Movies & Shows That Got it Wrong!

How about a thread where we post a pic or video clip from a movie or TV show and then pick apart everything they got wrong. Don’t say anything other than the title of the show, just post the pic and let your fellow gun nuts find all the boo boos.

Here’s one from Hogan’s Heroes where almost everything you see is all wrong:
88980BF3-5214-4960-A434-59C215E93E77.jpeg
This could be kind of fun.
Enjoy!

Re: Movies & Shows That Got it Wrong!

Bucolic wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 pm But, but... the theme is the Colonel Bogey March, a Brit march that was composed c WWI.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very famous, written by FJ Ricketts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/100752.stm

Royal Marines Band (starts at 1:10) in Glasgow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPn9M7TLlI
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 pm Isn't that a Thompson sub-machine gun?
And didn't the Nazis use the heil hitler salute rather than traditional one?
Bingo. Plus, the ammo belt on the Thompson carrying German is for holding Mauser ammo.
I suppose he could have captured the SMG, but he should have taken the other gear too.

The salute isn't necessarily wrong. It was usually based on situations. Keep an eye on Sgt. Schultz's rifle though; rather than a Mauser he's packing a Krag-Jorgensen.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

"King Tiger" tanks plowing through the Ardennes Forest during the Battle of the Bulge. (Patton 1970)

The real McCoy at the Tank Museum , Bovington UK
Last edited by JColville on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

highdesert wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Bucolic wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 pm But, but... the theme is the Colonel Bogey March, a Brit march that was composed c WWI.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very famous, written by FJ Ricketts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/100752.stm

Royal Marines Band (starts at 1:10) in Glasgow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPn9M7TLlI
From the linked BBC article: "During the war British troops supplied offensive words to the tune, about Hitler, Goering and Himmler."

Sing it with me:

"Hitler...has only got one ball.
Goering...has two but they are small.
Himmler's... are very sim'lar.
And doctor Goebbels [ph. 'gobles'] has no balls at all!"

So, not an anachronism!
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

JColville wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 pm
HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:42 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 pm Isn't that a Thompson sub-machine gun?
And didn't the Nazis use the heil hitler salute rather than traditional one?
Bingo. Plus, the ammo belt on the Thompson carrying German is for holding Mauser ammo.
I suppose he could have captured the SMG, but he should have taken the other gear too.

The salute isn't necessarily wrong. It was usually based on situations. Keep an eye on Sgt. Schultz's rifle though; rather than a Mauser he's packing a Krag-Jorgensen.
Sgt Schultz’ “Mauser”
2481266E-1B4A-4CFA-A511-43D6923936AC.jpeg

John Banner and Werner Klemperer should both RIP. Klemperer had it in his contract that Colonel Klink could NEVER, EVER win! Both he and Banner fled that Nazis as German Jews.

Siegfried "Sig" Ruman, who played the original Schultz in "Stalag 17" wasn't Jewish but was a dear friend of the Marx Bros, appearing in 3 of their movies (A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, and A Night in Casablanca) (The director Otto Preminger, another Jewish refugee from Germany, played the Colonel). He emigrated to the US in 1924 and portrayed various Nazis in WWII films in the US. I cannot find whether he was naturalized or not, but every reference refers to naturalization records, implying that he became American.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Jeremiah Johnson. Although it was a great movie it got the rifle descriptions all wrong. Round ball guns were not designated by caliber but by gauge. So when he was complaining about only having a Hawken 30 it was actually a 53 cal rifle. When he pried Hatchet Jacks Hawken from his cold dead hands it would have been much more realistic if he said "oh goody, a 62 caliber Hawken".

For tv shows the history channels "Vikings" really takes the cake. They manage to get virtually everything wrong.

Do any of you go to the Internet Movie Firearms Database? I've enjoyed reading about the firearms you see in all those action movies. They discuss the firearm and a little about the scene in which it is used. They focus on small arms, not missiles and the like. They don't include fictional weapons but do point out modifications to standard versions. And of course they point out continuity errors where the person starts out in the scene with one weapon and for some reason is holding a different one.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

CasualObserver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm Do any of you go to the Internet Movie Firearms Database? I've enjoyed reading about the firearms you see in all those action movies. They discuss the firearm and a little about the scene in which it is used. They focus on small arms, not missiles and the like. They don't include fictional weapons but do point out modifications to standard versions. And of course they point out continuity errors where the person starts out in the scene with one weapon and for some reason is holding a different one.

I go there quite often, it's not always up to date because it's probably manned by volunteers. I like that they do screen grabs which is the best way to identify firearms. Really surprised they don't have all three seasons of Fauda, the first season came out in 2015.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 pm
CasualObserver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 pm Do any of you go to the Internet Movie Firearms Database? I've enjoyed reading about the firearms you see in all those action movies. They discuss the firearm and a little about the scene in which it is used. They focus on small arms, not missiles and the like. They don't include fictional weapons but do point out modifications to standard versions. And of course they point out continuity errors where the person starts out in the scene with one weapon and for some reason is holding a different one.

I go there quite often, it's not always up to date because it's probably manned by volunteers. I like that they do screen grabs which is the best way to identify firearms. Really surprised they don't have all three seasons of Fauda, the first season came out in 2015.
Not familiar with Fauda. What do you think of the show? Will have to check it out. You know, Israeli guns and all.

CasualObserver wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 pm

Not familiar with Fauda. What do you think of the show? Will have to check it out. You know, Israeli guns and all.
It's created and written by Avi Issacharoff and Lior Raz - Issacharoff is a distinguished international journalist who has traveled widely in the Middle East. Lior Raz is the star and and belonged to a commando unit similar to what is portrayed in the series and a lot of the actors have military experience. They've known each other since they were teens. Besides being very popular in Israel it's apparently very popular in Arab countries as they mentioned in an interview based on Netflix data. One stated there is more Arabic spoken in the series than Hebrew. They even try to get the local Arab dialects exact.

It's in the original languages with subtitles, they don't want dubbed voices and aren't interested in selling rights for it to be remade in the US. It's a mixed cast, Jews and Arabs and most are bi-lingual Hebrew and Arabic and at times you'll hear English spoken. Avi Issacharoff and Lior Raz both speak perfect English and they have interviews on Youtube if you're interested. They're writing the 4th season right now so probably 2022 when it will be out.

I saw the first series in 2015 when it came out and had qualms about it, but it's Israel not the US. And all Israeli's are not Likud and Bibi Netanyahu supporters and not all Arabs are supporters of Hamas, PLO...

Forgot to mention Glock 17, Beretta 92, SIGs, some 1911, some look-a-likes, Uzi, IWI ... weapons. The team uses Glocks.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/israeli- ... k-francona

I know it's not "guns" but I've been baffled by the ads for the new Croods movie where this prehistoric family is celebrating....Christmas. Flintstones had the same problem. Sure, it was all great imagination of prehistoric analogs to late 50's/early 60's technology....but Christmas and Santa Claus??????
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."