Re: Hunting with a maverick 88

Turkeys wear their own flack jackets. 🦃

You hear funny stories of how they can take a solid load of bird shot enough to blow them off their feet, get up and shake the lead pellets out of their feathers.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ahmed wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:18 am Hi guy's,

Im looking to start hunting turkey this upcoming spring but want to know if my maverick 88 (12 gauge and 20 inch barrel) can be used for the job or if I should invest in a different gun.

Thank You!
Welcome,

As far as turkey hunting based on your questions I have feeling that you have not completed Hunters ED or it has been a long time ago and turkey hunting was not your thing. at any rate, brushing up on Hunters ED would be recommended.

Once again welcome.

Any Mossberg 500 barrel will fit your Maverick, so you may want to look around eBay or GunBroker. I have a 500 with a factory extra-full choke, and it is plenty for turkey at any reasonable range. It is helpful to take some large paper/cardboard pieces and a few different turkey loads to the range and see which patterns best. YouTube is your friend for this if you've never done it before.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
John A. Shedd