Total votes: 63 (91%)
No
Total votes: 2 (3%)
Sorta
Total votes: 4 (6%)
Total votes: 69

Re: Everything you want to know about ARs

Darwinchip wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:48 am I'd guess the "what" has 4 factors
1) Go "bang"
2) Go "bang" without having to clear jams.
3) Go "bang" and not blow up after a few hundred rounds.
4) Hit what is aimed at.

But I'm just guessing.
And your guess completely misses the point of the "what" question. All of you factors should be true of a gun no matter what, if you need to actively specify them there's something wrong. The question I was asking was more to find out what he planned on doing with the rifle.
Someone planning to use the rifle primarily for hunting, for example, might have a greater interest in making it lighter weight so that it's less fatiguing to carry through the woods. Additionally where they're hunting could come into play. Here in southwest Missouri, among the Ozark Mountains and the Mark Twain National Forest, it's less common to have a clear shot at game beyond 100 yards. As such it would be out of the question to choose a shorter barrel (lower muzzle velocity) and lower powered optic (if that were part of the discussion) than someone hunting in areas where 200+ yard shooting was far the norm.
Did I REALLY need to put the "sarcasm alert" emoji? I guess what I think is funny didn't translate. :blink:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm Did I REALLY need to put the "sarcasm alert" emoji? I guess what I think is funny didn't translate. :blink:
happens to me all the time. and lately i'm seeing all over the internet that a guy my age shouldn't care what other people think, but i do. :wall:
:wall: (that's solidarity! :beer2: )
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:52 pm Did I REALLY need to put the "sarcasm alert" emoji? I guess what I think is funny didn't translate. :blink:
Apologies, there's an increasingly fine line between joking and trolling and some of the other forums I frequent lead me to more often assume the latter over the former.

Probably doesn't help that I've been fielding a larger than average number of Bubba-esque gunsmithing questions at work lately either.
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail

Darwinchip wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:47 pm
Apologies, there's an increasingly fine line between joking and trolling and some of the other forums I frequent lead me to more often assume the latter over the former.

Probably doesn't help that I've been fielding a larger than average number of Bubba-esque gunsmithing questions at work lately either.
No problem. I've been accused of a few things here, but trolling is a first. Oh well! :yikes: :see_stars:

people are tense for some reason. i blame the holidays.
shortly after i accidentally ran tommy off of this forum :wtf: , i asked a woman on FB if she is a clown because her homepage has a picture of a woman dressed as a clown. so she accused me of stalking her. rather than deal with the controversy, i bailed out of that group. no, personi'veneverandwillnevermeet, i'm not stalking you.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

scottpdxcanuck wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:29 am I'm looking into an AR-10 build. Finding it to be daunting with the lack of compatibility between manufacturers. Has anyone built one on a "budget"?
It's true that there's no single 'mil spec' (a misnomer, but it works well enough) for AR-10 pattern rifles like their is for AR-15s, but that's not a big deal. Buy an upper and lower from the same company. Since most of the parts will be DPMS pattern, verify that and run. If adding a front hand guard with a top rail, verify if the upper is DPMS-high or DPMS-low and get the associated hand guard/free float tube.

My rifle uses a Palmetto State Armory (PSA) PA-10 upper and lower. The upper is DPMS-low. The PSA bolt is DPMS pattern. The rifle length buffer tube and A2 fixed stock are AR-15 standard, as is the fire control group. The only 'oddity' I have in my build (and the only thing I didn't account for during the initial parts gathering process) is that the 20" Anderson barrel I used has a DPMS extension but an Armalite AR-10 pattern gas port location - so needed the 3/8" longer Armalite AR-10 rifle length gas tube (15.5") rather than the DPMS/AR-15 length tube. I was easily $500 to $700 below the cost of a finished rifle when I built mine just as the last gun drought was starting to ramp up. Sales and patience work well together.

https://308ar.com/ar-10-308-ar-compatib ... nce-guide/
http://out-of-battery.com/palmetto-stat ... atability/
https://www.wingtactical.com/blog/what- ... ar15-ar10/

Excellent well presented article on the AR-15, I have been wanting one for a while and have run the notion through of building one vs buying a Colt.
This lays out everything and answered a number of questions I had.

Thanks!

...and I'm sure I forgot...Welcome aboard! :welcome:
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.