country.

NY is about to get safe act 2.0

Re: Coming NY anti gun legislation

Coumo wants to be the best with the toughest laws that at the expense of the law abiding citizens. He has to one up the rest of the restrictive states.
Talk is
registration of all long guns
All semi auto firearms registration as assault weapons.
Limiting ammo purchases with in state purchase only.
Registration of all ammo
And I’m sure he has more up his sleeve

It’s going to be a nightmare here soon

AndyH wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:03 am I've asked the mods to move this to "well regulated" - that's where we keep such things.

It sounds like your laws are already pretty crazy (not California or NJ crazy, but getting there). Are any locals fighting back?
Thanks for moving to proper forum my mostske,

IMO They definitely are every bit as bad as nj or ca except ours doesn't get as much national attention and it's written very poorly so no one really even knows exactly what it means.

GTN wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 pm Coumo wants to be the best with the toughest laws that at the expense of the law abiding citizens. He has to one up the rest of the restrictive states.
Talk is
Registration of all ammo

Yes I agree.

Just my opinion but I think he wants to try and position himself for the 2020 presidential race as a candidate who is the toughest on guns and he's going to do it at our expense.

The ongoing saga of politicians throwing things against the wall to see what will stick. Sure would be refreshing to see one of them, just one, say hmm. Maybe we should figure out the why instead of focusing on the what....... Honestly I'm surprised that NY hasn't copied CA's absurd microstamping requirement for new handguns.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Is there a hidden contest between Dems in Ca, NJ, NY and Mass. to see who can come up with the most illogical crappyist restrictive gun laws every time we have a shooting around election time?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

koolaidblue wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:52 am
GTN wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 pm Coumo wants to be the best with the toughest laws that at the expense of the law abiding citizens. He has to one up the rest of the restrictive states.
Talk is
Registration of all ammo

Yes I agree.

Just my opinion but I think he wants to try and position himself for the 2020 presidential race as a candidate who is the toughest on guns and he's going to do it at our expense.
He'd have to out-restrict Newsom:
viewtopic.php?p=688246#p688246

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:17 pm Is there a hidden contest between Dems in Ca, NJ, NY and Mass. to see who can come up with the most illogical crappyist restrictive gun laws every time we have a shooting around election time?
No, not at all. It's right out there, in the open.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

WI used to require a log book for all pistol ammo. Just name, ID, caliber. Had a pair of FBI clones check the book once because someone used a .357 in a robbery in the county. Don't know what came of it. If the govt starts requiring guns to print ID numbers on ammo, I can see 8 shot revolvers getting more popular.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

The idea is the semi auto gun ejects after each shot, spreading evidence each time you shoot. Revolvers don't eject with each shot. Any id on the slug will have to avoid deforming and heat.

Doesn't deal with reloading, stolen ammo, empties picked up at the target range. Someday, law makers will realize that only law abiding people obey laws and scoff laws will always find a way around.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

dougb wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 am WI used to require a log book for all pistol ammo. Just name, ID, caliber. Had a pair of FBI clones check the book once because someone used a .357 in a robbery in the county. Don't know what came of it. If the govt starts requiring guns to print ID numbers on ammo, I can see 8 shot revolvers getting more popular.
And blackpowder and lead bullet molds.
What? This old timey Schofield couldn’t hurt a fly.... ;)

Well that didn't take long at all.

Here is a bill most likely going to be voted on in state legislature in the new session once the newly elected democrats control the state legislature. I caution EVERY person here reading this that this can and will happen in your state. The far reaching abuse of this goes without saying.

If any of you live in N.Y. I strongly urge you to get involved and write, call protest your local representative.

This will apply when either going for your pistol permit, or if you have one then every 5 years when you have to renew it.

For those who don't know, in addition to NICS you also spread have to get character references and undergo A POLICE interview and background check to get a pistol.

The below proposed legislation is in addition to the already intrusive process.

Ok

Ok here it is, in all its beauty:

New York State Assembly | Bill Search and Legislative Information

In order to ascertain whether any social media
55 account or search engine history of an applicant presents any good cause
56 for the denial of a license, the investigating officer shall, after

S. 9191 3

1 obtaining the applicant's consent pursuant to subdivision three of this
2 section, and obtaining any log-in name, password or other means for
3 accessing a personal account, service, or electronic communications
4 device necessary to review such applicant's social media accounts and
5 search engine history, review an applicant's social media accounts for
6 the previous three years and search engine history for the previous year
7 and investigate an applicant's posts or searches related to (i) commonly
8 known profane slurs or biased language used to describe the race, color,
9 national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age,
10 disability or sexual orientation of a person; (ii) threatening the
11 health or safety of another person; (iii) an act of terrorism; or (iv)
12 any other issue deemed necessary by the investigating officer. For the
13 purposes of this subdivision, "social media accounts" shall only include
14 Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram, and "search engine" shall
15 only include Google, Yahoo and Bing. Upon completion of the investi-
16 gation, the police authority shall report the results to the licensing
17 officer without unnecessary delay.
18 (b) All licensees shall be recertified to the division of state police
19 every five years thereafter. Any license issued before the effective
20 date of [the] chapter one of the laws of two thousand thirteen [which
21 added this paragraph] shall be recertified by the licensee on or before
22 January thirty-first, two thousand eighteen, and not less than one year
23 prior to such date, the state police shall send a notice to all license
24 holders who have not recertified by such time. Such recertification
25 shall be in a form as approved by the superintendent of state police,
26 which shall request the license holder's name, date of birth, gender,
27 race, residential address, social security number, consent to have his
28 or her social media accounts and search engine history reviewed and
29 investigated, firearms possessed by such license holder, email address
30 at the option of the license holder and an affirmation that such license
31 holder is not prohibited from possessing firearms. The form may be in an
32 electronic form if so designated by the superintendent of state police.
33 Failure to recertify shall act as a revocation of such license. If the
34 New York state police discover as a result of the recertification proc-
35 ess that a licensee failed to provide a change of address, the New York
36 state police shall not require the licensing officer to revoke such
37 license. In order to ascertain whether any social media account or
38 search engine history of a licensee presents any good cause for the
39 revocation of a license, the New York state police shall, after obtain-
40 ing the licensee's consent pursuant to this subdivision, and obtaining
41 any log-in name, password or other means for accessing a personal
42 account, service, or electronic communications device necessary to
43 review such licensee's social media accounts and search engine history,
44 review a licensee's social media accounts for the previous three years
45 and search engine history for the previous year and investigate posts or
46 searches related to (i) commonly known profane slurs or biased language
47 used to describe the race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender,
48 religion, religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of a
49 person; (ii) threatening the health or safety of another person; (iii)
50 an act of terrorism; or (iv) any other issue deemed necessary by the New
51 York state police. For the purposes of this subdivision, "social media
52 accounts" shall only include Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter and Instagram,
53 and "search engine" shall only include Google, Yahoo and Bing. Upon
54 completion of the investigation, the New York state police shall report
55 the results to the licensee without unnecessary delay.

S. 9191 4

1 § 2. This act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall
2 have become a law. Effective immediately the addition, amendment and/or
3 repeal of any rule or regulation necessary for the implementation of
4 this act on its effective date are authorized to be made and completed
5 on or before such effective date.

Sounds similar to China's new social scoring system to me. There doesn't appear to be any penalty for refusing to give them your social media accounts, though, and the definition of those accounts is laughably limited. This is clearly just an attempt to get people to accept more government surveillance of their lives. If it holds up in court (which I doubt) then there would be more to come later.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Well to you Mr Blue all I can say is this. Your state dem reps don't care about you and your wants and desires. And yes every state will be having a new session in 2019. Every leg. that is controlled by the dems is going to try and enact gun leg. None of them will listen to you or the rest of your buddies on those stupid boards you post on because none of you would be voting for them because of a number of reasons.

What do they care what you want about anything. You will always vote straight gop.

eelj wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:55 pm Well to you Mr Blue all I can say is this. Your state dem reps don't care about you and your wants and desires. And yes every state will be having a new session in 2019. Every leg. that is controlled by the dems is going to try and enact gun leg. None of them will listen to you or the rest of your buddies on those stupid boards you post on because none of you would be voting for them because of a number of reasons.

What do they care what you want about anything. You will always vote straight gop.
By the same token, though, the Dems won't listen to gun owners who vote Dem because they know we would never vote Republican instead.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

eelj wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:55 pm Well to you Mr Blue all I can say is this. Your state dem reps don't care about you and your wants and desires. And yes every state will be having a new session in 2019. Every leg. that is controlled by the dems is going to try and enact gun leg. None of them will listen to you or the rest of your buddies on those stupid boards you post on because none of you would be voting for them because of a number of reasons.

In all fairness and accuracy... When NY passed their first set of draconian anti gun laws "NY SAFE act" many republicans also signed off on it. Republicans had enough numbers to oppose governor Cuomo but they didn't. They sold us out too. Many of them were immediately voted out of office next election cycle and the ones who weren't pretend like they now oppose it.

koolaidblue wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:51 pm

In all fairness and accuracy... When NY passed their first set of draconian anti gun laws "NY SAFE act" many republicans also signed off on it. Republicans had enough numbers to oppose governor Cuomo but they didn't. They sold us out too. Many of them were immediately voted out of office next election cycle and the ones who weren't pretend like they now oppose it.
I'm an old guy who has been involved for many years and have recognized the total bullshit game that both parties play when it comes to this issue. If you're a republican then get involved with your state party and let them know what you think.